PDA

View Full Version : Ti PowerBook broken backlight

sanjay
12th May 2007, 10:51 PM
hey guys

been sussing out a G4 Ti Powerbook (because i think they look the goods and its a cheap way of getting back into macs after a 6 year hiatus) thats got a broken hinge cover (apparently the actual hinge mechanism itself is still fine) and a backlight that doesnt work.

the seller is saying that its the inverter board thats the problem - however isnt very open as to whether its fixable or whether he's ever had it looked at. my question is, is it possible to repair/replace this inverter board thingamajig, or what else could be the problem?

how much would something like this even be worth? its in pretty poor condition all around, the white paint has rubbed off alot near the palmrest for instance and it looks a bit crap.

applecollector
12th May 2007, 11:18 PM
is this the 600Mhz one on ebay?
cus that looks like trash!

sanjay
12th May 2007, 11:31 PM
i guess that answers my questions then. :D

applecollector
13th May 2007, 12:01 AM
indeed please don't get it!
you'll be wasting your money!
if you would like the get a G4 because of leopard what about an 867Mhz Powerbook or 800Mhz iBook they both cost around $400-650

Byrd
13th May 2007, 08:17 AM
Surprisingly, you'll probably find the replacement hinges to be more expensive than the inverter. Early G4 Powerbooks are prone to shedding paint/dodgy hinges - and yes, as applecollector noted, there are much nicer notebooks out there at better prices/condition.

JB

sanjay
13th May 2007, 07:14 PM
indeed please don't get it!
you'll be wasting your money!
if you would like the get a G4 because of leopard what about an 867Mhz Powerbook or 800Mhz iBook they both cost around $400-650

where? how? im happy to spend up to say $400 on one...if its nice and works and doesnt have any problems (dont want an ibook though.) but i thought that all the G4 powerbooks were still stupidly expensive...

applecollector
13th May 2007, 07:34 PM
i think you misread everything.
It's totally broken, no backlight, paint off all over the place, hinges smashed, power adapter stuffed it's useless.

sanjay
13th May 2007, 09:16 PM
i think you misread everything.
It's totally broken, no backlight, paint off all over the place, hinges smashed, power adapter stuffed it's useless.

eh? nah im not interested in the Ti one on ebay anymore, im asking you how i can get a Ti/Al powerbook for $400 - $600 like you said.