PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious internet block ends mysteriously

RobD
12th March 2004, 09:22 PM
Who says Macs don't have emotions? One of the websites I like is the Bureau of Meteorology rain radar. (Since it never rains in Canberra these days I'm just a rain voyeur.) But suddenly last Monday week I could no longer access the page: I just got a message that it could not be loaded. I asked various authorities, none of whose suggestions made any difference. Yesterday (Thursday) I found, just as suddenly, that I could load the page again. How could this be? Looking back, the only thing I could think of is that my previous housemate moved out the same Monday as the site became unavailable; my new housemate moved in yesterday, and voila, I have access to the rain radar again. Obviously, my Mac likes to have the spare room occupied. Anybody else got a better suggestion?

Disko
12th March 2004, 09:45 PM
That sounds surreal. Sorry - no suggestion here. :wacko:

Byrd
13th March 2004, 10:51 AM
I've a few suggestions why the site didn't work for a while, but your mysterious thoughts on why it didn't work sound so much better. :)

Oh, welcome to the forums.

JB

LCGuy
13th March 2004, 02:30 PM
I reckon Macs have emotions. Like...for me it seems that Macs seem to like some people more than others. For example, when i'm using my iMac, it is extremely reliable, and is a very nice experience. However, when Dad goes to use it, he often runs into problems, such as crashes and stuff. And another time, back when i was doing work experience at teh AppleCentre, we got in a 3 Beige G3 desktops from the local TAFE college (i think). Anyway, the techs were having a rough time trying to get them going, so they gave me the job. When i set them up, 2 of them fired up on the first try with no problems whatsoever. The other one, however, didn't, due to the fact that it had a dead mobo.

Currawong
13th March 2004, 08:06 PM
Weird stuff like this is no surprise to me. Friends of mine who do alot of meditation or martial arts have changed their physical frequencies such that the energy or radiation they emit affects electronic equipment, sometimes causing it to fail or behave strangely.

jameso
15th March 2004, 08:56 AM
If your computer does not work for "no reason at all", the best fix is to stick it in the car and drive it around the block a few time. This tricks the machine into thinking that it has been taken to see a technician and, as is the way with computers, fix its self an an effort to embarrass you...

I was also given a pc that "has never had a single problem"... First night, XP had to be re-installed. I think it was largely to do with the whole bunch of cheep hardware I dumped in it but I love to complain so i'll blame the little demons that hide on the motherboard.. you know, the guys who shove little bits of coal into a tiny furness in an effort too keep your computer warm.

jameso

the_argon
15th March 2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by jameso@Mar 15 2004, 09:26 AM
I was also given a pc that "has never had a single problem"... First night, XP had to be re-installed. I think it was largely to do with the whole bunch of cheep hardware I dumped in it but I love to complain so i'll blame the little demons that hide on the motherboard.. you know, the guys who shove little bits of coal into a tiny furness in an effort too keep your computer warm.
Just don't let the magical blue smoky gas escape from the chips! That's what makes computers work! Once it's all gone the computer won't work at all!

lol

PeterPE
15th March 2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks, fellows. Am just now getting the first glimmerings of why I don't use my P4-C/3.2GHz winbox. The PC runs all the time but is just not trying hard enough to be attractive.

I fear that if I was to find something attractive about my PC, that my PowerMac might become a tad jealous and have a tanty. Best not to upset the status quo. I'll keep using the Mac and besides there's no Safari on the PC.

codeman
15th March 2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Mar 15 2004, 09:46 AM
Just don't let the magical blue smoky gas escape from the chips! That's what makes computers work! Once it's all gone the computer won't work at all!

lol
Electronics is all magical, Smoke-and-Mirrors type stuff. When you let out all the smoke, it don't work no more :lol:

as for windows, it never bloody works so who cares :P

Shawry
16th March 2004, 09:48 PM
Computers are very sensitive to aggression. As i am a calm guy i can fix all the computers in my class at tafe, yet very few others can get the darn things to work without crashing or freezing or making silly noises!

jameso
24th March 2004, 10:10 PM
no no, computer love to be yelled at, i swear, it works, DAMN IT!!!

jaemso

pipsqeek
25th March 2004, 06:55 AM
I have found a simple way to get PC's to work.

I yell at them.

Saying things like, "Come on Bitch, Give me love!"

And they usually work.

They also seem to work better when the iBook is sitting next to them.

Steve

WarwickG71
25th March 2004, 07:56 AM
The lucky people connected with iHug ( unfortunately, me ) were lucky enough to be locked out of a whole US ISPs network last month.

Three weeks passed. "It's not us" say iHug. "It's very strange." "We are not blocking any traffic from that IP" says the US provider. Three fucking weeks of denials, "It's a bit of a mystery" and "We'll look into it." THREE WEEKS of me running traceroutes til my eyes went square.

Normally I wouldn&#39;t care, but THE ISP THAT I COULDN&#39;T ACCESS WAS THE ONE HOSTING MY BUSNESSES WEBSITE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :( <_< :angry:

Even the loose threat of "I&#39;m losing business here" had little effect. In fact, iHug still hasn&#39;t given me any answers, although apparently they have given me a static IP, which is nice, but didn&#39;t help one iota. In the end, I moved my website to a new provider.

Do Macs have emotions? Of course not, but their owners sure do.

FreakMac
30th March 2004, 12:49 AM
Macs have feelings&#33;
My near new iMac (Nov 03) knows jealousy......TRUE
If I play with my iBook it (iMac) will do a weird thing.....a pink screen that appears when I come back to use it (waking it from sleep) and mysteriously goes back to normal when the iBook goes back in it&#39;s bag&#33;
It also gets fussy if it has to share its power outlet with the iBook&#39;s power adapter or anything that divides my attention from it in it&#39;s presence it will go pink...I find this very strange...some would just say it&#39;s just some sort of electrical intreference or hardware issue...but the timing and coincidence is just so unervingly eerie&#33;&#33; Use it exclusively and don&#39;t share it&#39;s power point and it works a charm
Apple support had no answers and nothing has ever been found wrong with it
I&#39;m not mad, people have witnessed this...my wife has always maintained that Macs are more than computers and have personalities and has named all three we&#39;ve owned....I was like "whatever" until the freaky pink screen of jealousy&#33;

Kane

Danamania
30th March 2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by FreakMac@Mar 30 2004, 12:49 AM
Macs have feelings&#33;
My near new iMac (Nov 03) knows jealousy......TRUE
If I play with my iBook it (iMac) will do a weird thing.....a pink screen that appears when I come back to use it (waking it from sleep) and mysteriously goes back to normal when the iBook goes back in it&#39;s bag&#33;
It also gets fussy if it has to share its power outlet with the iBook&#39;s power adapter or anything that divides my attention from it in it&#39;s presence it will go pink...I find this very strange...some would just say it&#39;s just some sort of electrical intreference or hardware issue...but the timing and coincidence is just so unervingly eerie&#33;&#33; Use it exclusively and don&#39;t share it&#39;s power point and it works a charm
Apple support had no answers and nothing has ever been found wrong with it
I&#39;m not mad, people have witnessed this...my wife has always maintained that Macs are more than computers and have personalities and has named all three we&#39;ve owned....I was like "whatever" until the freaky pink screen of jealousy&#33;

Kane
Oh dear. Green is jealousy... but pink... means your iMac has a crush on the iBook&#33;.

I suggest leaving them together overnight a few times to get to know each other a little better. Who knows - perhaps you&#39;ll soon have a litter of Newtons or something :)

dana
--
http://www.danamania.com/

pipsqeek
30th March 2004, 07:36 AM
One better, G5 cubes.

iBook says to iMac, "You listening Steve (Jobs)? This is what you should be making more of&#33; For your customers sake&#33;"

Steve

FreakMac
30th March 2004, 07:55 PM
Come to think of it I have had a green screen too&#33;&#33; So prehaps it does have a thing for the iBook the PINK is its fave colour out of the two
BTW I can still see everything on my desktop and iMac works as its maker intended but with the rose coloured glasses&#33;&#33;