PDA

View Full Version : Telstra's Imbecility

tintinaujapon
5th May 2007, 10:47 PM
Two quick tales from the last 3 days:

1. Someone at my workplace brought her Intel iMac to me to try and get Telstra's mobile broadband working with a brand new Telstra USB modem. They'd given her the usual package of stuff plus a home-made burnt CDR of some extra software they said she needed to install to start with. I managed to work out what to do and although the BigPond software hung a few times, I got her connected to the network and filling in the registration process. All going well... until Telstra's software froze.

I rang them on her behalf and despite a message indicating 'long queues, please bugger off', managed to get hold of a support person in a minute flat. I told her the situation. Her first question:

"Is the modem plugged into the wall?". I said no it wasn't. It was a USB wireless modem plugged into the laptop, of course.

Her reply: "Oh we don't support that one". I asked her if she was seriously telling me that Telstra do not support a $300+ Telstra modem, and she quickly said, "Oh sorry, of course we do".

Taking the initiative, given I was clearly not dealing with Marilyn vos Savant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_vos_Savant), I asked her if it was possible to simply sign up over the phone so that all that remained to do was plug in username and password details. She said no, it all has to be done over the wireless connection.

She then put me on hold to go and talk to a supervisor, before coming back with the reply:

"The modem does work, we do have the drivers for it, but we don't support it on Macs". I asked why it was being sold then and she said that the salespeople should tell customers that they would get no support with the modem, but often intentionally failed to in order to make a quicker sale.

I advised the student to go with Vodafone instead. She hasn't come back to me for help so I think that's probably worked out better.

2. I just got a phone call from a friend, an old lady to whom I sold my old G3 iBook a couple of years ago. She's finally got on broadband but, before asking my advice, chose our favourite local Evil Empire as her ISP. She was calling me to query something Telstra had told her. Specifically:

"A Mac older than 3 years can't connect to broadband internet".

Razer
5th May 2007, 10:54 PM
There are mac drivers for the wireless USB modems? Anyway i'm going to play devil's advocate a bit here. Why didn't your friend take some initiative and ensure they supplied OS X drivers. Perhaps she did and that is what provided on the CDR? Anyway telstra do not like Apple, for whatever reason they just don't. It sucks for Mac users but that's why we don't use telstra :)

morgan
6th May 2007, 12:40 AM
Telstra aren't as bad as people say. They even have techinical support people who are dedicated mac people, they are even sitting in front of a mac while they talk you through.

SyncMan
6th May 2007, 05:28 AM
"A Mac older than 3 years can't connect to broadband internet".

Damn my G4 tower just stopped a getting broadband signal :D

SyncMan
6th May 2007, 05:30 AM
Telstra aren't as bad as people say. They even have techinical support people who are dedicated mac people, they are even sitting in front of a mac while they talk you through.

That may be the case, but you have to put up with the bad ones first, and then well maybe you never know that good ones are out there.

ie If there are good Mac support people at Telstra, the system fails them.

mivory
6th May 2007, 07:38 AM
I suspect Telstra angers a lot of mac users (as well as the dark forces) with poor support or advice. Perhaps they could harness the knowledge from experienced users like this group here to help new users- instead of telling them "it won't work" because they don't know the answer? Are you listening uncle T?

BlowMeDown
6th May 2007, 08:08 AM
It's odd but I've never experienced any problems with Telstra, but then again I rarely have the occasion to speak to them Macs tend to "just work".

girlbunny
6th May 2007, 09:05 AM
Damn my G4 tower just stopped a getting broadband signal :D

LOL Let's not mention my G3 iMac which is over 6 years old now and happily running on a Telstra/Bigpond connection ;)

I never bothered with their support... I'm too used to useless ISPs that know less than nothing about Macs, so just fiddle until I get the darned thing working. Thankfully, with a router, it's virtually plug and play with the Mac :)

spunky
6th May 2007, 06:18 PM
The fault is at least 3 steps away from Telstra. The company you were speaking to is called Teletech, hired by Bigpond, owned by Telstra.

Teletech International take anybody with an interest in computers thru a 2 week course, then dump them on the phones. People using Apple get transferred to a "Launch Team" which ideally support everything, including all newly released Modems/Drivers on both Windows and OS X. In a nutshell, you were fobbed.

Dante Kyar
6th May 2007, 06:31 PM
LOL Let's not mention my G3 iMac which is over 6 years old now and happily running on a Telstra/Bigpond connection ;)

I never bothered with their support... I'm too used to useless ISPs that know less than nothing about Macs, so just fiddle until I get the darned thing working. Thankfully, with a router, it's virtually plug and play with the Mac :)

I second that, i always just use a router and it basically "works all the time, %90 of the time."

stefanlod
6th May 2007, 06:42 PM
I'm happy with Telstra's incompetence at the moment - for the past few months, they haven't slowed my cable connection after I go over the download limit. :p

The Architect.mac
6th May 2007, 07:29 PM
tintin - why not download the drivers from the maxon website and try that connection client... there is also some need to disable the pin on the telstra modem i beleive, read the included docs with the drivers on maxon.com.au or links available in the mactalk connection client thread...

tintinaujapon
7th May 2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Architect, but it isn't worth all the effort. Someone in my workplace just came to me for a favour and I did my best. She's since heeded my recommendation to stay as far away from Telstra as possible and try Vodafone and that seems to have worked without a hitch.

The other friend though, the old lady, who keeps referring to the iBook I gave her as an iPod, and uses the generic term 'it' for CD-ROMs, LAN cables, power cables, her old computer and her printer, has just about had a meltdown using Telstra's software to get online. I'll go over there tomorrow and just plug the details directly into the network settings and have it up in 10 minutes.... hopefully.

EDIT: I'm so sick of being the defacto tech support for family and friends. I had all Sunday I could have sorted out getting the iBook online, but no phone call from that person until late at night. I called yesterday and couldn't get past Telstra's fricking voicemail system, and tonight when I was out I get a call to my home phone asking for help. AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

tintinaujapon
14th May 2007, 07:44 PM
The latest from the old lady to whom I gave my iBook. Thank God she didn't ask me to help her get online. Email excerpt:

I know you’re going to say, “I told you so” about Telstra but just be glad I decided to let the guy who installed my new computer set up save you the trouble of doing the Internet connection. When he attempted the connection with the Telstra kit, their CD wouldn’t pass the first frame! He had to spend over an hour on the phone talking it through with a couple of people (the first person he told that the CD wouldn’t work replied rudely, ‘What am I supposed to do about it?’). So I was very glad I hadn’t subjected you to such frustration! Thankfully he was a guy working out of the computer company, Green PC, that I got a complete computer package from – top of the range rebuilt whole box and dice – who are an interstate social justice technology company staffed mostly by volunteers who help the disadvantaged, unemployed and pensioners with cheap PC’s. His rates are very good and he didn’t charge me for the Telstra time.

jamesatfish
14th May 2007, 08:37 PM
Two quick tales from the last 3 days:

Aaah, Telstra bashing...

I'll never forget my first experience of this ilk with Telstra, back when ADSL was brand new in Australia and I moved the company I was working for, one of our clients and both my parents and in-laws from dial-up to ADSL with Telstra in the one week.

All sites were running Macs (back in the OS 9 days) so they required a PPPoE dialler which Telstra installed from a CD the tech brought out to the install (you weren't *allowed* to use a router to share the connection in those days). After sitting through 2 seamless installs at both businesses, I arranged to meet a tech at my in-laws place first thing one morning to do our first home install.

Having seen the previous install processes, I decided to be helpful by booting the Mac in advance of the tech arriving - it was a G3 iMac which took a while to boot. When the Telstra tech arrived, he looked at the iMac then asked me to turn off the computer - which I did, assuming he didn't want to run the risk of something being damaged by hot-plugging the ADSL modem.

Once the iMac was shut down, however, he then proceeded to follow Step 1 of his Mac OS 9 installation process - "Turn on the Macintosh using the power key located on the top of the keyboard". Seems the genius couldn't handle the computer already being booted as that would mean skipping Step 1 in the instruction guide...

Of course the 2nd home install went much smoother - the tech spent a good 4 hours driving between my parent's house and the exchange to troubleshoot a 'No Sync' issue, only for me to notice that he'd installed the ADSL filter the wrong way around.

Sadly my experience with Telstra just went downhill from there, and has continued sliding for the last 5+ years.

[QUOTE=tintinaujapon;290568Someone at my workplace brought her Intel iMac to me to try and get Telstra's mobile broadband working with a brand new Telstra USB modem.[/QUOTE]

Back on topic - both the MiniMax CDMA and Telstra NextG USB modems do work under OS X - I've run both on my MacBook Pro. As Architect recommends, just forget anything that Telstra supply with the modem and jump onto the Maxon website , where you can download current working drivers for the CDMA and HSPDA modems.

Exocet
15th May 2007, 07:54 AM
Also guys remember that there are two different pieces of software for the two different modems. The blue Bigpond modem requires the Bigpond software (as you need to use your Bigpond username and password. The orange Telstra Mobile Broadband modem can use the software from the maxon.com.au website.