PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook charger stuffed!!!

ppops
1st May 2007, 07:12 PM
I just had a look at my charger and it looks as though the wire has been burnt a little bit. It does get extremely hot sometimes. I.e. If I left my hand on it I think it would burn it.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have to wiggle the end near the block and then it works.

Question: Will this be covered by AppleCare? I don't see why it shouldn't be.....

Also, If I bring it in, will they let me keep it untill the new one comes in?

mwot
1st May 2007, 07:22 PM
is your Powerbook still under Apple Care? if so, the charger will be too.

if it is really heating up, my advice is to stop using it immediately and arrange for a replacement asap.

if they tell you it will be some time to get the charger replaced, i'd see if i could buy a 'spare' then when the replacement does come in, get a refund on the one you purchased and let them keep the replacement.

ppops
1st May 2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah it's still under AppleCare luckily.

Thanks for the advice mwot!

sunrisesister
1st May 2007, 07:34 PM
the charger/brick will only have a year of warranty, sorry. Mine went boom pfft fiizzzz ploof *flame* and apple didnt give a shit.

mwot
1st May 2007, 07:44 PM
the charger/brick will only have a year of warranty, sorry. Mine went boom pfft fiizzzz ploof *flame* and apple didnt give a shit.

well that would be very stiff. by logic, the AC charger is surely counted as a integral machine 'component' ... running off battery only gets you so far.

based on GB's experience, i'd contact Apple to confirm. also, if you have the AppleCare pack handy, read through the fine print and see if it specifically excludes the charger.

Jaffa
1st May 2007, 07:48 PM
Ppops,

STOP USING THE CHARGER IMMEDIATELY!!!

My Mums PowerBook charger did the same thing, and then one day the cable on the 240V side burst into flames (luckily she put a piece of clothing onto it as soon as it did it and unplugged it, and it went out) and then one on the output side charred and melted...

Get it replaced under Warranry ASAP, and DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT.

Jeff

ppops
1st May 2007, 08:40 PM
I'll have a read of the booklet.

Arghh shit you've scared me Jaffa. I'll stop using it now! Eek.

mwot
1st May 2007, 10:10 PM
I'll have a read of the booklet.

Arghh shit you've scared me Jaffa. I'll stop using it now! Eek.

get the most out of it: cook your bacon and eggs on it in the morning ;)