PDA

View Full Version : No multi-session dvds with Toast 8

BlowMeDown
23rd April 2007, 09:39 AM
That's right folks. If you want to use DVDs to back up important data files rather than use a myriad of cds forget using Toast 8, because is does not support multi-session burning to DVDs.

Guess I'm on the hunt for a more versatile burning app...

stewiesno1
23rd April 2007, 09:46 AM
You sure ? That seems like a serious feature omission to me. I would assume this will be fixed via an update pronto otherwise people will stay with Toast 7.
Stewie

BlowMeDown
23rd April 2007, 10:01 AM
Yep it's a certain.

richbowen
23rd April 2007, 10:02 AM
From page 44 of the Toast 8 User Guide:

Multi-session CDs: If you are making a data CD and would like to leave the disc “open” so you can record additional data sessions at a later time, click the Advanced tab and choose Write Session. You can now continue to add data to this CD until you have exceeded its capacity or you choose Write Disc to “close” it. Each recording session will appear as a unique disc icon on your Desktop – this is normal Mac OS behavior and is not controlled by Toast. You cannot make multi-session DVDs or Blu-ray discs.

Multi-session CDs are possible but not DVDs.:thumbdn:

tcn33
23rd April 2007, 10:12 AM
You could try BurnAgain DVD, which sounds (http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/burnagain-dvd/) pretty handy. Demo available here (http://freeridecoding.com/burnagaindvd/). It's $24.50 USD for a licence, but if you need it, you need it.

mac_man_luke
23rd April 2007, 10:32 AM
for less than 50c a disk why bother?

BlowMeDown
23rd April 2007, 10:42 AM
for less than 50c a disk why bother?

Because one DVD vs several CDs is more convenient :rolleyes:

cabel
25th April 2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, what is it with toast.... for me it's the best tool for burning, especially when ripping tapes, vinyl etc but the above issue is a pain in the butt. Also there is no option to not eject a re writable disc after erasure - also even when selecting 0 seconds between tracks there is a slight gap on playback... Also I could be wrong but the new version won't "copy" cd's?

stewiesno1
25th April 2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah I agree with you mac_man_luke. I have a DVD burner but I admit most of the stuff I burn is incremental files to a CD - cheap as. The only big stuff ( bigger than 700mb ) I burn is a few home movies every once in a while. Depends on the size of your files though and what you do for a living. Obviously if you were a video or graphics pro then you would have large files and DVD would be the way to go. BurnAgain DVD sounds good. Why they haven't incorporated this sort of feature into Toast is a mystery ???
Stewie

girlbunny
25th April 2007, 03:29 PM
Considering DVDs have much more room for data, and thus have more need to use multiple sessions for saving data... it does seem an exceeding stupid choice for Toast to make. I definitely prefer to save data to a DVD - I don't have the room or patience to have all those CDs for archiving data when a much smaller amount of DVDs will work just as well. What do they want us to do? Wait until we have 4+Gig worth of data to back up before doing so? Or saving on multiple CDs until we have enough to fill one DVD and then make a copy of the data to DVD? If the reason I'm saving to DVD is to save space, I definitely wouldn't want to do the latter... and if I'm wanting to also back up data, then I wouldn't want to wait a potentially long time to do the former.

Maybe they're actually wanting people to only want to use Toast to rip off DVD movies? It doesn't make sense to me, but then again... the whole issue doesn't make sense to me.

cabel
25th April 2007, 11:33 PM
AND you need a new key to run the 8.1 update... What next???

ok, whinge is over...