PDA

View Full Version : Got me a Lombard.

stewiesno1
9th May 2007, 05:19 PM
OK. So as the title says , I have just got a Lombard and I am in love . Never had a laptop before.
Specs :
400 mHz processor with 1mb L2 cache
9gig IBM HD
128 mb Ram
OS10.3 and 9.2.2

So yes it boots up OK although sloooooowly and I can do stuff on it. I want to put more Ram in and a faster bigger HD and may even run only OS 9.2 on it. Slow graphics and 512mb memory will probably determine that.All I will be doing on this is probably writing Word docs and i have Office 98 and Office 2004 ( if I need to ) so no probs there. I have searched the forums here esp. about HD's ...

From Brains' post in the thread about flash memory in a Pismo
The best ways to improve your Pismo's performance is to install as much real SO-DIMM memory as you can afford, and upgrade the hard drive to a Toshiba or Hitachi 5400 RPM mechanism that is ATA-5 compliant (the Pismo's onboard ATA is not fast, so installing a 7200 RPM drive will not give you any speed boost).

Quotes from other posts
Curra
The Lombard and Pismo powerbooks, unfortunately, had a limit to the amount of power they could supply the hard drive. It was often the case that a drive installed that drew too much power would fail after a short while.

The only way to find out if a drive will work is install it. If you regularly hear the drive heads re-setting themselves (a clicking sound) then you know the drive is going to fail.

Byrd ( 05/05-06 )
I'm the same - most 2.5" Fujitsu drives I've come across have been near silent and run cool. Equivalent IBM/Hitachi drives, in comparison, have been whinier and run a little warmer.
End quotes

I want to stick in 2 x 256 mb Ram to give me a total of 512mb.
I've googled but had no luck getting any here in Aus. so maybe ebay in the US or new from OWC or other ? Any advice / links?

The HD I want is probably no bigger than a 40Gig ( partly to keep costs down ) so going by the above posts a 5400RPM drive that is ATA-5 compliant and low power requirements will do the trick. Any model No's for me to look at given the above ?

If I did decide to keep Panther on it , is this the best OSX version for it ? OSX does look very good on this screen. It got a few admiring glances in the cafe I was at this afternoon.
:thumbup:

Any other advice greatfully accepted.
Stewie

jerrah
9th May 2007, 05:23 PM
You might be able to get your ram from crucial.com

iSlayer
9th May 2007, 05:29 PM
Streetwise have ram that is compatible - http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1616
Not the cheapest around but its guaranteed to be mac compatable.

As for hard drives.... any 40gb should work fine. I've never had any of the issues currawong mentioned and ive used various speed and sizes with pismo's so i wouldnt worry to much about brands and models. If you are worried then stick with 4200rpm drives

stewiesno1
9th May 2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info jerrah and iSlayer. I've already sussed out a few sites like Crucial and Ramjet for the memory. I'm just going to compare prices to local and see what the difference will be.
I'll also probably stick with just a 5400RPM drive either Samsung or Fujitsu.40-60GB.
Stewie

Byrd
9th May 2007, 10:23 PM
Scrounge around eBay for the So-DIMM modules, 256MB ones should be cheap. Make sure it's "double-sided", I'd recommend Hyundai/Hynix modules you shoudn't have any problems.

As for the hard disk, most new 40GB are 5400RPM, any Seagate/Fujitsu/Samsung will do.

For OS X, definately 10.3.9 runs well and is officially supported on the Lombard. I'd not bother installing Tiger due to higher RAM and graphic requirements, and you need to run XPostFacto under OS 9 to get it to install. With RAM, 256MB will be enough for Office duties under 10.3.9, but ideally 512MB (I like to max out any Mac I come into contact with!).

Lombards are really nice machines, I had mine overclocked 333@433Mhz, 384MB/40GB and it ran OS X fine and OS 9 screamed on it. Reluctantly sold it a while back as the screen hinges were failing, and found a cheap Pismo which has since become my most used notebook (even over a P4 2.66Ghz monster notebook sitting next to it!).

JB

stewiesno1
9th May 2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the post Byrd. I was wondering when a Pismo fan like you would turn up:D
I've been thinking pretty much along those lines regarding memory and hard drives anyway but it's always good to get another informed opinion. I found some 256 modules brand new on ebay for US$22 each so I will probably go for those but buy the HD locally.
Cheers , Stewie

applecollector
9th May 2007, 11:01 PM
The cheapest place you could buy a hard drive is at a computer fair.
The last computer fair was last sunday at the uni here in kingsford.
If you want i can check when the next one is?

Linux_insidev2
9th May 2007, 11:13 PM
Bastard!

Lol i really want to get my hands on a pismo, lombard or even a wallstreeet.

They are really nice looking and unique notebooks, i like!

Brains
9th May 2007, 11:15 PM
stewie, check my ever-mutating 'for sale' thread - I put a Lombard on there this afternoon, and if you get over your fear of interstate shipping, $100 would net you 2 x 256MB DIMMs, a 40 GB drive that works, a screen in good nick, and the rest of the machine as a source of spares (the whole thing actually works, btw).

B.

Linux_insidev2
9th May 2007, 11:41 PM
stewie, check my ever-mutating 'for sale' thread - I put a Lombard on there this afternoon, and if you get over your fear of interstate shipping, $100 would net you 2 x 256MB DIMMs, a 40 GB drive that works, a screen in good nick, and the rest of the machine as a source of spares (the whole thing actually works, btw).

B.

BAH! he has a lombard! gimme yours :P

samwalk
10th May 2007, 12:26 AM
"I was wondering when a Pismo fan like you would turn up"

He is not the only Pismo fan. I think selling mine was one of the most foolish things I did! In a lot of ways I preferred using it over my g4 powerbooks and my macbook pro.

stewiesno1
10th May 2007, 06:14 AM
Streetwise have ram that is compatible - http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1616
Not the cheapest around but its guaranteed to be mac compatable.

As for hard drives.... any 40gb should work fine. I've never had any of the issues currawong mentioned and ive used various speed and sizes with pismo's so i wouldnt worry to much about brands and models. If you are worried then stick with 4200rpm drives

Thanks iSlayer. Yes I had a look but as you said not the cheapest.
Glad too that just about any model HD will work too.

Thanks applecollector but I will probably go for a brand new one ( three year warranty as well ) but I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Jesus brains , you are starting to piss me off now ! I would have bought yours at that price esp. with both a bigger HD and the 512 memory.Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh.
Well there you go samwalk and Linux-insidev2 . Brains has a working Lombard with a full 512mb memory and a 40 Gig Hard Drive for $100. Bargain I say. Who's first ?
Stewie

Linux_insidev2
10th May 2007, 08:30 AM
Shotgun The Lombard!

Was really hoping to get my hands on a pismo but it looks less and less likely each day.

stewiesno1
10th May 2007, 09:37 AM
Just one other thing I meant to ask. Where do you guys get your PRAM batteries from for these old powerbooks. I'll find out the type and post back here with the specs but I was wondering if you can still buy these new here or are they only available secondhand on ebay or from the US maybe? I found some but they are worth US$22 + shipping which seems a lot I guess.
Stewie

Byrd
10th May 2007, 10:27 AM
The Lombard uses a 6V Lithium battery, which consists two 2 x 3V cells. They're very overpriced. You could however make your own PRAM battery from any sort of NiMH/NiCD cells, and shove it somewhere in the case - perhaps on top of the hard disk or near the modem card.

You may also find keeping your Lombard charged for a couple of days might also give life to the existing PRAM battery.

JB

Granny Smith
10th May 2007, 10:44 AM
WARNING: GROSS IGNORANCE FOLLOWS:

What's a Lombard? I know what a LOMBARD is, in financial terms, but I have not idea of what the computer equivalent is. Can someone briefly enlighten me, please?

Linux_insidev2
10th May 2007, 10:45 AM
The Lombard uses a 6V Lithium battery, which consists two 2 x 3V cells. They're very overpriced. You could however make your own PRAM battery from any sort of NiMH/NiCD cells, and shove it somewhere in the case - perhaps on top of the hard disk or near the modem card.

You may also find keeping your Lombard charged for a couple of days might also give life to the existing PRAM battery.

JB

What sort of cells are they though? like watch batteries or like the ones in desktops?

tempestas
10th May 2007, 11:37 AM
My Lombard has 512 Mb ram for OWC which was heaps cheaper a couple of years ago. I have a 30gb HDD and it runs 10.3.9 fine, I've just started running Opera as it seems to be a faster browser and I have a third party belkin PCMCIA wireless card (search the forums for a relevant discussion) these are a great little machine, and while a pismo would give firewire and run faster but they are still commanding hefty prices.

The Lombard is the G3 Powerbook circa 1999-2000 with either 300 or 333Mhz proocessor, bronze coloured keyboard, two usb ports and the last SCSI port in a Mac Laptop. Check out lowend mac etc for more info.

The battery clips to the logic board just below the HDD, take it off, take it to Jaycar and I bet you can get identical cells no problem. It would then be a matter of wiring them in.

Maybe we need a Lombard hot/rod appreciation thread ;-)

Byrd
10th May 2007, 12:26 PM
What sort of cells are they though? like watch batteries or like the ones in desktops?

The original Lombard PRAM battery, like those in Wallstreet/Pismos are sort of like flat, large watch batteries. You need to strip down the entire machine to gain access to the battery, so that why I've previously made my own, stripped off the connector, and resoldered it to an equivalent pack (in volts, not in size/dimensions!).

JB

Linux_insidev2
10th May 2007, 12:31 PM
The original Lombard PRAM battery, like those in Wallstreet/Pismos are sort of like flat, large watch batteries. You need to strip down the entire machine to gain access to the battery, so that why I've previously made my own, stripped off the connector, and resoldered it to an equivalent pack (in volts, not in size/dimensions!).

JB

Couldn't you just heatshrink two CR2025 watch batteries in series and solder wires on each end?

Danamania
10th May 2007, 12:35 PM
WARNING: GROSS IGNORANCE FOLLOWS:

What's a Lombard? I know what a LOMBARD is, in financial terms, but I have not idea of what the computer equivalent is. Can someone briefly enlighten me, please?

It's one of the best laptops Apple made - part of the Powerbook G3 Series. Black, curvy, rather expandable with bays out the wazoo, a good supply of ports, pretty rugged, and awfully desirable :).

It looked similar to: http://www.danamania.com/temp/ws2/

That link goes to a whole bunch of pics of my Wallstreet, the first in the Powerbook G3 Series - which went Wallstreet, Lombard, then Pismo. Lombards were a good bit thinner and lighter than the wallstreet in my link.

For a bit more of the tech side, http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/index-powerbook-g3.html has links.

Dana

stewiesno1
10th May 2007, 12:44 PM
Oh Granny Smith ! Shame on you for not knowing your Mac heritage.As Derryn would say ...
Shame ... Shame ... Shame...

The battery clips to the logic board just below the HDD, take it off, take it to Jaycar and I bet you can get identical cells no problem. It would then be a matter of wiring them in.

Maybe we need a Lombard hot/rod appreciation thread ;-)

Good idea Tempestas.
I will have a look this weekend for batteries and whether I need to break out the soldering iron.
Yes I agree with you that they are a good little laptop. I looked at getting a Pismo , but their prices do seem to be a bit on the high side. Oh I know that they are a superior model to the Lombard but they are still a bit out of my price range.All I am going to be using mine for is writing Word files like invoices and Statements of Environmental Effects etc for the DA's that I lodge with Councils so my needs are pretty basic anyway. I probably won't even need to connect to the internet. Once I have a new hard Drive and max Ram in it , I will see about OSX but if it runs too slow I would still be happy in OS9 land for what I need to do. Thanks for all the info so far guys. Much appreciated.
Stewie

stewiesno1
10th May 2007, 01:20 PM
Dana. I just clicked on your link to your Wallstreet . That is one very clean and mint liitle Powerbook.I particularly liked the Batman references. No stretch of the imagination to see where inspiration for the movies would have come from.
Stewie

Byrd
10th May 2007, 01:22 PM
Couldn't you just heatshrink two CR2025 watch batteries in series and solder wires on each end?

You could ... but you can't charge these though, can you? Or I could be wrong.

Granny Smith: you'll no doubt notice most Apple models came with a codename, and Lombard is one in a series of Apple's G3 Powerbook series. It was the last Apple notebook made with onboard SCSI, so great for using alongside older legacy machines. The Pismo is physically the same, but very different under the hood (FW, Airport slot, AGP, 100Mhz bus, etc).

JB

Linux_insidev2
10th May 2007, 01:52 PM
You could ... but you can't charge these though, can you? Or I could be wrong.

Granny Smith: you'll no doubt notice most Apple models came with a codename, and Lombard is one in a series of Apple's G3 Powerbook series. It was the last Apple notebook made with onboard SCSI, so great for using alongside older legacy machines. The Pismo is physically the same, but very different under the hood (FW, Airport slot, AGP, 100Mhz bus, etc).

JB

I wasn't aware the pack recharges, one would presume it's hardly used just like the CMOS battery in every pc - CMOS batteries are usually a CR2025 or similar.

stewiesno1
10th May 2007, 09:58 PM
Heres what they look like but I'm pretty sure that you couldn't make these out of rechargeables. Could be wrong here but I've had a pretty good look both here in Aus. and overseas. Not using 2x 3V to make a 6V battery anyhow. These fit both the Lombard and Pismo but not the Wallstreet
Stewie