PDA

View Full Version : Do some backups now

Danamania
3rd May 2007, 11:08 PM
For those who don't do backups:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/01/news/magazine.php

Oops. Losing an entire edition of a print magazine because of failed backups.

Backup, people!. If there's anything I've learned from experience and watching others with and without backups, it's that they'll be needed - eventually.

Dana

oneplusone
3rd May 2007, 11:22 PM
Yep, I learnt that the hard way too. I had my PB stolen, and hadn't backed up EVER. I lost about 2 years worth of photos , work files, downloads, general stuff.

Now I have a HD plugged in permanently, do two full backups a week, and also have a smaller hard drive that I use to back up vitals like live work files, settings, prefs, iphoto......

Hopefully i'll never loose stuff again....

iMic
4th May 2007, 01:08 AM
It's always good to backup important data. It can be hard finding a decent backup medium, which is why I don't backup frequently. I had a 40gb hard disk drive in my old machine that seemed fine up until I tried to copy the Mac OS X Public Beta off of it. Each read failed. A lot of which was recovered, but A/UX 2.0 and the OS X Public Beta were trashed.

However, some smart thinking prior to the crash ensured both the A/UX CD image and the OS X Public Beta disks were compressed and backed up to a remote machine.

smdnetau
4th May 2007, 02:22 PM
Having 100Gb of work on my Dell fileserver is enough to loose sleep over. I'm so paranoid about losing it that I've done the following.

Installed a second hard drive in the Dell. I get Retrospect to automatically do an incremental backup each night. This alternates every week to another backup location on the same drive. Or I can get it to backup to another machine altogether.

I also have an external drive that I use to archive the same work directory - uncompressed - using SyncBack (Windows). That way if the Dell explodes and totals both the hard drives I at least have a drive with files I can access straight away. I don't keep any working files on my workstation including emails. That way if that machine explodes I can just get another machine, install the apps and start working - even if it's off the external drive.

For the really big jobs - 40gb+ - I started buying external USB2 drives to archive them to exclusively. If I'm feeling really neurotic I'll put two copies on there just in case. A $130 external drive to hold a job worth 500 times that is cheap and worthwhile.

MacTime
4th May 2007, 02:28 PM
I have 3 external drives which I use SuperDuper to back up my entire internal drive. I altrenate as I backup so I've got somewhere to go incase I have a spectacular fail in the middle of a backup. Backup your backups!

marc
4th May 2007, 02:33 PM
I have 3 external drives which I use SuperDuper to back up my entire internal drive. I altrenate as I backup so I've got somewhere to go incase I have a spectacular fail in the middle of a backup. Backup your backups!
I'm similar to that, but with only 2 drives.

I can't wait for Time Machine so I can have that and SuperDuper.

Re Retrospect: Does anyone else freak out with compressed/non-standard file backups? I like backups I can use :) I don't care if they take up more space.

And for the mag: DOH! What were you guys thinking??!?!?

smdnetau
4th May 2007, 02:38 PM
I'm similar to that, but with only 2 drives.

I can't wait for Time Machine so I can have that and SuperDuper.

Re Retrospect: Does anyone else freak out with compressed/non-standard file backups? I like backups I can use :) I don't care if they take up more space.

Yep. Am thinking of ditching Retrospect for that very reason. I used to go to a tape drive before my file sizes got out of control. Those things are scary when they get errors on them.

cgollner
15th June 2007, 03:01 PM
Yep. Backup! Backup!.

Tonight I finally setup my raid 1 system and do away with the manual syncing.

Chris

detail
15th June 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm so paranoid that I backup to DVD as well each week. You never know when lightning will wipe out my 5 hard drives.

Somehow I think that Time machine will only be essential for certain types of malfunctions: software upgrades ie Safari 3 beta etc.

I'm not sure it will do much more than what Superduper does now.

rpjallan
15th June 2007, 03:40 PM
Yep. Backup! Backup!.

Tonight I finally setup my raid 1 system and do away with the manual syncing.

Chris

You still need to backup a raid 1. It won't protect you from file corruption or accidental deletion...

I read the other week of a guy who was erasing and formatting drives. Something distracted him while he was doing it and he reformatted his raid 1 volume accidentally. Lost everything...

Currawong
15th June 2007, 06:42 PM
I back up to 3 or 4 locations, depending. Two Backup.app backups run daily. A SuperDuper to a HD image daily and Backup.app backups to DVD-RW every few days. Once Blue-ray drives become cheap enough and re-writable disks become available, I'll do a SuperDuper to HDVD probably.

Velociraptors
1st December 2008, 01:44 AM
Reviving this thread because in the last week on various forums I've seen someone:

- Lose an external drive and 160GB of important data that wasn't backed up
- Drop a macbook pro onto concrete - easily replaced the Pro, couldn't recover any photos from a large iPhoto library spanning a few years, including shots of kids growing up.
- Lose both drives in a RAID setup - not redundant enough, couldn't get anything more than filenames off it
- Require macdave to go through hours and hours of recovery to get back important files from a drive.

Do backups people - now. If you don't have an automatic setup in place, dump your photos, files, workfiles etc onto DVD, an external drive, upload them somewhere online, anything.

If you think to yourself "Can't afford another drive!", a mere ~$250 worth would do most people - would you be OK if someone came and offered to give you $250 if they could permanently delete every file from your HD? If you would, you don't need any more backups :)

Remember...

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who have lost everything due to no backups, and those who will lose everything due to no backups.

Also...

If you're running with no backups, you don't own your data - you just lease it from fate.

It *will* happen.

This community announcement brought to you because I care :).

Dana

banjo
1st December 2008, 08:12 AM
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who have lost everything due to no backups, and those who will lose everything due to no backups.

Well, then that would be three types, wouldn't it? You forgot those who do backups and are thus protected (to a point).

I was just thinking I should backup all of my web design work to DVD -- I've been slack in this regard. Also considering investing in a 1TB NAS for a backup of the HDDs of all computers in the house (which already have externals).

On that note, I've been wondering if there's a program that allows you to easily do backups over multiple DVDs. I would like, for example, to only backup what's changed or hasn't already been done yet so there's only one copy of the files on any backup DVD. It would make it easier to backup things like music, movies and photos where you don't need multiple copies and can't remember what's already backed up.

Velociraptors
1st December 2008, 08:28 AM
Well, then that would be three types, wouldn't it? You forgot those who do backups and are thus protected (to a point).

The hidden point being the only people who tend to be rigorous with their backups are those who've already lost everything :).

*raises hand in that camp*

Dana

stewiesno1
1st December 2008, 09:15 AM
There are numerous threads here about losing data and the best way to backup. It is commonly held that the best advice is to back up your data three times. This is mostly for a desktop setup but the principle remains the same.
1 - To another ( second ) hard drive in your machine.
2 - To an external drive that is solely turned on and used for backing up all data.
3 - burning all data to DVD that is then stored offsite or to another hard drive that is also stored offsite.
This is to ensure that should your house burn down or someone rob you and steal everything at least all your data is safe.
There are of course other ways to backup one or more of these steps such as backing up over ethernet to an external server etc and what method like TM or Dantz Retrospect configured to your taste.
Some, also suggest re-burning all your data to new discs every five years or so, as that seems to be the accepted lifespan of CDs and DVDs.
You have to ask yourself " Can I afford to lose my data ?"

Stewie

decryption
1st December 2008, 09:51 AM
I got two 320GB USB external HDDs for $75 a pop at Big W on the weekend. Time Machine is better than nothing and a piece of piss to use and keep using.

MissionMan
1st December 2008, 09:59 AM
To this day, I'm still amazed some people don't backup. As you say, time machine makes it so easy you have no excuses not to, the only excuse for losing data should be failed backups, rather than not backing up.

Brains
1st December 2008, 10:08 AM
The hidden point being the only people who tend to be rigorous with their backups are those who've already lost everything :).

*raises hand in that camp*

*raises hand*

I don't have a lot of data that requires backing up -- about 70 GB in all -- but it contains communications, correspondence and work that goes back 25 years. Once a week, I dump my data onto an external HD used solely for backups; once a month, I create a DVD-set of new or changed files with Toast and send it to my parents, once every six months I dump the whole lot to DVD.

ozboi
1st December 2008, 10:23 AM
I create a DVD-set of new or changed files with Toast and send it to my parents, once every six months I dump the whole lot to DVD.

Did you manually create each DVD and specify what content was on them, or is there an easier, more automatic way to do it?

Brains
1st December 2008, 11:42 AM
I do it manually.

griffmiester
1st December 2008, 03:32 PM
Interestingly I've just noticed that PSTAM's latest post (from the 27th Nov) is sort of related to this topic.

Holiday Giveaway: 1.5TB of Seagate Drives - PaulStamatiou.com (http://paulstamatiou.com/2008/11/27/holiday-giveaway-15tb-of-seagate-drives)

The Giveaway requires you to leave a comment about "Have you ever lost important data on your computer - what happened and how do you backup your data now?"

Just another reminder.

ashIV
1st December 2008, 04:00 PM
I got two 320GB USB external HDDs for $75 a pop at Big W on the weekend. Time Machine is better than nothing and a piece of piss to use and keep using.

what externals hdd are they? the price sounds good and i need something to run time machine with my macbook.

i run time machine on my imac and its so dam good.