PDA

View Full Version : faulty powerbook 17" lcds

tarky7
9th May 2007, 10:17 PM
ok, like many other powerbook 17" users who purchased their machine back in around early to mid 2005, i am now having serious lcd screen issues. Those one pixel lines are slowly taking over my screen that are a result of a 'bad batch' of powerbooks that were made in shanghai with the W8 serial numbers.
I am now having faulty temperature gauge readings too, resulting in the computer to sleep ramdomly during use....already has twice while writing this.
Apple doesn't seem to want to do anything about these problems and won't even admit that there is a problem....like they're just waiting for the problem to go away. Well sorry Apple, it won't. I've written a letter to the head office in sydney stating my case and asking why I should stick with buying Apple notebooks if they're only going to last just over a year. I have also rang Apple and lodged a formal complaint which I urge everyone to do that has this problem also. If enough people make a complaint the more likely Apple will do something about these faulty lcds...

hawker
9th May 2007, 10:22 PM
The only issue I saw that you describe was a video card issue. Those with applecare had the display replaced under warranty.

Linux_insidev2
9th May 2007, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately not much you can do if out of warranty unless you want to foot the bill (it will be expensive however)

Apple warranted the unit for a set period of time and if that has expired they are under no obligation to repair the unit - so start praying.

hawker
9th May 2007, 10:28 PM
It's a cheap shot to accuse Apple of making products that only last year. If that was so, why would they offer AppleCare protection for 3 years? Things go wrong, things break, it happens...

If you're only a few days, even a week or two out of warranty you may just have a case, a few months and I'd say you won't get far.

tarky7
9th May 2007, 11:21 PM
yeah might just have to get rid of it on ebay for a few hundred. will wait till the new macbook pros come out and buy one of those with applecare.
hopefully they come soon...also hoping for an update of their cinema displays too.

Linux_insidev2
9th May 2007, 11:40 PM
It's a cheap shot to accuse Apple of making products that only last year. If that was so, why would they offer AppleCare protection for 3 years? Things go wrong, things break, it happens...

If you're only a few days, even a week or two out of warranty you may just have a case, a few months and I'd say you won't get far.

I'm not saying they make products that only last a year (my collection proves that) it's just that i know how ruthless they can be if it's non-warranty as i work for another manufacturer and have to deal with people who are sometimes 2 years out of warranty and demand their machine be fixed for free when they had the chance to uplift the warranty at any point.

Apple make great products, what i'm saying though is that outside of warranty they are under no obligation to repair it.

yeah might just have to get rid of it on ebay for a few hundred. will wait till the new macbook pros come out and buy one of those with applecare.
hopefully they come soon...also hoping for an update of their cinema displays too.

At least take it to an apple center for a quote!

tarky7
10th May 2007, 01:03 AM
yeah was a mistake not to take up the extended warrenty option.do apple buy notebooks back do they?

hawker
10th May 2007, 07:38 AM
yeah was a mistake not to take up the extended warrenty option.do apple buy notebooks back do they?

LOL. A quote to fix it :)

trailblazer
10th May 2007, 10:38 AM
Most PB 17's had serials starting with W8 :)
2004, 2005 and early 2006 models!