PDA

View Full Version : G4 AGP Tower - Audio Problem

blackandblue
21st April 2007, 07:31 AM
Hi people, i bought a new (to me) G4 tower to make another quicktooth, however ive hit a problem that has me stumped.
The audio is playing up, it works for system alerts, with either the internal speaker or using the headphone jack, but any media i try and play it does nothing. Quicktime plays the video part of a movie ok, but no audio. VLC plays the video part but no audio too, however a touch more helpfully it gives an error about not being able to find the appropriate audio filter, so i thought maybe codec issues, but after trying mp3's, xvids, dvd's and mov's , in a variety of apps, nothing will play with audio.

What confuses me is that the audio works fine for system alerts, just nothing else?
Ive checked the sys preferences and the midi control panel, all looks hunky dory.
Its a Sawtooth AGP 450mhz, 1gig ram, running 10.4.9 with all the appropriate updates, brand spanking clean install.

Any of you lot know whats going on?

Thanks

kaisersozay
21st April 2007, 07:43 AM
Logic would say that the audio output of your CD/DVD player may not be completely home.
Try opening up and making certain all cables are seated firmly.
As you have another unit, you could swap a known working unit to check for certain.
Just a thought before tinkering with any commands etc.
Good luck.

Edge
21st April 2007, 11:57 AM
I'd try a USB audio dongle.

Also try opening the Audio MIDI Setup app, and playing around with that. People in the past have reported strange audio issues being resolved (at least temporarily) by futzing with that.

blackandblue
21st April 2007, 03:43 PM
ta for the input, ill give it another bash.

the comment about swapping known good parts made me remember ive got another working 100% mobo sitting in the cupboard gathering dust. it may be time to get out the screwdriver....

Jimbo
21st April 2007, 05:30 PM
can i quickly ask waht is a quicktooth?

kaisersozay
21st April 2007, 05:35 PM
blackandblue... you did open Sound and select the Output?
My External Audio works when set to headset .... see ...

blackandblue
21st April 2007, 06:00 PM
@Edge - Yeah ive tried playing with Audio MIDI Setup, doesnt seem to do anything, and there isnt really any options to change either with the stock audio card. It looks like a Usb dongle might be my only choice.

@jimbo - see here --> http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=6915&highlight=quicktooth

My first one is still going strong, never did the overclock on it that i talked about in that thread, but im building this one to use as a media center for my bed. yeah its a dangerous step into never getting out of bed, but im working graveyard shifts and im sick of falling asleep watching videos in bed and waking up with my face or back mashed into my laptop, and im scared of breaking it to be honest. going to plonk this under the bed, have an lcd of a wall arm and run a wireless keyboard and mouse.

@kaisersozay - yeah ive tried that one, it only lists Headphones Built in Audio as an option.

kim jong il
21st April 2007, 06:09 PM
can i quickly ask waht is a quicktooth?

Google might have been your friend but as it is you so will I. ;) A Quicktooth is generally considered a Sawtooth case and MB with a Quicksilver CPU. In the days when things were more expensive it was considered a nice upgrade. Still is for a low end G4. :)