PDA

View Full Version : Opening up a 4g iPod without any tools

bolle
30th April 2007, 01:58 AM
hi

I've managed to replace a 3g ipod before, so i told my gf that i'd replace the battery in her 4G. I hastily bought the battery off ebay, and didn't realise they werenít going to send me the plastic thing to open it with :mad:

I've spent the last few hours trying to pry it open with a small screwdriver, only managing to scratch it up, and bend the metal backing (once i finally managed to slightly open it up)

Is there anything i could use to slide around the edges that won't fuck it up completely?

thanks

Andrew

Byrd
30th April 2007, 08:50 AM
Without any tools? That would be a challenge :) For future reference Jaycar sell iPod batteries and provide toolkits with each one. To open your iPod without scratching it, something like a thin plastic kitchen spatula works wonders here, as it's soft and doesn't mark the outer shell.

JB

thorevenge
30th April 2007, 09:11 AM
Just be very careful and try to avoid what happened to me - cracked the screen :(

rooread
30th April 2007, 09:37 AM
Go to your local musical instrument store and buy some Bass guitar picks of various gauges. You need to buy the stiff plastic type, not the flexible nylon type. They're about 20 cents each and are the perfect tool!

Linux_insidev2
30th April 2007, 09:45 AM
you don't want to pry the metal away - you want to insert something between the plastic and the metal and then try to push on the plastic until it pops out, then you can slowly move around and do it.

I have pulled apart my iPod Photo plenty of times, i usually pry it a bit with a fingernail and carefully insert a small flat blade screw driver, do it on the bottom edge first and remember to push the face away from the metal, don't try to unclip it as they will pop out of their own accord.