PDA

View Full Version : Speech transcription software?

rtc
7th May 2007, 07:25 PM
Hi all

I've gotta transcribe an interview which I have on my computer as an mp3 file (also aiff), but if there's an easier way to do it than pausing and typing (so far taken me 10 mins to transcribe 1 min) I'd be up for it.

Any ideas or software?

Cheers,

rtc.

glenmorrow
7th May 2007, 07:52 PM
Well you could put it into something like GarageBand or some other audio software, slow down the pitch to your typing speed and try transcribing that way. If it has to be word perfect, then you will probably still need to pause/play. How long is the interview?

I'd be happy to help you out if you want, could maybe put it through Pro Tools and change the tempo (slow it down) but preserve the pitch.

Cheers, Glen

rtc
7th May 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Glen, never thought of that. My typing speed is excellent but sadly not as fast as the talking speed. I will slow it down myself (probably start with Sound Studio or Amadeus, but I've got garageband, logic and a heap of others so I'll be able to do it).

trudy
19th June 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks Glen, never thought of that. My typing speed is excellent but sadly not as fast as the talking speed. I will slow it down myself (probably start with Sound Studio or Amadeus, but I've got garageband, logic and a heap of others so I'll be able to do it).

Wondering how you went with this rtc?

I'm about to start transcribing a heap of recorded interviews.
In terms of free ibm software I've heard that Win Amp loses audibility when
the speech is slowed down
but that Express Scribe maintains it.
I need to be very accurate even to the point
of length of pauses and would prefer to be working on it at home at night on my eMac
rather than at work on an ibm.

How did it work out with garage band?
Or what did you end up using and do you have any tips?

Thanks,

Trudy

rtc
21st June 2008, 06:40 PM
gday

in the end i did it the hard way - a lot of switching between apps and a lot of pause/unpause and a lot of rewind

trudy
21st June 2008, 11:13 PM
good on you
(for getting it done and for replying)

(I've just ordered a foot pedal)

Devil
21st June 2008, 11:45 PM
Would MacSpeech voice recognition work here?