PDA

View Full Version : split screen workspace

rjch
5th May 2007, 10:51 PM
I wonder if anyone can help with this problem, and perhaps suggest the solution, or a freeware application that would solve it!

I want to divide the entire screen into two spaces only. One side is only for one application, the other for the other. So I can inspect the data on one side of the screen and drag bit of it, or type it, into the other application.

The example is working out my share trades. On one side of the screen I want to bring up contract notes in succession, and the other side I want to enter little bits of data into a spreadsheet, and just use command tab to flick between the two. Then when i've done with one contract note, i can close it and bring up the next, and it only appears in the screen space that has been designated for acrobat.

Is that possible? Or am I thinking about the job in the wrong way. Its like a split screen in single microsoft products, but I am thinking of something a little more general and automatic. It would be a a new workspace screen that is layered above Finder, with its own rulers and adjustable dividers.

ClockWork
5th May 2007, 11:16 PM
I don't know of any current function or application - free or paid - that will split-screen Tiger - however, is it not just as simple to open both your Applications, set them side by side, and simply jump between one and the other?

The fastest way to switch between one Application and another, without using your mouse, is by using the key command: Apple-Command :cmd: key + tab key, and you can simply jump back and forth between the pair.

Give it a whirl.

cheers rjch,

cw

rjch
5th May 2007, 11:35 PM
Clockwork.

I did.

But Acrobat spits out new screens bit by bit across the screen until your spreadsheet space is crammed into the right hand side of the screen, like an elevator door closing on a face. These unruly applications are so profligate with their screen space. I want order, discipline, regimental ranks and files. Jah fuhl.

I think I know the answer to my question!

Thank you.

stewiesno1
5th May 2007, 11:37 PM
Or get two screens. One for one app and obviously one for the other used the same way CW says but with more screen real estate.
Stewie

marc
5th May 2007, 11:46 PM
But Acrobat spits out new screens bit by bit across the screen until your spreadsheet space is crammed into the right hand side of the screen, like an elevator door closing on a face.
Maybe give Preview a shot (the small image and PDF viewer that comes with OS X). It's much faster and easier to tame. You should be able to open all your PDFs on top of each other and apple-` through them.

I think you're after something even more organised. I don't think it exists though :(

Brains
6th May 2007, 12:04 AM
Alas, the lads are correct -- there is nothing for MacOS that will do what you want to do. The concept of having an app constrained to a window, where any documents opened by the app remain in that window, is pretty much a concept restricted to Windows. MacOS's user interface is more document-centric.

Unfortunately, using two monitors won'r help you either as Adobe Reader will continue to cascade document windows.

If you are using an Intel Mac, install Parallels and Windows XP -- this way you can have the Adobe Reader running in XP and any document opened will stay within the main Reader window. Awkward, but it is the only thing I can think of that would come close to working.

In the mean time, lodge a bug report with Adobe describing the unsatisfactory behaviour of document window placement with Adobe Reader.

B.

chrism238
6th May 2007, 12:08 AM
I'm unsure if you really need/want to be able to see both screens at once; if not, you may like DesktopManager (via VersionTracker, and now with a universal binary). With it, it's easy to keep one application on one (whole) screen, and to cut-and-swap-and-paste bewteen them.

rjch
7th May 2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all your comments/suggestions.

I'll give desktopmanager a spin!.