PDA

View Full Version : 3G or GSM or both...not sure?

speedway boy
18th April 2007, 08:05 AM
Hiya,
hoping one of you guru's out there could give me some advice.

I have a new nokia e65. But battery life kinda sucks. I've turned off bluetooth and wifi. But I heard that if I choose GSM rather than 3g that would help too.

So in the settings there is a choice between Duel and GSM. Should I just go with GSM?

What does that mean for functionality in the phone? What would that restrict me doing? And would it save battery power?

Thanks fellas!

scruffie
18th April 2007, 09:29 AM
Hey I gotta e65 too!
Essentially when you stick it to GSM you will lose video calling functionality and anything that's data based like wap, internet, picture msg etc would be heaps slower.

Depends on what you need your phone for. I dont use video calling or anything fancy so i just leave it on GSM.

speedway boy
18th April 2007, 09:38 AM
so you can still use vodaphone live! service (wap) but it would just be slowerer is that right?

Yeah, it seems a good phone. Got all the things I need as a work phone. But the battery life is a bit of a shocker!

mechcon
18th April 2007, 09:40 AM
And now this thread will turn into an iphone-related one :P

msilsby
18th April 2007, 09:52 AM
Also, try turning down the brightness of the display. Such a big display sucks heaps of juice from the battery. Turning it down, and setting it to go off after a few seconds of inactivity saves heaps of power.

scruffie
18th April 2007, 10:16 AM
Yup its just a bit slower.
Oh yes remember to turn off wi-fi.

Edit: sorry forgot that you already turned off wifi