PDA

View Full Version : Restart with external monitor

mctext
11th May 2007, 03:44 PM
I get this strange thing every time I use my MB with a projector (the kind you get in lecture theatres, etc.).
When I get back to my desk and plug the MB into the external monitor (17" BenQ), the monitor doesn't work ("Signal cable not connected" notice).
Nothing works except a complete restart.
Any way I can get around this?

mct

The Architect.mac
11th May 2007, 04:34 PM
if it is not a dvi monitor then it is not plug and play and probably requires the restart to kick it into action...

Linux_insidev2
11th May 2007, 04:42 PM
The thing is that the Mini-DVI to VGA adaptors have EDID and hotswap detection so the macbook knows when you plug the adapter in.

mctext
11th May 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys.
Good to know it's not just me!
Because the MB is DVI and the projector is VGA (and so is the monitor) I guess I'll just have to put up with this each time I swap.
Not a big inconvenience ... but worrying without knowing what's going on underneath the hood.
I'm very grateful to you for telling me.

mct

p53
11th May 2007, 05:11 PM
if it is not a dvi monitor then it is not plug and play and probably requires the restart to kick it into action...
not in my experience.
i'm afraid i can't answer the original question, but I use both a DVI and a VGA monitor and hot plugging works exactly as expected i.e. i don't have to restart when i switch between the monitors.
does pressing F7 do anything when you plug in the BenQ?