PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking Nokia 6680

Peter Wells
12th May 2007, 04:52 PM
hey,

i got a nokia 6680. its great, but its locked to the 3 network (despite the contract for the phone being over) i dont wanna use 3, and heard that the nokia 6680's lock had been cracked recently.

anyone know of a place in melbourne that can help me out.

Tiprya
12th May 2007, 05:24 PM
For Nokia's its a code you type in just like a phone number

I've looked into it before and some google searching can dig up some code generators, that even had codes for australian networks

Some nokia's (including the one I was looking for) don't have codes yet, but if the phone as you said, has been hacked, I suppose thats where they'd be

There are some guides as well, letting you know stuff like I think on the third try on some phones it can lock the phone if they are the wrong codes

Good Luck, let us know how it goes

thebookfreak58
12th May 2007, 05:49 PM
hey,

i got a nokia 6680. its great, but its locked to the 3 network (despite the contract for the phone being over) i dont wanna use 3, and heard that the nokia 6680's lock had been cracked recently.

anyone know of a place in melbourne that can help me out.

The 6680 uses the Nokia BB5 platform, and this hasn't been currently cracked. Since 3 can't provide (actually, they didn't buy them from Nokia in the first place) the unlock codes, you have no potion but to buy a new phone.

Have a Google..it will confirm all I have said.

Peter Wells
12th May 2007, 06:03 PM
yeah, i've googled, and been told that is the case. but a dude i know who knows about this kind of thing says the BB5 platform was cracked 4 days ago..

unfortunately, he's in the uk, so i cant be bothered sending it to him..

Tiprya
12th May 2007, 06:50 PM
Can't you get him to tell you the right code?

Or is there something i'm missing?

Peter Wells
12th May 2007, 07:06 PM
Can't you get him to tell you the right code?

Or is there something i'm missing?

yeah, the bb5 system requires more than just a code, it needs the firmware to be flashed.

Tiprya
12th May 2007, 07:29 PM
Ahh, ok makes sense

Do you need a machine for that or can you do it yourself?

iPirate
12th May 2007, 07:31 PM
I heard some Vodafone places do this for $50... which is what my mother did recently with a prepaid phone locked to telstra.

Tiprya
12th May 2007, 07:38 PM
Telstra's unlock fee for pre-paid phones is $50 so they probably rang telstra to get the code I would suspect

thebookfreak58
12th May 2007, 07:52 PM
Guys, just to clear up any confusion, no other provider can unlock this phone. 3 did not buy the unlocking codes from Nokia, they only way to get it unlocked is if someone cracks the BB5 platform, and this so far hasn't been done.

smilne360
12th May 2007, 08:31 PM
i had a fone locked to three, but when i wanted to go to vodafone, they got me the unlock code for free...

not that that would help if yu were selling it.

Peter Wells
12th May 2007, 09:09 PM
i wanna keep the fone! its amazing, does everything i want it to, and i've even got the iphone theme running on it. i just hate 3. mainly cos of the ads they play during big brother, but also cos the vodafone $29 cap is perfect for my needs.

Peter Wells
25th May 2007, 06:53 PM
The 6680 uses the Nokia BB5 platform, and this hasn't been currently cracked. Since 3 can't provide (actually, they didn't buy them from Nokia in the first place) the unlock codes, you have no potion but to buy a new phone.

Have a Google..it will confirm all I have said.

bah! all you need is a dodgy fuck out in broadie and $50 cash. :D

thebookfreak58
28th May 2007, 09:39 PM
Seems like it can now be done (in Aus): http://www.aussie3g.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20626