PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N95 - Will it sync?

fionaw
21st April 2007, 09:13 PM
Hi all,

Husband is currently in Hong Kong, where apparently Nokia's are going cheap.

My current Motorola V3 works perfectly with iSync. My calendar and address applications are the most important to me.

I've checked the list of phones that work with iSync and the most recent Nokia model listed is the N90.

Does anyone have an N95 and does it 'just work' with your mac? If it does I will get him to get me one! I do love new toys.

Cheers,
Fiona

zbaron
21st April 2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.nokia.com/A4299040

The N95 is listed as requiring an extra plugin, that is available at that page.

fionaw
21st April 2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.nokia.com/A4299040

The N95 is listed as requiring an extra plugin, that is available at that page.

Sweet! I now have my hopes up and am in love with this new toy, so he better come through!

scritch
25th April 2007, 12:05 PM
Sweet! I now have my hopes up and am in love with this new toy, so he better come through!

I just got mine last Friday. Put my 3 SIM in and it automatically set it all up - Planet 3, services, mobile broadband etc.

I grabbed the iSync plugin for it from the Nokia website and sync is perfect - contacts, calendar etc - only thing is it doesn't categorise or colour the other calendars (if you have more than one calendar like I do).

When you plugin via USB you can tell it to connect either to Sync or as Mass Storage - in Mass Storage mode iPhoto will come up and let you pull the photos and videos you have taken off it just like any other camera.

No iTunes sync... but hey we can't get everything can we :)

More about the Phone:
The WiFi works perfectly with my Airport Extreme N router in 802.11n (b&g) mode, or via my Airport Express (with Airtunes) via 802.11g, using WPA encryption fine.

I'm loving the built-in (or freely downloaded from Nokia, can't remember) Podcast client that can natively download MP3's, AAC's, MP4 Videos etc from Podcast feeds via 3G or WiFi.

Audio quality from inbuilt speakers is good, and standard 3.5" mini jack lets you use your iPod/Shure/Sony/Whatever headphones and the playback is clear and static free. The phones comes with a 1Gb micro-SD - I grabbed a 2Gb pretty quickly so I can install new apps straight to the card and also have more storage for my podcasts etc.

Web Browser is excellent and has "Web Feeds" (or RSS as we know it) support too, although some feeds (like blogs using Feedburner) don't seem to work for me. Lots of RSS readers available for a fee like Resco's if you need it.

If you're on 3, I highly recommend adding an X-Series (http://xseries.three.com.au/xseries/) subscription plan to the phone which I just did. Whilst the N95 is not officially supported yet (but coming soon (http://xseries.three.com.au/xseries/mobiles_compatibility.shtml)), X-Series on the N95 gives you (at the moment - more to come) Skype to Skype Calling, 500/1Gb/2Gb options for downloads, unlimited 3 email, unlimited Bumber Pack (Planet 3 stuff like Movies, News, Sport, eBay) and will soon have MSN and Yahoo Messenger support, as well as Orb (http://www.orbnetworks.com/) support, although Orb counts towards your data usage.

The Skype support is really interesting. They use a special 3 version of iSkoot's software (http://www.iskoot.com) that uses your 3G service to get status info of your Skype contacts, then when they call you or you call them, 3 actually have a Mobile->Skype gateway server as part of their service which means your call is actually a GSM/UMTS standard phone call that gets encoded via the server into VoIP. Makes the call quality excellent and lets 3 offer higher Quality of Service as your phone isn't using the Data Connection to make the call.
Also lets them charge for it - but they give you a generous amount of minutes in the X-Series packs (starting at 1000mins).

Lots of other cool stuff - Nokia have a YouTube plugin for their Video Service on the phone that lets you watch the latest high rating YouTube clips. There is also a Flickr plugin for the Gallery that allows you to upload any photos on your phone directly to your Flickr account with titles etc over 3G or WiFi.

All in all I'm loving this phone.

Regards,
Shane.

smilne360
25th April 2007, 12:19 PM
these out in autralia yet? i thought they were a while off..

scritch
25th April 2007, 12:30 PM

I saw some for sale for just over $1k AU at a little mobile phone store in Mandarin Center, Chatswood, NSW. They had the Australian model so definitely released - just may be more boutique or order-in only, as it is outright purchase only.

Regards,
Shane.

fionaw
25th April 2007, 04:35 PM

I was scoping them out in Crazy John's in Chadstone, VIC last weekend so they are here.

Shane - Thanks for the review! I really, really want one now. Hubby is baulking at cost and trying to push me to a blackberry, but they seem to much hassle with my mac. And really, this is a fill in until the iPhone is up and going in Aus.

I will call him now and reinforce the fact that I will be a much happier person with this new toy.

Cheers,
Fiona

macsyd
25th April 2007, 04:38 PM
They are on sale at Dick Smith Powerhouse in Sydney (Alexandria I think it is).

InfiniteAnthony
26th April 2007, 08:41 AM
How much are they in Hongkong?

I am waiting for the Nokia e90 Communicator to come out but if it doesn't come out before July I will be buying a n95

scritch
26th April 2007, 10:02 AM
Shane - Thanks for the review! I really, really want one now. Hubby is baulking at cost and trying to push me to a blackberry, but they seem to much hassle with my mac. And really, this is a fill in until the iPhone is up and going in Aus.

No problems! I'm interested in the iPhone as well... but I need to get my hands on a HSDPA supporting 3G version before I get too excited.

More review chatter: :)
Started playing with the Nokia Maps software and GPS. I recommend using WiFi for your access point first loading time, as it pulls down the latest maps upon first startup - not sure how big they are but best to use the lowest cost bandwidth. The mapping is really quite good, and route planning works well. The GPS is a little slow to start up at first - my first use I was in open sky and it took approx 5 mins to get a position lock (started thinking it was faulty!) - but subsequent uses it's now down to 30secs or so when stationary.

Just remember - the GPS receiver is under the numeric keypad, so you need to have the phone slide open or it won't work.

I haven't subscribed to the Navigation part of the program yet so I can't speak for it's voice guided turn by turn routing/re-routing.

I've also grabbed Google Maps for Mobile by browsing on my phone to http://maps.google.com.au/gmm - and whilst this doesn't have GPS support and chews more bandwidth (due to it pulling 100-200kb map "tiles" down constantly) the local business and address lookup is great - it's like having a Whitepages/Yellowpages with Maps and Directions on your phone.

I'm finding more and more to like about this phone... and so far the only negative I've found is that I've gotten an "Out of Memory - Close Some Apps" message a few times when playing high quality MP4 Videos - a close of some apps or worst case restart of phone has resolved this so far. Only happened once or twice though, and it's worked perfectly at other times so not really an annoyance for me given all of the positives.

Don't go Blackberry - you can't have as much fun and they are nowhere near as cool :cool:, and personally I don't like being reliant on a gateway supplied by a company in Canada (RIM) to receive all of my email etc - they have an outage (like they did last week) and you're off the air.

Regards,
Shane.

fionaw
26th April 2007, 06:08 PM
I didn't get one... :( Apparently they were about $900 australian still in HK which is beyond our budget.

Husband will be sleeping in the shed for a few days.

scritch
26th April 2007, 08:54 PM
I didn't get one... :( Apparently they were about $900 australian still in HK which is beyond our budget.

Husband will be sleeping in the shed for a few days.

Sorry to hear it... what did he get you instead?

Regards,
Shane.

fionaw
26th April 2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear it... what did he get you instead?

Regards,
Shane.

Crap, fake accessories, like beads and Gucci handbags. No technology toys at all!

CoeurdeLyon
26th April 2007, 10:55 PM
scritch, have you tried real player on it yet? I'm interested to see if you listen to bbc radio programs which are available from bbc.com/radio in real player format. I often listen on my powerbook but really looking forward to doing it on a mobile device.

Thanks,
Richard

smilne360
26th April 2007, 11:37 PM
i told my insurnace company today to order one.
hopefully it will be here soon...

scritch
27th April 2007, 08:30 PM
scritch, have you tried real player on it yet? I'm interested to see if you listen to bbc radio programs which are available from bbc.com/radio in real player format. I often listen on my powerbook but really looking forward to doing it on a mobile device.

Thanks,
Richard

I'm not a listener myself, but I opened up http://bbc.com/radio in the N95 browser, chose to listen to the BBC World Service, and whilst it didn't load in the browser (complaining there wasn't a Real browser plugin present), it gave me the option to load in an external player, which after a quick buffer started playing the stream - Crystal clear over WiFi or 3G.

I then hit options while it was playing, and chose to "Save Stream" and now in the Gallery Applications, in "Streaming Links" I have "World Service Live News" which loads it in Real Player straight away. I then went back to the browser and saved multiple streams from the different radio shows and now I have direct click access via the Gallery.

Not bad actually!

Regards,
Shane.

CoeurdeLyon
27th April 2007, 09:02 PM
That's great. Maybe not so far off from being able to listen to the cricket or football whilst commuting on the train instead of being stuck with FM stations. Also maybe ABC radio like Radio National or 774!!!

Now just got to save up ;-)

Thanks,
Richard

smilne360
2nd May 2007, 10:23 AM
its awesome

has anyone got it syncing with ical?