PDA

View Full Version : Networking two mac's

PurpleLogix
30th April 2007, 09:59 PM
Hello,

I would like to network my G4 powermac with my Mac pro. Is Appletalk the best and easiest way to connect them together?

I want to be able to transfer files between the two.

Ps I did connect them together, but the mac pro was reacting a little strange after. It would take a long time( hang on the grey screen) to boot up and would give me a globe icon at startup, followed by the apple logo etc...

Thanks

gameon
30th April 2007, 10:03 PM
how do you have them plugged into each other?
ethernet
firewire
wireless

Byrd
30th April 2007, 10:06 PM
I did connect them together, but the mac pro was reacting a little strange after. It would take a long time( hang on the grey screen) to boot up and would give me a globe icon at startup, followed by the apple logo etc...

Sounds like a startup disk isn't properly selected on your Mac Pro. If nothing is selected it'll have a good look to see if there is anything else to boot off, including network volumes (hence globe icon).

To rectify this, go to your System Preferences>Startup Disk>select the Mac Pro boot drive.

As for networking the two, a simple ethernet crossover cable will do the trick, once you've sorted out the above.

JB

PurpleLogix
30th April 2007, 10:07 PM
yes forgot to mention it will be with ethernet and cross over cable.

denwol
30th April 2007, 10:12 PM
you dont need a crossover cable as a normal one will do.
Just plug them together, go to sharing in system preferences and hey presto

Go to network in your finder and the name of the other computer should pop up

kristian
30th April 2007, 10:55 PM
If the firewire ports are free, use them and firewire networking. Should be faster as I don't think the G4 has gigabit ethernet.

kim jong il
30th April 2007, 11:03 PM
... as I don't think the G4 has gigabit ethernet.

Except the Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio, Quicksilver and Mirror Drive Door models. :)