PDA

View Full Version : ibook keyboard help

jesski
4th May 2007, 09:41 AM
Hey all,

Is it normal for the enter button (down the bottom) to be very stiff to press?? Are all ibooks this way?? The button still works but you really have to press it at the very top to get it to work, and even then it's much harder than all the other keys. When I take the keyboard off it presses fine... I think it might be the cable underneath?? Can I do something to fix this??

Thanks,
Jesski

wesleyong
4th May 2007, 03:57 PM
What model iBook do you have?

forgie
4th May 2007, 03:59 PM
That can happen if the keyboard's tab thingies aren't in their slots properly. When you put it back in, make sure the the slots that hold it in on the bottom edge are pushed in ALL THE WAY. Then you should (hopefully) be right.

hawker
4th May 2007, 04:01 PM
That can happen if the keyboard's tab thingies aren't in their slots properly. When you put it back in, make sure the the slots that hold it in on the bottom edge are pushed in ALL THE WAY. Then you should (hopefully) be right.

Continuing on from this - also check to see if dust etc is building up - that can also be a cause.

jesski
4th May 2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. Firstly, it's a 12" 1.2Ghz model. I've made sure the tabs are back in properly.. and it is a bit dusty, but no more on that key than the rest of the keyboard. I've given it a quick blow, although I realise this doesn't really do much! So how does one clean a keyboard?????

But as I mentioned, when the keyboard is lifted up the button presses normally. I still reckon it's the plastic cable thingy.. it looks like it's pushing on up on that key from here. Can I buy a new cable?

Thanks for the advice :).

forgie
4th May 2007, 05:20 PM
I have seen almost exactly the same thing on a 1.2Ghz 12" iBook. My 1.33Ghz 12" didn't have that problem, so I think it was a fault in the keyboard design. I wasn't able to fix it, although I seem to remember that by playing around with the way that you push the keyboard back in, I was able to get it to be a tad better.

jesski
4th May 2007, 05:46 PM
Ahhh.. thanks. Perhaps a few of this model had the same thing then. Mine was like this when it was new. I had a look at a friends ibook today (14" model) and the keys don't have this problem.

I'll have a play with it and see if I can improve it. Is the only way to fix this to get a new keyboard??

Byrd
4th May 2007, 06:09 PM
So how does one clean a keyboard?????

You can get cans of compressed air from Dick Smith/Jaycar, these work well. I'd also suggest getting some non-conductive lubricant spray while you're at it, squirt a little under the key and "exercise" it a few times.

With regards to the "rigid" keys, I'd suggest pushing them in hard, and making sure they properly "clicked" in.

This reply has too many childish innuendos, so I'll leave it at that :)

JB

wesleyong
7th May 2007, 10:02 AM
Maybe try removing the keys and seeing what's going on, you can look up assembly instructions, I'm trying to search then on google now...