PDA

View Full Version : Free Microsoft Security CD

Byrd
13th March 2004, 10:49 AM
Just a heads up for all those &#39;easy going&#39; Mac users that also use Windows XP <_< .

Putting your details down here (http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp) will score you a 2 CD Microsoft security pack.

And although the site looks a little US-centric, I was successful - recieving my pack yesterday (not from MS, but some consulting firm in NSW - ?) after waiting for three weeks. It&#39;s a good thing to have around.

JB

PeterPE
13th March 2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info bYrd. I had been planning to obtain this CD but had not yet bothered to ascertain how it might be obtained. You saved me the trouble and my order is now in place with MS. :)

jameso
15th March 2004, 08:23 AM
sweet, i just killed my xp install last night =)

jameso

the_argon
15th March 2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up bYrd&#33;

I have just ordered 2&#33; :)

decryption
15th March 2004, 09:07 AM
I saw this on OCAU: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=113240

AutoPatcher 4.5. It&#39;s all the Windows Update stuff on a single CD, I think it&#39;s more up to date than the Microsoft CD they&#39;d send out. You simply download it (241mb), install it, and it updates your entire system with only a single reboot at the end ;)
Good for people who have to do multiple installs.

the_argon
15th March 2004, 09:41 AM
*downloads*

Thanks decryption&#33; should make life easier...

pipsqeek
19th March 2004, 06:45 AM
XP? what&#39;s that? a train or something?

elliminate the problem, use a different OS :D

Steve

PeterPE
19th March 2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 19 2004, 07:45 AM
XP? what&#39;s that? a train or something?

elliminate the problem, use a different OS :D

Steve
Windows XP, especially XP Pro, happens to be a rather powerful, full featured OS.

It&#39;s a pity that it is so bug-ridden, full of security holes like a colander, and such a mongrel to find and do stuff in. And of course, its attempts at aping OSX&#39;s multimedia iApps is pathetic.

But WinXP is surprisingly adept at plug&#39;n&#39;play, winning hands down over previous versions. I praise Microsoft for achieving the impossible: It actually CAN help to run all sorts of obscure hardware that OSX would find impossible to do. Take video cards why must we be required by Apple to only use video cards designed for the Mac instead of every card being cross platform compatible? That one is about drivers. Apple won&#39;t permit Maccers to install video drivers, saying that is just too hard for our users, after all they are absolute cretins when it comes to this sort of thing. So Apple puts a video driver in the OS which is a jack of all trades and a master of none. This is a pet hate of mine. Why does SimCity4 run so crap on even higher spec Macs? Because of the lousy video driver in the OS.

I will never again buy a game ported to the Mac. Games are why I have a top winbox, and XP.

My &#036;0.02

decryption
19th March 2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by PeterPE@Mar 19 2004, 09:25 AM
I will never again buy a game ported to the Mac. Games are why I have a top winbox, and XP.
Yeah, same here.
I have my Athlon XP running Windows 2000, pretty much so I can play Battlefield Vietnam and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004 run like shit on my G5 with the FX5200, which is a &#036;3200 computer, where as the bits and pieces of parts I got together for under &#036;500 plays them with ease.. (maybe not Battlefield Vietnam though :P)
The Macintosh platform is still way too closed hardware wise.

Disko
19th March 2004, 08:57 AM
I got my microsoft security CD today. :D

pipsqeek
19th March 2004, 04:20 PM
I use MS XP Pro. I use it for Games mainly.

But i just don&#39;t get the reasones behind why I have to have an OS that gets fat and porky, slows down and becomes a dog after 6 months of use, so much so that is requires a reinstall.

I don&#39;t get why things shutdown unexpectedly, I don&#39;t get why its such a resource hog when I have 1GB of DDR RAM and its still a dog to run.

My system is a respectable AMD Athlon XP2400+ and all other goodies to make it fast.

But responsiveness, effective use of resources (RAM etc.) are futile.

Each time I turn the machine on, there is a wait in anticapation as to whether its installed apps and games are going to work properly.

At tafe, nearly everyones machine dies is one way or another throught the class time in one day.

Which is why I always sit at my iBook happily typing away.

Great example today....I was using MS word on the PC&#39;s...and I wasn&#39;t the only one who experienced this. Word autosaves every 5-10 mins...funny thing happend, we were all creating this report based on a case study, well...randomly each persons computer failed at one stage or another. Bringing with is a message saying that the disk is full and autosave will not save the document....well guess what happend next?

I went to see something, me being me...checked the file size of the current document, 0KB..hmmm, it tried to save the file....saw that it couldn&#39;t, so it saved a blank document in its place.

Funny thing was that there was 400+MB of free space on the HDD. Last time I checked, a document of any kind does not take up 400MB of space with two pages of text.

This is what pisses me off.

I always say this, i tell my teachers all the time...its not the hardware its the software.

I hope (pray) that Apple never reaches the size and popularity, as much as I hate to say that. Why? I don&#39;t think that viruses will be used to exploit windows vulnerabilities anymore...it will more than likely be the next popular OS.

Each OS out there has major problems with it, its just that MS being so popular and used so much, why would you want to send an MSBlast.exe or MyDOOM virus equivilent to a mac to run, if its only going to effect 5-10% of users.

Truth is, I agree with you. XP did a marvelous job for being "Plug and Play" not "Plug and Pray". but at the end of the day, its not just about one thing that is does good. its a lot of things. I do think that Windows does a great job having to deal with 100&#39;s of different vendors of hardware from motherboards to CD burners. Apple really only deal with specific hardware that they have picked to use in their systems. I think this plays a major part in stability of the OS.

I think I can rightfully give my grievances with most current OS&#39;s because I make it my business to use most of them. Self education. I have found that MacOS X is the best user friendly OS there is, being stable, user friendly and generally easy on the eyes and senses.

This is where my real opinion stands on M&#036; and the rest...I just like poking fun at M&#036; because they are such an easy target...hackers and virus authors seems to think this as well.

I shall elave you with a desktop I made a few months back that I think most will like.

Steve

Shawry
23rd March 2004, 04:57 PM
Just got my security CD today, save me downloading 100mb of updates every time i re-install&#33;&#33; :D

PeterPE
24th March 2004, 06:53 AM
Yeah got mine yesterday too. I nearly tossed it out without opening it. It came in this weird envelope that said something about Torres Strait Islands. I though it was snail-mail spam. Why didn&#39;t Microsnot have its brand on the envelope? Is it too frightened to admit to the need for the content of this CD? If I was Microsnot, I&#39;d be embarrassed, too.

Does it include SP1? At only 100megs I doubt it. I might find out at the next update. Can&#39;t be bothered now. Having way too much fun on me Mac.

Best