PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price and a good machine?

Jimbo
11th March 2004, 11:19 AM
the powermac g4 is a 533mhz (digital audio?) got
Cd/RW drive*
256mb Ram
Zip drive
80gb hdd
os 9.1

He offered it with a DVD-RAM drive for no extra cost? is this a superdrive can it burn cds?

Can anyone help out with the DVD-RAM drive?

he offered $950 whaddayareckon?

the_argon
11th March 2004, 02:35 PM
If the DVD-RAM is an Apple spec one (pioneer A05's i think they were) then it is a superdrive and it can burn cd's

If it's not a standard apple drive then it's possible that it may not, but very improbable. Can you get the make/model?

Overall it sounds like a reasonable deal, if you get the DVD-RAM with it.

mhollis
11th March 2004, 03:03 PM
Sounds like that's an external DVD-RAM and that the internal drive is the CD/RW. If you purchase Toast, you can use the drive (assuming it is supported by Toast) but Apple's Finder and iDVD won't work with it if it is external.

Apple is supporting more internal DVD writers these days than the Pioneer A05, but one must be very careful if one doesn't want to have to use Toast for everything.

There is Some evidence (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2003102506540587) that, if you install a third-party DVD burner that you can get it to work with Apple's utilities and Finder.

Currawong
12th March 2004, 05:19 PM
Just grab a Pioneer DVR-106 - it's the same model as in some Macs, is common-as and now very inexpensive.

alexc
13th March 2004, 07:08 PM
This explains the Apple DVD-RAM drive:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58276

And Iv'e seen external ones too.

I dont think you can write DVD movies to them. I'm not really sure. But they are not a 'SuperDrive'.

They are not really worth much I'd say.

I reckon its an OK-ish price for the G4. But I think you can do better.

I'd be wanting a dual 500 for that money at least. :)

alex.

Jimbo
19th March 2004, 08:51 AM
well it arrived last night YAY! :) umm the DVD-RAM drive appears to only be able to write to DVD-RAM discs in a cartridge? i have never heard of these discs so yeah. When i get some more money i'll throw a pioneer A06 in my MDD and put its combo drive in the DA G4, i'll tell you one thing though, for a 533 with 256mb ram it flies! i could'nt believe it, nothing i threw at it last night could make it go slow... although i havn't installed photoshop or final cut pro yet so... :)

If anyones loking to buy one of these i strongly reccommend it. Its got a 133mhz bus speed too, which prolly helps things a long.

Jim

Jimbo
19th March 2004, 08:52 AM
btw i beat him to 850 for it
:) not much of a discount but it helps the wallets anorexia

Gothikon
19th March 2004, 07:22 PM
Not a bad deal on the G4! The DVD-RAM drive was the precurser to the superdrive and yes, it burn DVD's in cartrdges and isn't very useful except for back up, they go for very little on eBay, however you already got the CD burner and you didn't have to pay an extra for it so I wouldn't be too worried.