View Full Version : 9800Pro --> Mac: What's Wrong With This Hack?

13th March 2004, 10:07 AM
Can't believe some douchebag would do this on a $700 graphics card - no wonder it didn't work! Guess what's wrong with this hack :blink:

First correct guess wins a handful of grass clippings and a supermarket docket, dated 12/03/04.

See here (http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=72&page=2)

13th March 2004, 02:34 PM
Firstly, you can buy this video card all ready set up for a Mac from ATI.

Secondly, it's a lot of work for not much gain. There is no real difference in price between the pee cee model and the Mac model.

Thirdly, one would have to risk a perfectly good working video card to flash the ROM for this one. Talk about risk!

13th March 2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mhollis@Mar 13 2004, 03:34 PM
Firstly, you can buy this video card all ready set up for a Mac from ATI.
Hmm, I knew you could do it.. but have never seen them anywhere.
Do you know how much a 9800 Pro would set me back?

Phase Angle
14th March 2004, 12:02 AM
Well it is an Irish site

14th March 2004, 07:52 AM
Whilst you buy a Radeon 9800 for the Mac the price difference is already large and where this kind of hack really comes in to it's own is in 6 months time when the cost of a PC 9800 has halfed and the Mac price hasn't moved in inch. This is why the Mac Radeon 7000 still costs around 150 AUD when the equivalent PC card costs 60. IIRC the Mac Radeon 7000 has not had a single price cut since it's introduction.

14th March 2004, 09:56 AM
That's right Gothikon... at the moment, a PC Radeon 9800 Pro can be obtained for $450. Although I have no idea as to how much a Mac 9800 is, I'm sure it's a lot more than $450. :(

14th March 2004, 11:01 AM
Umm ... use of heatgun on sensitive components anyone?

14th March 2004, 11:07 AM
more than likely the initial price, which was somewhere around the $900 mark which I think the 9800 Pro XT's are going for now.

Not sure but I wonldn't be far off the mark.

16th March 2004, 09:55 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt all thats involved is flashing the ROM of the video card to a mac one? WHy then is it not possible for him to just flash it back to a PC one? Obviously he would have to do this blind but its certainoly not imposible.

24th March 2004, 10:11 PM
look at that destruction

<insert random but witty, rant about my lame ati pro>

ahhhh, glad thats out

25th March 2004, 07:08 AM

When the firmware of a peice of hardware has gone, it is very difficult to get it back unless you physically replace the ROM chip with a new one.

When a computer starts up, this info helps identify what the component is. Without this, the computer may not know that there is grpahics card connected.

Once everything has started up, the drivers which have been installed allow the card to work properly. Or let the features the card has to work.

When you connect a new device to a PC majority of the time the operating system somehow knows what is it that has been connected. This is what the BIOS like information on the device does.

If this info is not there, then the PC does not know what the component is, therefore you woun&#39;t be able to get the PC to detect is, or install its associated drivers.

This is my impression on what a devices firmware is and does.