PDA

View Full Version : mail crashes MacBookPro

lenman74
1st May 2007, 11:18 AM
Hi

My brother tells me that everytime he launches mail it crashes his 10.4 installed macbookpro. And by crashes he says that he has to take out the battery to make it restart.

Is there a preference file he can delete that wont stuff up his mail accounts or data?

Is there any other things he can try at first to see if he can stop it?

Thanks
Len

Aa
1st May 2007, 11:29 AM
That sounds nasty.

Has he mucked around wit his fonts/font managers at all? (ie Installed lots of fonts, disabled/enabled lots of fonts or installed font management software like extensis suitcase or font explorer X?)

shorebuck
1st May 2007, 11:30 AM
That's pretty hardcore; when Mail locks up on me, I delete com.apple.mail.plist from ~/Library/Preferences.

I have to redo some of my settings like read mail in plain text and don't display images.

I use a .mac account and I have to correct the Outgoing server with the correct port - for some reason it turns off the SSL and reverts to the old port. otherwise, everything else is fine.

jeremy_warnock
1st May 2007, 11:33 AM
it could be a corrupted message. goto uhm username/libaray mail/mailboxes and try removing all the messages (just move then to a backup location so you still have them) and start it up again, if it works then try to isolate which message is cause the problem

lenman74
1st May 2007, 11:47 AM
thanks ill give these a go