PDA

View Full Version : How do I log in?

Shatter
9th May 2007, 05:19 PM
Ok title makes it sound like a real noob thread, but I want to know how I can log in as a user on Mac A on Mac B.

I do not have a Mac OS X server install disk (and cannot get one easily), but I do have the server admin tools from Apple.

I want to be able to really log in, not just "ssh blairhudson@10.0.0x".

Thanks for help.

Oh, and anyone who replies with something along the lines of "Turn on the computer by pressing the power button, click a username and type in the password." will be marked as an idiot (by me at least) for the rest of their life.

spilla
9th May 2007, 05:28 PM
So you want to log in through a VNC type service?

Shatter
9th May 2007, 05:31 PM
So you want to log in through a VNC type service?

sort of.

i've got a laptop that i dont have the admin password for (i dont own it), and i want to boot off a different volume so i can use the airport card in it with my wifi.

the admin isn't telling me the password.

can you boot from usb? or set up a mac as a Network booter or something?

feeze
9th May 2007, 05:32 PM
EDIT: whoops seems like Blair posted a reply before I did.

spilla
9th May 2007, 05:33 PM
Can you get the admin to set up a limited user account on the local machine?

jerrah
9th May 2007, 05:33 PM
Why isn't the admin telling you the password? Did they not want you to use it?

They could create you an account on the machine, or you could boot from firewire on an older mac, or usb/firewire on an intel mac.

Shatter
9th May 2007, 05:44 PM
im just borrowing the laptop.

Can you get the admin to set up a limited user account on the local machine?

simple answer, an unfortunate no.

how could i set up a NetBoot file?

MacDave
9th May 2007, 05:55 PM
sort of.

i've got a laptop that i dont have the admin password for (i dont own it), and i want to boot off a different volume so i can use the airport card in it with my wifi.

the admin isn't telling me the password.

can you boot from usb? or set up a mac as a Network booter or something?

Not that I'm recommending this as I don't know your situation with this admin, but you can always do a password reset with an OS X install disk.

Only Intel Macs can boot from a USB 2 drive without tons of fiddling.

If you have a FW drive with OS X on it and know your own admin l/p, then you can boot with option held down and select it to boot from.

Still, the question remains: Why is this guy not giving you his password, unless he doesn't wish you to have it... ?

Shatter
9th May 2007, 06:26 PM
ok. i'll get to the (probably easier) question.

How can I set up the airport card in the laptop through the terminal? (this should be asked in the terminal section aye.)

jerrah
9th May 2007, 06:32 PM
I know I keep harping on, but why would you be borrowing a laptop but not know the password to use it?

If you can get an account on the computer, setting up the wireless is easy. If you don't have an account on the machine, how are you planning to setup the wireless through terminal and what would it gain you?

Graham
9th May 2007, 06:43 PM
This is not something I've tried but I saw it done when getting my laptop fixed and I'm trying to remember the exact details so please don't get annoyed if it doesn't work.

1) Start up your machine in Firewire mode (hold down the 't' key as it starts)
2) Plug it into the laptop using a Firewire cable.
3) Boot the laptop holding down the option key. That will prompt you for a boot disk to use.
4) Select the one on your machine.

That should allow you to use the laptop hardware with all the software on your machine.

Shatter
9th May 2007, 07:06 PM
this is a laptop borrowed from school, it only has a few users on it, and my friend told me theirs for it since i dont have an account.

the admin knows im good with the macs (better than them) and they dont want to give me their password.

i want to be able to set it up with my airport network temporarily so i can use it.

most of the account prefs are locked out, so i cant access the network settings to set up airport.

i could just plug my ethernet cable into it, but that means that i can only have one less computer on the network.

i have thought of stupid things to do, but the admin would kill me.

1) take out the airport card and put it in my mac (lmao).

2) boot into s.u.m. or use the terminal to change the root password.

3) other methods of reseting the password.

as i said, the admin would kill me if i did any of these.

is there a program i can use to set up the AP card without admin rights??

jerrah
9th May 2007, 07:44 PM
Generally messing with network settings 'should' be impossible if you don't have root access.