PDA

View Full Version : Different Languages: How?

BiRDBRAiN
3rd May 2007, 05:45 PM
I've recently gotten in contact with some relatives who are sending me emails in Russian, which I can read.

The catch is I want to write back to them in Russian but I have no idea how I can type in Russian.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Disko
3rd May 2007, 05:54 PM
Assuming you're in Mail.app...

Quit Mail.

System Preferences > International > Drag the language you want to the top of the list. (if it isn't there, click edit list and add it.)

exit System Prefs.

Open Mail, and it should be russianised. :P

Does that help? it's the best i can do as a core-solo linguist.

feeze
3rd May 2007, 05:57 PM
Under system preferences -> international -> input menu, you can select Russian as one of the inputs.

Then check the "show input menu in menu bar" check box a flag will appear in your menu bar. Click the flag and select the Russian flag. You can use this method to quickly switch between inputs, although the app has to be selected first. (I think you can even have different inputs assigned to different apps)

The only problem will be mapping the Russian character to the English characters. I know nothing about the Russian alphabet so I do not know if say pressing 'a' key will give you the Russian 'a'. If you click on the flag and select "Show keyboard viewer" it will bring up a virtual key showing which characters are mapped to which key.

It might even be worth investing in a Russian keyboard.

iPirate
3rd May 2007, 06:58 PM
Use the translator widget. Lol.

noisypoppy
3rd May 2007, 08:04 PM
I've got russian stickers on my keyboard, you can find them on ebay fairly cheap, $5-10 including delivery

BiRDBRAiN
3rd May 2007, 08:05 PM
LOL don't need a translator widget.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try it out.

Where would one get a Russian keyboard for interest's sake?

noisypoppy
3rd May 2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.masterrussian.com/blstickers.shtml

there is an example of such things, but as I said earlier, you can find them cheaper on ebay

Kuma
3rd May 2007, 08:13 PM
feeze is right on the money...
I do that for Japanese
a japanese keyboard is pretty much the same.. with a button to toggle between english and japanese...

when using my powerbook.. i use cmd-space to toggle between languages...
the russians at my school dont seem to have any problem using a standard qwerty keyboard to do their russian surfing and emailing.. (and that is with PCs.. I Imagine with Macs it would be even easier),.

noisypoppy
3rd May 2007, 08:16 PM
cmd+space was great to use until apple decided to make it default for spotlight!

Kuma
3rd May 2007, 09:03 PM
cmd+space was great to use until apple decided to make it default for spotlight!

yeah.. had to reconfigure that....<insert oh well emoticon>

BiRDBRAiN
3rd May 2007, 09:06 PM
Weeee! Just sent my first multi-lingual email with Mail :)

zac
3rd May 2007, 09:27 PM
No no, don't buy a Russian keyboard.

When you set up the Input menu in preferences, choose "Russian Phonetic". So all you need to do is type a word as it sounds. Works really well and you dont need to learn any new keyboard layouts.

I've been learning Russian at uni for the past 3 years and couldn't live without this feature.

dotnet
3rd May 2007, 10:58 PM
Just get this one, the ultimate 1337 keyboard:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Cheers
Steffen.

noisypoppy
4th May 2007, 12:23 AM
No no, don't buy a Russian keyboard.

When you set up the Input menu in preferences, choose "Russian Phonetic". So all you need to do is type a word as it sounds. Works really well and you dont need to learn any new keyboard layouts.

I've been learning Russian at uni for the past 3 years and couldn't live without this feature.

I never got the russian phonetic thing
I have a russian friend who cannot for the life of him type in cyrillic, he types shit at it sounds, it's horrible to try to comprehend
cyrillic is much easier

zac
4th May 2007, 08:58 AM
What do you mean? It's still all in Cyrillic. It's phonetic as in when you press the english key "L", the Cyrillic letter "L" is typed.

kim jong il
4th May 2007, 10:18 AM
Phonetic conversion probably relies on a certain standard type pronunciation. How would an English phonetic type conversion thing work if it was coded by an American but used by a Scotsman or new Zealander? I'm guessing that would look pretty screwy too.

zac
4th May 2007, 10:42 AM
Ok I'll try to make it clearer because the word phonetic seems to be causing confusion.

Russian has a keyboard layout that is different to English, which makes it difficult to type in Russian because you have to learn a new location for every letter.

The great thing is that the Russian alphabet is it is actually very similar to the English alphabet.

So what Apple decided to do was to give you the option of keeping the English layout (ie, A,S,D,F,G) except when those keys are pressed it types the cyrillic character instead of the English character. So you get the benefits of typing in Cyrillic using the keyboard layout we all know and are used to.

BiRDBRAiN
4th May 2007, 11:40 AM
I agree with the use of the phonetic keyboard layout. It seems to be easier (although still getting used to it) for me to find the correct Russian letter based on the sound.

zac
4th May 2007, 11:54 AM
Harasho, udachi.

(I would type in Russian but MacTalk doesnt like it).

noisypoppy
4th May 2007, 11:54 AM
I've never used it, I've always typed with cyrillic, easy with the stickers, I don't much look at them now (as with english)

edit: and by cyrillic I mean, actual keys not phonetic (I understand phonetic layout)

kim jong il
4th May 2007, 11:55 AM
... the word phonetic seems to be causing confusion...

I wasn't remotely confused by the definition of phonetic. BIRDBRAINs post #18 illustrates the point I was attempting to make. Trying to get the sound to match the key.

zac
4th May 2007, 11:57 AM
It's really not hard. It's very close to the english layout for all similar letters. The only ones you need to relearn are the exclusively russian sounds like ch, zh, ya, yu, sh, etc.

noisypoppy
4th May 2007, 12:05 PM
I guess it's just personal preference. Never really found it difficult with the cyrillic layout.
I found chatting with my russian friends and irc etc helped me learn the keys quickly, I went from hunt and peck to slutty secretary in around two weeks.

I'm glad I learnt the layout though, when I was in Russia a lot of the internet cafe's I went to had it set to that layout on default (which I guess is easily enough changed)