PDA

View Full Version : hi battery not detected on my macbook

gnehs
12th May 2007, 03:19 PM
Hi.. guys i got a problem my macbook cannot detect the battery. A 'x' is show in the menubar

I am on mac osx 10.4.9 and had battery update v1.2

Thanks

kim jong il
12th May 2007, 03:34 PM
Have you read this article from Apple support regarding the battery replacement program. It may be relevant to your situation (actually it seems you should qualify for a replacement).

http://www.apple.com/au/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

grorr76
12th May 2007, 04:59 PM
looking at the article kim jong il posted i realised my new macbook pro is eligable for a new battery, im only getting 190 cycles on my battery. aghhhh

gnehs
12th May 2007, 11:21 PM
ok thanks i think i will go get a replacement

jerrah
12th May 2007, 11:58 PM
Only getting 190 cycles? What do you mean?

kim jong il
13th May 2007, 12:25 AM
Only getting 190 cycles? What do you mean?

From the link:
Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300.
Essentially his battery is not performing after having completed only 190 full charge/discharge cycles is what he means.

IIe2PB
13th May 2007, 08:10 AM
In system profiler it has the following.

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4953
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4932
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12495
Cycle Count: 74

Is the full charge capacity based on reality (ie it monitoring things), or is it a nominal value?

kim jong il
13th May 2007, 11:44 PM

Battery Information:

Is the full charge capacity based on reality (ie it monitoring things), or is it a nominal value?

As far as I can tell it should be based on monitoring. Using those figures and an online calculator (A (http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm) or B (http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw2.html)) your quoted battery capacity information indicates to me that: " Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4953": gave it a capacity 61.89 watts/hour when fully charged, "Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4932": 61.63 watts/hour now based on a real output voltage of "Voltage (mV): 12495". I'd say that you have a 17" MacBook Pro with a battery which is delivering ~91% of brand new performace.

Apple quotes in its technical specifications (in brackets my calculated figures based on 12.495V):

13" MacBook: 55 watt/hour battery capacity (4402mAh)
15" MacBook Pro: 60 watt/hour battery capacity (4802mAh)
17" Macbook Pro: 68 watt/hour battery capacity (5442mAh)

I'd suggest installing the battery firmware 1.2 update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/batteryupdate12.html) if you have not already done so.

Hope this was of some help. :)

IIe2PB
14th May 2007, 09:40 PM
As far as I can tell it should be based on monitoring. Using those figures and an online calculator (A (http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm) or B (http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw2.html)) your quoted battery capacity information indicates to me that: " Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4953": gave it a capacity 61.89 watts/hour when fully charged, "Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4932": 61.63 watts/hour now based on a real output voltage of "Voltage (mV): 12495". I'd say that you have a 17" MacBook Pro with a battery which is delivering ~91% of brand new performace.

Apple quotes in its technical specifications (in brackets my calculated figures based on 12.495V):

13" MacBook: 55 watt/hour battery capacity (4402mAh)
15" MacBook Pro: 60 watt/hour battery capacity (4802mAh)
17" Macbook Pro: 68 watt/hour battery capacity (5442mAh)

I'd suggest installing the battery firmware 1.2 update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/batteryupdate12.html) if you have not already done so.

Hope this was of some help. :)
WOW thanks. That is great info. I should have stated the computer. It's a 15" Macbook pro with the core duo 2 (new last November). Sounds as though the battery is in good health :D

IIe2PB
8th August 2007, 11:43 PM

Battery Information:

It would appears that my battery is crashing. :(

Battery Information:

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3410
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1403
Amperage (mA): 1826
Voltage (mV): 12211
Cycle Count: 91

Might ring apple in the morning.

Razer
8th August 2007, 11:47 PM
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After a bit of research i found out that these batteries will simply die if you let them drain to empty and then leave it sleep for too long. Apple replaced it without any hassles.

kim jong il
8th August 2007, 11:48 PM

Battery Information:

Good idea.

geektechnu
9th August 2007, 12:51 AM
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After a bit of research i found out that these batteries will simply die if you let them drain to empty and then leave it sleep for too long. Apple replaced it without any hassles.
Same happened to me. Apple happily replaced my battery.

MacBooks (and MBP) should automatically go into safe sleep (aka "hibernation") *before* the battery hits zero in order to protect the battery (and any unsaved data).

My MacBook battery died after being left at 5% for a little over 24 hours. Upon connecting it to mains power, it booted from cold - not from safe sleep. The only thing I can think of to explain this is that something is preventing MacBooks from entering safe sleep.

I now have safe sleep turned on as my default sleep method - costs me an extra 10 seconds to wake, but doesn't drain the battery at all while sleeping.

halledise
9th August 2007, 02:41 AM
I now have safe sleep turned on as my default sleep method - costs me an extra 10 seconds to wake, but doesn't drain the battery at all while sleeping.

how do you set that?

geektechnu
9th August 2007, 09:36 AM
Follow the instructions here:
http://andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/11/how-to-safe-sleep-your-mac/

Importantly, set hibernatemode 1 (always hibernate), not 3 (hibernate on low battery)

When your mac sleeps, it will now copy the contents of RAM to disk, then power off completely. To wake it, just press the power button once.

i.e. sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Note: Waking from safe sleep is a type of boot-up. It probably won't play nicely with Bootcamp.

Currawong
9th August 2007, 11:43 AM
If you have an Intel Mac or fairly recent PPC mac, safe sleep is the default anyway.

IIe2PB
19th August 2007, 10:22 PM

Battery Information:

It would appear my battery has sorted itself out?????

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4806
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 259
Amperage (mA): -2281
Voltage (mV): 9242
Cycle Count: 94

IIe2PB
26th October 2007, 05:59 PM
Damn... same old tricks again

Battery Information:

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2952
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 14
Amperage (mA): 1850
Voltage (mV): 12029
Cycle Count: 120

Is it normal for batteries to fluctuate like this?

I'll take it in next week if it isn't showing full capacity again ... GRRR :mad::mad: