PDA

View Full Version : MBP and biking

hiredgoon
6th May 2007, 09:06 AM
Hi, quick question.

I ride to work and uni almost daily and im about to get a MBP. I have done a bit of reading about bags, etc. and am wondering weather the MBP is too delicate to be transported by bike. I wont be trekking down rocky hills with it but i do encounter the odd bump and jolt on my journey.

I am going to buy a foofbag or neoprene case and good back pack (like a crumpler), will this be sufficient protection to soften the impact? am i being too precious for my little baby?

ClockWork
6th May 2007, 09:40 AM
A high quality back-pack is the way to go. See STM BackPacks (http://www.stmbags.com.au/backpacks) to get the idea. Very rugged and intially made to look like bags that would carry books and a lunch box, rather than a notebook, STM back-packs have that handy disguising quality also.

As for bumpety-bumps along the tarmac, as long as your MacBook is switched "off", there'll be no problems with it.

cheers,

cw

Currawong
6th May 2007, 09:47 AM
As long as the machine is not switched on then it should be fine.

jerrah
6th May 2007, 10:09 AM
I've carried my MBP for 13 months in a Targus backpack 40km each day on a motorbike. I'd imagine that my motorbike has more vibration etc than a bicycle so I think you'd be fine as long as the laptop is well supported, suspended above the bottom of the pack and has plenty of padding should you come off.

I had a motorcycle accident where I rolled across my back on the bonnet of a car with a Dell laptop in the backpack and it was fine.

Aa
6th May 2007, 11:37 AM
...and am wondering weather the MBP is too delicate to be transported by bike.

Too delicate? ...what you talkin about Willis?!

The powerbooks hold up really well, i ride with mine all the time and they don't even have the motion sensors that disengage the harddrive.

I did drop my stm bag some months ago however and it landed on a pointy rock - denting the corner behind the power input. I was surprised it dented it through the STM bag, and it made me think there must be a superior way of creating the padding to be resistant to that kind of shock. Something firmer to gaurd against a pointy attack.

The sleeping Powerbook was fine though, just a dent.

ClockWork
6th May 2007, 01:02 PM
I did drop my stm bag some months ago however and it landed on a pointy rock - denting the corner behind the power input. I was surprised it dented it through the STM bag, and it made me think there must be a superior way of creating the padding to be resistant to that kind of shock. Something firmer to gaurd against a pointy attack.

The sleeping Powerbook was fine though, just a dent.

Still - that's a very... specific situation. I mean, if one posed the same question regarding one's head - ie: "Will my brain be okay if I fall head down on a pointy rock?"

- then the answer is most likely to be, "No, you'll probably be best to go to hospital and make certain your don't have concussion..."

Yet if you were wearing a titanium helmet at the time, chances are you wouldn't feel a thing - yet there are no brands of notebook bags - that I know of - where the padding is bullet proof. STMs are pretty darned solid and water-proof, as they have so many other pockets and paddings around the central pocket that holds the notebook.

Linux_insidev2
6th May 2007, 01:05 PM
Still - that's a very... specific situation. I mean, if one posed the same question regarding one's head - ie: "Will my brain be okay if I fall head down on a pointy rock?"

- then the answer is most likely to be, "No, you'll probably be best to go to hospital and make certain your don't have concussion..."

Yet if you were wearing a titanium helmet at the time, chances are you wouldn't feel a thing - yet there are no brands of notebook bags - that I know of - where the padding is bullet proof. STMs are pretty darned solid and water-proof, as they have so many other pockets and paddings around the central pocket that holds the notebook.

If you were wearing a titanium helmet things would be worse! the point of a helmet is to absorb the shock, titanium will just transfer the shock to your whole cranium :P

You'd be better off with a motorcycle helmet.

Aa
6th May 2007, 01:45 PM
Still - that's a very... specific situation. I mean, if one posed the same question regarding one's head - ie: "Will my brain be okay if I fall head down on a pointy rock?"...

Still, no complaints about STM, but a slightly better designed pocket with a stiff outer membrane would have spread the impact across the base saving my powerbook from the dent.

To me that says : market opportunity.

hiredgoon
6th May 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses, although i am preferential to crumpler bags, i will check out the STM range.

Dubhousing
6th May 2007, 04:56 PM
You also need to look at how the MBP is held against your body when riding. I used a crumpler computer bag and it never felt stable. In the end I put the 17" computer in an STM sleeve and then put the whole lot in an oversize Crumpler messenger bag. Much more comfortable.

Hopeless with a Macpro though.

trailblazer
6th May 2007, 05:04 PM
I ride with mine asleep (well my Powerbook.)
2 years 9 months and counting... still going strong.

girlbunny
6th May 2007, 05:13 PM
The only problem I have with my STM bag probably wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the timing. I bought the bag the day before flying out of the country. The zip broke for the tiny external pocket when I reached the airport... and well... it's hard to get a bag replaced or fixed in between then and when you're supposed to get on the flight ;) I was out of the country until well past the time warranty time, so just let it go.

As far as protecting machines... the bag did a great job of protecting both the iBook and PowerBook (often with both in the bag at the same time). Right now we're notebook-free, so use it as a general purpose backpack... it's a lot more sturdy than any other backpack I've used before, and still looks new even after close to three years of use.

Linux_insidev2
6th May 2007, 05:52 PM
My STM Glove for my macbook tore within 6 months at the stitching, imho it isn't protected well enough compared to my new incase neoprene glove that has a guard sewn over the seams.

Left the STM Glove on a train by accident the week i was supposed to send it back in, and just bought the incase.

mjankor
6th May 2007, 06:15 PM
I often have my Macbook in my surveying vehicle. There have been some bumpy trips, but no harm yet.

jarhead92
8th May 2007, 06:58 PM
I sometimes ride my bike with laptop on shoulder, never had a problem, well, besides having a sore shoulder (it's heavy lol).

macsyd
9th August 2008, 11:11 PM
I've made a lifestyle decision that will take me out of the cubicle and onto the open road on two wheels. Unfortunately, the need to keep earning means I need to have a laptop/mac with me.

Appreciate the posts above, but am still nervous about an MBP on long bumpy roads. Would an SSD MBA be a better option (cringing as I type), or should I just risk the MBP (and AppleCare of course)?

Any experience with throwing the MBP or MB in panniers? A backpack wont be terribly practical.

~Coxy
11th August 2008, 11:34 AM
If the computer is off or asleep, then it's perfectly fine. Remember that it traveled a few thousand miles by sea/air/road to get to you, anyway.

If it's turned on and running then it's possible that traveling along a bumpy road will wear out the drive more quickly than otherwise, but it'll still work fine.

Lutze
11th August 2008, 11:40 AM
I carry my MacBook everywhere in a crumpler backpack, everywhere includes while out riding and I was hiking in Kalbarri national park a month or so ago. Laptop survives perfectly well. Get a sleeve for it and for extra protection stick a t-shirt at bottom, and each side of the laptop.

As long as it's off it will be a-ok.