PDA

View Full Version : What would a real iPod Killer need?

Danamania
9th January 2005, 06:27 PM
The last year or so has been as big as ever for portable music players, and there's not much that shows the iPod's dominance is the naming of many of these as "iPod Killers" on their first release. If so many companies are still looking to beat the iPod, then it means the iPod is still pulling everyone along after it. Sometimes in raw features & use, other times in nothing but popularity. After all there are devices that are cheaper than iPods and with more in the way of features, battery life & drive space. None have the iPod's interface or iTMS however, or its reputation & style.

(Define good style however you like, but the iPod has -a- style & one that's popular & working for it right now).

So with the iPod going as well as it ever should, what do you see that a real iPod Killer would need? Would a machine the iPods size, 40GB drive, similar looks and interface but with the ability to play back videos be all it takes to sway you? And even if it did sway you do you think it'd be enough to move the whole market away from the iPod?

Video is only one part of the equation. Maybe a device that does most of what an iPod does but can run for 30 hours would do it. Maybe a better music store, or maybe a different marketable design to the iPod - throw your opinions here :)

dana

Disko
9th January 2005, 06:30 PM
Apple branding. :)

Paxton
9th January 2005, 06:37 PM
Quality. I have used the Creative Nomad, and held a Dell Dj, and can say that both of the players have a very 'rough and ready' complex. The iPod has that Apple quality that we are all accustomed to. I can see my 20gig 3rdgen iPod still going like my Lc575 is (it is 11 in November) and hasn't missed a beat, unlike my Dull, which died today…

the_OM
9th January 2005, 06:40 PM
I would say one of the major aspects would be a program equivalent to itunes that provides easy integration.

iSlayer
9th January 2005, 06:46 PM
to be designed by apple
or for jonothon ive to have a huge fight with steve and start his own company

Paxton
9th January 2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Jan 9 2005, 06:46 PM
to be designed by apple
or for jonothon ive to have a huge fight with steve and start his own company
Neither of which will ever happen *crosses fingers and looks at his Dell Laptop*

Edit: Fixed one of islayer's spelling errors.

Arkhum_Eramak
9th January 2005, 06:58 PM
It'd definately need the interface and the iTunes-alike, but I feel the design aesthetic is a really big part. It is shiny. And people like shiny. It looks simple. The Creative Zen Jukebox doesn't look simple. I'm a tech head and I was intimidated by its interface. I should be able to haver a general idea of how to operate it from a glance. You just don't get that with other players.

9th January 2005, 06:59 PM
It will need/need to be:
*Good video capablilty with clear, colour LCD screen
*Size of Ipod Mini (with bigger screen)
*At least 60gig HD
*Support higher quality file formats (audio and video)
*At least 20hours battery life

All this and the iPod will be long dead :D

iSlayer
9th January 2005, 07:03 PM
dude your dreaming.
you cant get 60gb drive that would fit in a ipod mini case.
and video defintaly wont happen in a device that small

king89
9th January 2005, 07:12 PM
The one thing that would sway me away from my iPod is maybe FM radio.
But the iPod killer must have a simple interface to use (not drag and drop iRiver), fully integrated into my music collection on my computer (iTunes) and ease of use (I want to be able to press one button and have music play through my headphones.

Arkhum_Eramak
9th January 2005, 07:28 PM
You can get video on PDAs and that's fine enough, so iPod Mini Video is possible, though probably not in my lifetime. iPod killer need heavy marketing and a catchy name. Not HD-1 or whatever sony called theirs. (I don't like Sony by the way)

iSlayer
9th January 2005, 07:30 PM
youre right but the video is so low quality its almost not worth having.
apple have talked about why they wont make a video ipod and they have very good reasons.

Moose
9th January 2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Jan 9 2005, 08:03 PM
dude your dreaming.
Circa 1973:-

"Dude you are dreaming, You can't get a stand alone computor with 64mb to fit in one room..."
"And you won't get a computer with a colour screen......."

I'm not sure who I am quoting, but I bet some guy was dictating that to his secretary as she was taking shorthand! :P

EDIT: I'm not sure if that same guy in the seventies would have said 'dude' though........ :blink:

9th January 2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Jan 9 2005, 07:03 PM
dude your dreaming.
think about the technology even just 2-3 years ago..

downsys
9th January 2005, 08:17 PM
Dana mentioned something that could do what the iPod does, but with a 30 hour battery life. well, the Sony Hw-1 (or whatever) does that. looks sexy (albeit impossible controls) but hey, &#39;It&#39;s A Sony&#39; <_<

jarrodb
9th January 2005, 11:06 PM
The killer features of the iPod are:

- iTunes + database management of songs, is easy to use and sync
- Great design and identity with the white earphones that people want to wear
- Big hard drives that can be used in disk mode
- Simple user interface on the iPod itself

The other players out there can&#39;t bring the whole package together like the ipod does. Often the most important feature is how the specs mesh together, that gives the user the "gee I like using this thing" feel.

A nifty addition though would be a video decoder so you could play back your mpeg2/4 on a TV.

Rayd
10th January 2005, 01:46 AM
all it needs is to look good and be easy to use.. and it will beat the iPod... too bad the iPod already has covered all those aspects... well there is one thing it is missing.. a decent battery option.. not a battery that lasts only 500 recharge cycles. :(

suryo
10th January 2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Jan 10 2005, 01:46 AM
there is one thing it is missing.. a decent battery option.. not a battery that lasts only 500 recharge cycles. :(
If you know of a battery that lasts for more than 500 full charge cycles (or 1000 half charge cycles) and doesn&#39;t add a kilo to the weight of an ipod, then please enlighten us&#33; Keep in mind that the iPod&#39;s battery should be capable of surviving 4-6 hours of use every day for 3 years. After such time you can replace the battery yourself for heaps less than Apple charge for it.

iSlayer
10th January 2005, 07:45 AM
think of it this way.
you can buy a replaement ipod battery for around &#036;100
over a 1 year period you would probably use 50 sets of cheapo AA batteries that would costs you &#036;100.

Doesnt sound so bad now does it.

yinyang
10th January 2005, 10:54 AM
if you remember the sony walkman and how the &#39;walkman&#39; just became the generic term for anything that was a portable cassette player, then maybe the iPod has now reached that status...&#33; regardless as to who manufactures it, many people now call any DAP an iPod, and if it&#39;s not by accident or out of ignorance, then maybe they actually wanted the iPod instead :)

so i think if something was really to be an iPod killer, it would need a HUGE advertising budget - get it into the oscar showbags, into the hands of olympic athletes, tv programs, have tech commentators constantly writing about it, have numerous websites across the world devoted to it...&#33;

i don&#39;t think the tech is now the most important aspect anymore since there is now a huge &#39;ecosystem&#39; built around the iPod that is almost self sufficient and will drive apple to constantly improve it, albeit very slowly&#33;

my tuppence worth :P