PDA

View Full Version : Buying a MBP on weekend have a few questions.

BlowMeDown
8th May 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm buying a MBP this weekend and just wanted your advice as to what I should look out for. I plan on taking it out of the box in the store, plugging it in and checking it out before I lay across the money.

What are your suggestions to look for?

hawker
8th May 2007, 01:54 PM
no dead pixels
no scratches

iSlayer
8th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Just check the screen for dead or stuck pixels.
Apart from that you probably dont really need to check for much else really.

BlowMeDown
8th May 2007, 01:57 PM
Ah yes, dead pixels. What's the best way of identifying that? Are they that obvious?

iSlayer
8th May 2007, 01:59 PM
Ah yes, dead pixels. What's the best way of identifying that? Are they that obvious?

usually they can be seen on solid backgrounds pretty easily.
Set the background to solid black and see if you can see anything.stuck pixels especially usually stand out on black.
Try solid white for dead pixels

BlowMeDown
8th May 2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for that iSlayer :thumbup:

mykie
8th May 2007, 02:08 PM
I bought one in January. Love it love it love it.
Go for the MOST RAM AND BIGGEST Hard drive you can afford.
Already wish I had opted for 3Gig RAM and a bigger than 120GB Hdd

jarhead92
8th May 2007, 06:49 PM
Dead pixels...

mechcon
8th May 2007, 06:55 PM
make sure the edges of the power button, keyboard, and trackpad aint sharp.

I've seen that problem on the 1st rev macbook pro, and yeah, not a pretty site to see blood on a notebook... although...

the gaffer guy
8th May 2007, 06:58 PM
We have 7 MBP at work and all of them have gone that way with the power button.
The one good thing is that they will replace the whole top panel under Apple Care

Dante Kyar
8th May 2007, 06:59 PM
I bought one in January. Love it love it love it.
Go for the MOST RAM AND BIGGEST Hard drive you can afford.
Already wish I had opted for 3Gig RAM and a bigger than 120GB Hdd

I cant agree with this enough, go for the most ram possible....

mwot
8th May 2007, 07:14 PM
What are your suggestions to look for?

... cheap imitations (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/) ... (i mean the one on the right, btw)

but over all, i think you should thoroughly enjoy your experience! :thumbup:

BlowMeDown
8th May 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm getting 3GB ram, 2.33 Ghz MBP on Saturday.

halledise
8th May 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm getting 3GB ram, 2.33 Ghz MBP on Saturday.

why? - what do you need it for and how much spare cash do you have?
perhaps I'm missing something ..........

my brother (in video production) has a 17" 2.33ghz MBP with all the bells & whistles and his graphic design daughter runs rings around his MBPro with her MB 2ghz with 2 gb ram - all for half the price.

if you need the big screen and the extra weight to carry then go for it - but Apple have matched the 13" screen with video capabilities admirably in the MB to the extent that unless you need to run biggish external displays who really needs the MBPro ?

she does all her creative stuff in Adobe CS2 (& now CS3) with ease and then does her presentations via Keynote to any data projector at hand to great effect.

so why the neeed for the big gun? :confused:

The Fluffy Duck
8th May 2007, 07:50 PM
who really needs the MBPro ?

ME!! ITs the Graphics card. I need something that can push more than 20 polygons at a screen at once. Thats why IM waiting for the next model update. Otherwise I would have had one by now :)

BlowMeDown
8th May 2007, 08:07 PM
why? - what do you need it for and how much spare cash do you have?
perhaps I'm missing something ..........

so why the neeed for the big gun? :confused:

Well I need it for 3D rendering and some video editing. I do a little programming on the side so a portable is a must (I travel a lot). I don't think the MB would be sufficient when it comes to using 3D and After Effects. Of course a desktop is even better I realise that, but like I say I also depend on the portability.

Currawong
8th May 2007, 09:30 PM
I'm waiting for the 200Gb 7200rpm Toshiba notebook SATA drive to come out - the HD speed makes ALL the difference. 3Gb of RAM is also worth it, at least has always been for me.

Linux_insidev2
8th May 2007, 09:56 PM
Be mindful of case warping, most importantly check for dead pixels, backlight uniformity (i.e make sure it's even across the display) and grainyness (looks like some of the pixels are slightly shimmering)