PDA

View Full Version : Hidden files visible after resotre from backup

mini_Matt
28th April 2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys,

If this has been answered before just point me in the right direction, I did a search and couldn't find anything though.

I recently restored a backup that I made of one of my macs and now the /var /etc & /tmp folders are visible in Finder when the were previously hidden. I have tried a couple of apps such as Hide Folders (http://www.altomac.com/hide_folders/) but due to permission it will not let me hide them.

I also tried using setfile in Terminal but that didn't seem to hide the folders. I also tried the Terminal command on a couple of other things I had lying around and it worked on them perfectly.

setfile -a V somefile.jpg

So I'm guessing that the permissions on the folders are not letting me hide them, is there some way to overcome this?

Thanks,
Matt

Shatter
28th April 2007, 11:39 AM
open NetInfo(/Manager) and go to create root user or similar.

Type in the password you wish to use as root and then confirm.

WARNING: root will be able to have access to every file/folder on the comp.

Log out.

There should be an "other" section on the login screen.

Click it.

Username: System Administrator

Password: (the one you specified before)

Run the "Hide Folders" app that you used before and do the same thing.

NO MORE PERMISSIONS ERRORS!!

log out of root.

open NetInfo(/Manager) and deactivate root user.

done, and done, and i mean done!

mini_Matt
28th April 2007, 12:08 PM
Ok.. I followed that, thanks for the advice it all seemed to work.

Well I logged out and got the welcome thing running like the first time you turn on you mac. Decided to restart just incase, didn't really want to go through creating a new account thought a reset might fix it.

It restarted and after the gray apple logo I have a black screen with some text as below, me thinks this folder hiding program worked a bit too well under root. This is what I've got now and although this was not meant to happen where do I go from here?

/etc/master .passwd: No such file or directory
-sh-22.05b# CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop
IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer Stopped

mini_Matt
28th April 2007, 01:19 PM
I've managed to fix myself up, so here's the solution incase anyone else manages to get stuck.

I had to start the broken machine in target disk mode, then I went to the disks /private folder, made Finder show all hidden files and created new symbolic links and replaced the broken ones, simple.

As for the program that I originally used it does actually specify not to use this on files that the OS needs to run, these were symbolic links however which I don't think this program can handle correctly. They do have a solution for unhiding folders that are hidden but this does not work on symbolic links therefore they needed to be replaced.