PDA

View Full Version : please help :( data recovery for excel file on mac :(

isoprophlex
11th May 2007, 09:19 PM
(major props who can help me on this one!)

OK here is what happened.

I had just spent most of yesterday afternoon/ evening creating a file from my Amazon.com book list, my Delicious Library list (not sure if anyone uses this program but it's awesome, allows you to scan using your iSight camera as a bar code reader) Any books I could remember I have read in the last few years... I saved this to a USB memory stick.

I was editing it tonight; I clicked save. then I took out the memory card (while excel was still open).

Thought to myself 'arh should be fine, I work in IT and have seen this done thousands of times before with nothing actually happening' (even though the error message popped up the default "it's not good to do this without ejecting the drive yet" message)

I then couldn't see the USB memory stick when I put it back into the computer (because it hadn't been mounted properly)

After doing this; my Mac updates had just finished installing. I proceeded to reboot my computer.... (with the USB memory stick still in the drive

After doing this; I wanted to make sure that the *.xls file was still ok;

I opened it up;

It had nothing in it; it was blank. I looked at the file information; said that it was; zero kb...

wtf....

Basically where I am at now is that I want to be able to recover this file somehow... Surely this can be done?

Ideas?

Cheers,
isoprophlex.

jeloz
11th May 2007, 09:22 PM
Our techs use this , often with results

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php?PHPSESSID=894064f6ef038e83157945c4 fa6b8c52

Jeloz

isoprophlex
11th May 2007, 09:24 PM
would this work and have the same effect on a usb drive?

iso

Our techs use this , often with results

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php?PHPSESSID=894064f6ef038e83157945c4 fa6b8c52

Jeloz

jeloz
11th May 2007, 09:33 PM
would this work and have the same effect on a usb drive?

iso

well, its a big call, it may work, it may also work with a usb drive, no way of confirming anything without trying, i have used it succesfully on an external hard drive and I have also used this product (http://lc-tech.com/software/prwindetail.html) on a compact flash card successfully.

They alos have this product (http://lc-tech.com/software/rprodeluxedetail.html)which may work.

Jeloz

ClockWork
11th May 2007, 09:37 PM
I don't think Data Rescue II will help out here. Isoprophlex hasn't deleted or trashed the xls file - but its content is empty - which appears to insinuate its been... well.. over-written with "nothing", or had its content deleted when the USB Drive it was sitting on hadn't been officially ejected.

It kinda like - if I create an image in photoshop - save it - then reopen it and fill the entire image with black - save it again and quit photoshop - and then reopen my image, I can't get back the data that was there, as it's been over-written, as opposed to deleted or trashed.

Best to use USB Drives for storage purposes only - and not to read and write to them as if they were Hard Drives.

I'm extremely paranoid, so everything has a twin copy.

Apologies Isoprophlex - I think you may need to do that bar-scanning again - but this time, save it all to an Excel File on your HD, and only use the Flash Drive to store to.

cw

jeloz
11th May 2007, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=ClockWork;293235]I don't think Data Rescue II will help out here.

I think you are correct - but i would still try!!

Jeloz

isoprophlex
11th May 2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think Data Rescue II will help out here. Isoprophlex hasn't deleted or trashed the xls file - but its content is empty - which appears to insinuate its been... well.. over-written with "nothing", or had its content deleted when the USB Drive it was sitting on hadn't been officially ejected.

It kinda like - if I create an image in photoshop - save it - then reopen it and fill the entire image with black - save it again and quit photoshop - and then reopen my image, I can't get back the data that was there, as it's been over-written, as opposed to deleted or trashed.

Best to use USB Drives for storage purposes only - and not to read and write to them as if they were Hard Drives.

I'm extremely paranoid, so everything has a twin copy.

Apologies Isoprophlex - I think you may need to do that bar-scanning again - but this time, save it all to an Excel File on your HD, and only use the Flash Drive to store to.

cw

arh well... i'll give the data recover 2 thing a go first...
if that doesn't work... yeah i totally see what you mean. i mean my brain says. iso you have stuffed up big time... yet my heart says... i wish i wish i wish i could take that time back...

on the other hand... probably just means that i wasted the time in the first place creating the file... and now i'm even wasting my time talking about loosing the file.

so in the long run...

I DON'T EVEN NEED THE FILE ANYWAY!

i had a nice little list in my little black book that was just as good. and guess what it isn't on a computer it's in pencil and is written down, no need to back that up, unless it gets stolen, lost, or burned.

MAYBE I SHOULD GET OFF THE INTERNET AND READ A BOOK

CHEERS :)

Thanks for your help clockwork orange eye dude and jelly bean :)