PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Sony FX1E - Final Cut Pro

colematt86
24th April 2007, 10:03 PM
I have just purchased an FX1E and am really not happy with the quality of the footage when exported in Final Cut Pro. The full res. image produced is has very noticable horizontal lines (see attached image). It might even be camera (settings or head problem), but the camera is only a week old?

Can someone please review the attached image and comment on possible problems.

Many thanks

Matt

(Edit - not really clear to see in the attached image, but the blurs near the hand appear as definite horizontal lines)

spilla
24th April 2007, 10:21 PM
I'd say that's the interlacing.

What frame rate are you shooting at?

hawker
24th April 2007, 10:26 PM
I'd say that's the interlacing.

What frame rate are you shooting at?

Definitely an interlace issue. Ignore my stupidity, but can you shoot in progressive?

And does your project profile match the camera settings? HDV Pal ? DV Pal or whatever.

spilla
24th April 2007, 10:35 PM
Ignore my stupidity, but can you shoot in progressive?

Looking at the specs, it looks like it can shoot in DV PAL (576i), 720p and 1080i.

colematt, have you tried shooting in each of these to see which works best? If you're trying to avoid interlacing, I'd shoot in 720p.

colematt86
24th April 2007, 10:38 PM
No, the FX1E cannot shoot in progressive. I tried to export from Imovie HD and the same problem (see image added to first post). I also tried recording direct from cam. in FCP and same again.

All profile settings match. If anyone has n FX1E it would be great to know the settings used when exporting HDV.

Thanks again

hawker
24th April 2007, 10:39 PM
How can a HD camera not shoot in progressive?

colematt86
24th April 2007, 11:02 PM
Tried other default settings from imovie HD and it worked fine. ie. export for ipod, cdrom, idvd etc.. Only when I export as HD do I get the lines.

OziMac
24th April 2007, 11:20 PM
How can a HD camera not shoot in progressive?

Please tell me you're not serious hawker. :)

colematt86
24th April 2007, 11:41 PM
Just found this topic on another forum.

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?p=54764

Can anyone confirm that the interlacing issue is due to viewing on computer monitor?

zbaron
25th April 2007, 01:50 PM
At work I have the Sony A1P (could not get the extra couple of grand for the FX1) and yes, it shoots in 1080i @ 50fps by default. Very few cameras can shoot 720p. I've only been using iMovie HD and the interlacing does appear on a computer monitor because they display progressive at 60fps.

Final Cut Pro can pull down 1080i50 to 24p can't it? For that more "film" look. I've only tried to use FCP once and quickly ran back to iMovie. :o

grorr76
25th April 2007, 02:27 PM
defintly an interlacing issue. get yourself a good deinterlacing plugin and that should clean that up.

Razer
25th April 2007, 03:08 PM
correct my if I'm wrong. I think it is because the camera is shooting interlaced and your computer monitor is progressive. I've noticed it on my HDV camera. Deinterlacing is what i use to fix up the problem.. To test it out, download vlc and load up something and select deinterlace under the video menu and select linear or bob. You can deinterlace in final cut but i'd test it first in vlc to ensure that is actually the issue :)

ClockWork
25th April 2007, 03:16 PM
Still ... with Colematt's digital video camera - one should be able to select both odd and even fields.

Colematt - have a good search through its manual about odd and even fields.

What is the full name of your cam-corder, brand name - including letters and numbers of specific model ?