PDA

View Full Version : IMAC G5 ethernet port HELP

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 10:30 PM
Ive lost my internet connection through my ethernet port. wireless is ok but in system preferences/Network/Built-in Ethernet it says the cable for built-in ethernet is not plugged in.
I have tested the ethernet cable,reset the ADSL wireless router,swapped ports in the router and it still wont talk ...Whit the imac connected to the router via cable the light on the LAN port lights up ect.
I cant ping the router via ethernet connection either any ideas
The router is a D-LINK DSL-G604T

ClockWork
22nd April 2007, 10:33 PM
Got another Ethernet Cable at your disposal ?

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 10:34 PM
Got another Ethernet Cable at your disposal ?

it tests fine

ClockWork
22nd April 2007, 10:35 PM
it tests fine

what does? the "other" ethernet cable - or do both foul up?

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 10:39 PM
just tried a brand new cable ....nothing

zbaron
22nd April 2007, 10:41 PM
Assuming a hardware issue and not a software problem. Take a close look into the ethernet ports of both the iMac and the router. Make sure that all eight pins of the port are down in the correct position. If one has become stuck so that it does not make contact with the connector, you can very carefully reposition them -- by gently trying to move them sideways -- back into place with something like a straightened paper clip.

You have not been changing settings in the Ethernet tab of the Network Settings system preference have you?

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 10:43 PM
no had not changed any settings before it failed....ok ill chech the pins in the imac

ClockWork
22nd April 2007, 10:45 PM
If you enter the System Profiler - and click on: Locations on the left column, and scroll down a tad on the right - what does it say next to Built-in Ethernet:

?

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 10:47 PM
Built-in Ethernet:
Type: Ethernet
BSD Device Name: en0
Hardware (MAC) Address: 00:14:51:2f:88:02
IPv4:
Configuration Method: DHCP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
AppleTalk:
Configuration Method: Node
Proxies:
FTP Proxy Enabled: 0
FTP Passive Mode: 1
Gopher Proxy Enabled: 0
HTTP Proxy Enabled: 0
HTTPS Proxy Enabled: 0
RTSP Proxy Enabled: 0
SOCKS Proxy Enabled: 0
Ethernet:
Media Subtype: autoselect
MTU: 1500

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 10:48 PM
pins are all straight

ClockWork
22nd April 2007, 11:00 PM
you're pinging:

and it's coming up with : host not found - or something similar - logical elimination suggests that Ethernet firmware on the G604T has... flaked out.

The only way to confirm the test would be to attach another DSL Modem Router.

godsdice
22nd April 2007, 11:04 PM
you're pinging:

and it's coming up with : host not found - or something similar - logical elimination suggests that Ethernet firmware on the G604T has... flaked out.

The only way to confirm the test would be to attach another DSL Modem Router.

ok but i can ping it through inbuilt airport and im surfing the net now connected with airport to the dlink ..? ok in the morning ill plug the router into my kids pc