PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and multiple iPod users

tania2412
10th January 2005, 03:55 PM
When my husband gets an iPod, if sync is enabled doesn't that mean that whatever has been added to iTunes since the last sync on either ipod will be added to the next ipod that gets plugged in? In which case my iPod would end up with a heap of Australian Idol `music' on it. Same deal anytime he plays an mp3, it gets added to the library on the PC and then added to my ipod the minute I plug it in. Are there ways around both these problems or should I just sit tight for new versions of iTunes?

zefi
10th January 2005, 04:04 PM
Not you don't have to wait for a new version of iTunes. Just make sure that you change your settings from Automatic Synchronisation of your iTunes library to Manual. That way you can pick and choose what you want to have included on your iPod.

The easiest way is to create a Playlist with the music you want, and then ask iTunes to only auto-update that playlist only.

macmate
10th January 2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tania2412@Jan 10 2005, 03:55 PM
When my husband gets an iPod, if sync is enabled doesn't that mean that whatever has been added to iTunes since the last sync on either ipod will be added to the next ipod that gets plugged in? In which case my iPod would end up with a heap of Australian Idol `music' on it. Same deal anytime he plays an mp3, it gets added to the library on the PC and then added to my ipod the minute I plug it in. Are there ways around both these problems or should I just sit tight for new versions of iTunes?
turn auto update off and create playlists for your own music and manually update those playlists to your ipod.

"beat me by this much" - i hate when that happens

tempestas
10th January 2005, 04:38 PM
Of course if you were using a Mac, I'd suggest have two different user accounts and move your iTunes music folder into shared. Works like a charm for me and my wife.

Not sure how multiple users works in Windows though.

I agree that the not automatic syncing is a workable option.

Exocet
10th January 2005, 04:53 PM
In windows multiple users have different iTunes libraries.

zefi
10th January 2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Jan 10 2005, 04:04 PM
turn auto update off and create playlists for your own music and manually update those playlists to your ipod.

"beat me by this much" - i hate when that happens
Hehe.

Sorry macmate :)