PDA

View Full Version : home network issues...

Galumay
12th May 2007, 08:24 AM
i am having strange issues with my home network, normally it would have my macmini media centre, MBP, Roku soundbridge and PB connected via wifi using WPA2 security.

currently it is just running the macmini, PB and roku soundbridge.

i am also using Chicken of the VNC to remotely access the MacMini HTPC.

if i restart everything then i can find and mount the MacMini and its external HD on the PB. (which is what i want to do to be able to transfer video content across to the HD.) VNC will also work to access the MacMini desktop.

the problem is that at some point there after the network connections just fail, as an example i have had the MacMini's external HD mounted for about 30 minutes, i just got the message that the network had disconnected and if i try to reconnect it fails.

i get the "connection failed, the server may not exist or is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again."

also VNC which was working now will fail to connect, giving the message,

"Could not connect to server 192.168.1.5:5900 operation timed out: connect()"

if i restart the MacMini i will be able to connect to the MacMini and mount the external HD onto finder in the PB and VNC will work - but at some point after both connections will fail and not be able to reconnect without a restart of the MacMini.

any bright ideas?

Shatter
12th May 2007, 08:47 AM
for COTVNC, open up the prefs and try and change the port it runs on from 5900 to an unused port like port 8. Also make sure that both computers do not have port 8 blocked, either through the built in FireWall or something like Intego's NetBarrier.

Galumay
12th May 2007, 08:59 AM
ok blair, i will give that a try - cant see that it is likely to be the issue as its not related to the primary issue with the network losing the connection to the MacMini external HD but any ideas are a help!!

EDIT - COTVNC doesnt seem to like that! i tried to create a new server using port 8 but VNC tries to use 5908 and the connection fails, if i go back to 5900 it sets fine!

Brains
12th May 2007, 05:47 PM
G: if the link to the HTPC Mini is via wireless only, you could very well have a wireless interference problem. Check that there's no other strong sources of wifi near the HTPC (or your primary wireless access point) such as other transmitters (including mobile and cordless phones) and microwave ovens.

You could also try changing the channel your wifi uses.

B.

Galumay
12th May 2007, 07:01 PM
ok, i have tried removing the WPA2 encryption, changed the wifi channel and disalbed DHCP and configured it manually.

if it stays connected now i will change back things one at a time and see if i can isolate the cause!

Galumay
12th May 2007, 11:01 PM
ok, well i am off to bed but thats 3 hours and every thing is hunky dory still!

Galumay
13th May 2007, 07:42 PM
well thats about 24hrs with everything connected so it looks like it is resolved.

DJY
10th November 2007, 07:33 AM
I only have a Mac mini and a MBP.... and in Leopard I have been getting the same connection failed error in FInder on my MBP!
I can see my mini but can't connect to it...
I can even still share screens from my MBP!??!?

Other end still works - I can connect to my MBP from my mini... but not the other way around?

Tried restarting Finder,
tried restarting MBP
tried to re-connect manually via Connect To Server and entering in the local IP (10.1.1.4)..

Still my mini appears in finder - but when I click on it I get the connection failed?

Galumay
10th November 2007, 07:37 AM
have you tried restarting the mini?

purana
10th November 2007, 08:00 AM
The mini could be having issues due to a neighbour with wireless on the same channel causing interference... for all we know :)

DJY
10th November 2007, 08:56 AM
have you tried restarting the mini?

That was the only thing I hadn't done...
here I was thinking it was a MBP issue - as I could still connect from my mini to my MBP.
Restarted mini and it all appears to be ok.

Did just have what I suspect is a kernal attack / panic / problem?

The grey box saying you need to restart your computer (on MBP) which concerns me now though...
I'm off to run Disk Utility!