PDA

View Full Version : No sound.......argh!

BlueBucket
10th April 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

The answer to this problem is probably staring me in the face, but I can't figure it out so help!

The last couple of days my computer has given ut no sound other than the the restart "dong" noise when the computer starts up....hence I know my speakers are working.

I'm using a Rev A intel iMac with 10.4.9 plus I am running the latest build of Parallels, with previous builds causing a similar problems before....system wide no sound.

Any ideas for this late night puzzler? Watching trailers without sound ain't that interesting......

Thanks in advance.

BlueBucket

stefanlod
10th April 2007, 11:28 PM
Does sound come out of iTunes and system alerts?

AusMac
10th April 2007, 11:29 PM
Looked in your system preferences for sound control panel?

Check to see if the sound is set up the correct way in output.
If that is OK .. are you sure you didn't hit the mute key?

I can't comment on Parallels as I won't install Windows on any of my computers.

stefanlod
10th April 2007, 11:33 PM
If that is OK .. are you sure you didn't hit the mute key?

If he hit the mute key, the chime wouldn't sound.

f1_power
10th April 2007, 11:46 PM
Check to see if your optical light is stuck "on" (ie Glowing Red from Audio Port) - I've seen a few lately that get stuck on.

If this is the case i think you will require the Mac to be serviced by an Apple Technician.

Featfan
11th April 2007, 07:31 AM
Any ideas for this late night puzzler?

Try Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup/Audio Devices and check or reset the settings. This has happened when new apps are added.

Goodbye
11th April 2007, 08:01 AM
Following on from what Featfan said. Go into Audio Midi Setup > Audio Devices and under "Audio Output" ensure that "Format" is set to 44100.0 Hz.

Some apps have been known to change this which means that no sound would be heard.

BlueBucket
11th April 2007, 08:14 AM
Late night puzzler is solved!

Helps if one looks at the back of his iMac and sees that his brother has put a 3.5 mm jack running to the stereo speakers into it the output....and left it in there. Hence no sound!

Occam's Razor: The simplest solution is usually the right one

Blue Bucket