PDA

View Full Version : Cannot delete files from SD memory card?

keddi
13th May 2007, 09:50 AM
Hey guys!!

I hope you can help me!!

i have an SD card in my camera, I try to delete files after importing pics to my mac and it won't let me?

I can only do it in the camera, which is a bugger as I would like to use the card to take to the photo printing machines,

The mac says the card is read only, no it's not the little tab on the card, I tried that,

How can I change the card to make it writable???

Thanks for any help!!!

Kerri

ClockWork
13th May 2007, 11:06 AM
Did you use iPhoto to import?

iPhoto has that .... Delete Contents After Importing function. Have you got iPhoto there - or did you manually copy the contents from the card?

tintinaujapon
13th May 2007, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it might be a corrupt card.

Try formatting it within the camera, and then see if it behaves better after that.

I solved a similar problem recently in this way.

Bodhi88
13th May 2007, 06:30 PM
Press apple i, on the files in question. Then see if the files are locked for some reason also at the bottom of that window is the ownership and permissions area change that to read & write...

keddi
13th May 2007, 07:09 PM
It is ok in iPhoto, no worries importing pics, just can't delete them from there either.

I formatted the card in the camera and still no good!

The info window says read only and i cant change it .......

please help!!!!

Byrd
13th May 2007, 07:15 PM
Is the little plastic tab on the SD card itself set to "lock?". You'll see this on the left-hand side of the card, facing up - it might be hard to see ...

JB

keddi
13th May 2007, 08:51 PM
Nope! tried that too, i can't work it out, it has happened to two cards now that I have used on my mac, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bodhi88
13th May 2007, 09:08 PM
sounds suspect, I think its some sort of permissions thing format your disk on the card and try a secured empty trash... If the camera is not attached then its nothing to do with "the mac" your camera will be the problem, what camera do you have?

STK
13th May 2007, 09:09 PM
What brand is it?

stewiesno1
13th May 2007, 10:27 PM
A friend of mine had the same problem with his digital Canon. We could not for the life of us delete photos from the card ( using the Mac ) while it was in the camera. He bought a combo card reader ( for other reasons not just for this problem ) and used that to import photos to his Mac.As soon as he did that , he could delete any files/photos he wanted to from the card. Why ? Still got us stumped , although I would like to find out.
Stewie

keddi
14th May 2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah i have that prob too Stewie!

It's a canon camera , but it did also happen with my Panasonic camera too, tho I can use the camera to delete the files,

i want to put pics on the card to take to the printing labs but I can't do that either, I never plug my cameras into the mac, I just use a memory card reader for things,

it's really confusing and frustrating

stewiesno1
14th May 2007, 04:12 PM
As Simo asked . What brand, size etc. The card's not full is it ? With our little Kodak we attach the camera to our Mac with a USB cable and can drag photos off the card as well as onto it. Likewise we can wipe the card from the camera or from the Mac. The only problem we encountered when we first got this card was we couldn't get the photokiosk at Harvey Normans to read it . Once someone explained that they wont read a card if they have other types of files on them apart from Jpegs, Gifs etc , we were OK . We had left the card Pdf manual on there. Once deleted the kiosk correctly read the card.
I'd take the card and camera back to where you got the card and ask them there about the problem. It'll be a simple answer for sure.
Stewie