PDA

View Full Version : A Parallels question..

BlowMeDown
29th April 2007, 06:04 PM
I did a search on this but couldn't find a definitive answer, so I'll ask...

I've been using Bootcamp simply as part of my web design for checking against IE6 (and now IE 7 lol) and Firefox Windows version. As most of you know this is a pain in the backside. So I am contemplating Parallels. I don't need to install onto Bootcamp just direct into Parallels as this would be my only reason for using Windows.

Now my question is how well does Parallels work if I am to use screen spanning? I have a 17" external monitor, so can I pull the virtual XP over to it or does it struggle there?

Thanks

PS I'll be doing it on a MBP

Seon
29th April 2007, 06:06 PM
Yep, doing it right now... windows on one side, OSX on the other!

Also, you can go into coherent mode, where your windows windows are intermixed with your OSX windows, and your apps appear in the dock! It's ACE!

Jaffa
29th April 2007, 06:12 PM
Yep. I did this on my macbook millions of times. (both what you want and what seon explained)

you dont even need ton install another version of windows onto there as the latest version of parallels can boot up from the bootcamp partition of windows.

hope that helps.

jeff

BlowMeDown
29th April 2007, 06:22 PM
Thanx guys. I probably won't bother with the Bootcamp install, like I said I don't use Windows for anything else.

Jaffa
29th April 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah. Thats what I do. At first I installed Boot Camp and Parallels as well, but I really only need Parallels as nothing I do requires the power of the full computer in Windows. (and yet it still runs faster in Parallels than on any genuine Windows PC that I have used :p)

Cheers

Jeff

Currawong
30th April 2007, 11:07 AM
d4mk: It just means that you need to earn some money and PAY for Parallels.

mechcon
30th April 2007, 11:27 AM
Qemu is free, but a tad flaky, it's a good investment to get parallels anyway, even though at least with VMware fusion, there's multicore support.

I sense that it wont be going away in a hurry. Unless Apple pulls something out of their arse with virtualisation in 10.5 (which so far looks unlikely... but given the bombshell that they dropped on us last year with releasing bootcamp).