PDA

View Full Version : superduper images...couple of questions

speedway boy
30th April 2007, 02:15 PM
Ok, as an off shoot from the backup thread today...
I have Superduper free version and want to use it.
I have a spare external drive, but I would really like to still be able to use this drive for other stuff.

So my guess is that I should create a disk image of my internal drive on that drive is that right?
Can I, in any way boot from that drive if needs be if my main drive dies?

If I can't do that, what would be the workflow of rebuilding a drive with a disk image backup?

Is this really a good way to go?
I have a lot of pro apps, etc so I could see I would want to use this backup as insurance against OSX upgrade issues (like the ones we have seen with 10.4.9)

Thanks for your advice

The Architect.mac
30th April 2007, 02:28 PM
partition it and keep a stable clone and a weekly updating clone..

cgollner
30th April 2007, 02:57 PM
partition it and keep a stable clone and a weekly updating clone..

Thats what I do.

On the other partition I back my account daily to an image file.

In disaster, restore the clone, then the user backup.

speedway boy
30th April 2007, 05:23 PM
ok cool.
I'll give it a go.
I've never booted up from a firewire before. Is it just a case of holding down C when starting then picking which partition for start up?

cheers

neilrobinson
30th April 2007, 05:33 PM
option is the key :) allows you to choose what drive :)

mctext
30th April 2007, 06:19 PM
The way I handle this is a bit cumbersome but involves max redundancy.
I work mostly on the MB and, every time I write a file or edit a photo etc., I transfer it via flash drive to the PB.
Then, once a week I back up each machine to a separate external HD using SuperDuper's quick backup option -- which you don't get with the trial version (and, as I said on the other thread, this is really worth having for the few bucks it costs.)
Cased hard drives are pretty cheap ... so I figure, at the worst, I'll still have all my files, in any one of four places, even if I have to reinstall lost apps.
Both external drives are partitioned, with the main partition just slightly bigger than those on the laptops.
The smaller partitions are just for things I couldn't stand to lose (e.g., daughter's wedding photos, GarageBand Jam Packs which never seem to reinstall properly from CD for some reason.)
Every now and then, I try booting each machine from its own external HD to be sure everything's safe.
Mission-critical files (e.g., tomorrow's lecture) also go straight to a DVD-RW just in case -- then I can take the DVD of the Keynote file to the lecture if there's any kind of failure.
This is all a bit paranoid I know: but it's a regime that's saved me from angry students, demanding publishers, I-want-it-now musicians, photo purchasers and ... the ATO!
Hope this helps.

mct

patcanuck
30th April 2007, 07:51 PM
Like you I'Ve used Superduper to make a bootable backup of my MacBook to an external firewire drive. The first thing I discovered is that it wipes everything on the drive/partition which meant stuff I had stored there was cactus. The second thing was when i got adventurous enough to try to boot from the firewire is I ended up with a screen asking for my admin name and password. It didn't matter how many times I typed in my admin name and password it would not accept them. So I have a bootable drive I can't boot from but at least everything is backed up there which is some comfort I guess :)

Currawong
30th April 2007, 09:06 PM
I backup using SuperDuper to an image on an external drive as well. It saves me having to do the guesswork of working out how much space I need, as it expands automatically if the contents of my drive get larger.

I also run Backup.app backups to a network drive, as well as to re-writable DVD's. If I do any important work, I run a backup afterwards.

My servers are automatically rsync'ed to other servers at varying intervals, from as little as one hour.

speedway boy
1st May 2007, 01:37 PM
happy days!
It all worked. Partitioned a drive, cloned the internal drive, tried a restart and booted from firewire.

Meh....you might say.
Its just that I verge on the paranoid when I start reformatting drives and booting differently or whatever. But its all good I think.

So my back up solution is Superduper for the internal to a partitioned firewire for bootable backup
and using synk for my projects folder on another firewire to sync with a 3rd firewire.

I can finally go.......aaaaaaaah. That sweet feeling of invincibility. kinda.

I suppose I better check the batteries in the smoke alarm now....:rolleyes:

mctext
1st May 2007, 02:50 PM
Speedway,
Glad it worked.
I suspect the bootability has to do with the *original* formatting of the external HD.
This is why I always buy externals from Zytech.
[[Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interest whatsoever here.]]
Greg at Zytech is always alert to what you specifically want to do with a bit of hardware and he's a Mac geek.
So you tell him in advance what you actually need, he gets the stuff in, pre-formats it correctly for that job and mails it to anywhere in Oz for a reasonable price.
His is a small concern coming out of Bunbury (WA) with no shopfront -- just sales.
If anything goes wrong (which it always can, despite anyone's best efforts), he takes it back with no questions asked and sends a replacement free of charge.
So I think this is the kind of thing MacTalkers should support.
I.e., we want to stay away from big-biz sharks (Next?) and also get good service, esp. if you can just phone the seller and get the info direct.
So I recommend: greg@zytech.com.au for the most reliable Mac stuff.

mct