PDA

View Full Version : car insurance?

denis9
6th April 2007, 07:42 PM
Hi there,

There was a post not long ago about car insurance companies (lowest quote/ good service etc). I tried to search it using the forum search but it is not working for me... anyone can help me out?

Most probably I am changing my insurance comapny to third party now. My car is old (13 years) and it is a Holden Barina (poor uni student :( ). I am 23 this year, have not made any claims and no police offences yet (touch wood :))

So if anyone can advice me if I am making a good choice, any insurance companies they can recommend etc

I live in Perth, WA.

Thanks in advance for your input

Have a good easter :)

Goodbye
6th April 2007, 08:48 PM
I have seen the Budget Direct (http://www.budgetdirect.com.au) ads on TV quite a bit and I just went through and got an online quote from them and it seems pretty reasonable. (I am 23 too, and under the same circumstances as you).

I don't really know too much about insurance, but have decided I should probably invest in it.

Comprehensive = they pay for any damage on my car or someone elses
Third Party = they pay for damage to the other person

Is this right?

Edit: I just went to a couple of other sites for a quote, and it seems AAMI is cheapest, beating Budget Direct by over $100!

denis9
7th April 2007, 01:18 AM
Yes Goodbye you are right about the comprehensive and third party terms.

I just took a look at AAMI website but the online quote seemed to be down. I will check later.

By the way do you speak french or are you from France? "Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre... = making the sky the most beautiful place on earth..."

Goodbye
7th April 2007, 07:20 AM
I speak a little French (want to learn more though, sick of being able to speak only English!), but my main hobby is airlines (hence my avatar). Collecting souvenirs, flying, model making, and Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre is Air France's slogan in French :)

xilefa
7th April 2007, 08:53 AM
Yes Goodbye you are right about the comprehensive and third party terms.

I just took a look at AAMI website but the online quote seemed to be down. I will check later.

By the way do you speak french or are you from France? "Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre... = making the sky the most beautiful place on earth..."

Have been with AAMI for many years, not expensive and very good service.

Goodbye
13th April 2007, 05:32 PM
Can anyone recommend which I should go for?

Comprehensive or just Third Party fire + theft.

Problem with Comprehensive is that I have to pay the first $400 of any repairs done anyway. Anyone with any pointers?

natakim
13th April 2007, 05:34 PM
what's your car worth?

if not much more than a grand then perhaps not really worth comp. but say $10 000 is a lot to lose if you crash it!

denis9
13th April 2007, 05:54 PM
I just took a third party insurace without fire and theft from RAC. It was cheaper than Western QBE, HBF and AAMI

Goodbye it really depends what is your car worth like natakim told you. If I took comprehesive for my car, it would have cost about $ 700 which is not worth compared to the purchase price of my car which was AUD$ 1,800.

Hope it helps :)

smilne360
13th April 2007, 05:56 PM
just car insurance is good. they are aami's "cheap"/"noone else will insure you" group..

kim jong il
13th April 2007, 06:13 PM
Hi there,

There was a post not long ago about car insurance companies (lowest quote/ good service etc). I tried to search it using the forum search but it is not working for me... anyone can help me out?...

This was the thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=27585&highlight=insurance) I'm guessing but from reading it it didn't hurt to ask again. :)

Goodbye
13th April 2007, 06:53 PM
Well my car is currently worth around $6000, I plan on keeping it for a while, so maybe comprehensive is the way to go.

designers_hub
13th April 2007, 07:03 PM
yeah the car has had its time, i wouldn't get comprehensive.

also look at flex-preimium which can save you thousands in 3+ years. you only really use comprehensive to make a claim if the car has been destroyed etc. small stuff is never worth making a claim.

i was quoted $2,000 per year comprehensive from AAMI. so over 3 years (typical life of a lease car) it would be $6,000 paid over 3 years. but with the highest flex-preimium plan i would only pay $1,300 per year ($3,900, you save $2,100).

the catch is if you make a claim, you have to pay $500 (standard) + $1,500 (excess) = $2,000
instead of the normal $500 (standard) + $0 (excess) = $500

for me i don't like paying comprehensive since its only good IF you have a car crash, theft or fire etc. you'd never claim things like broken windows etc since you can get it serviced for less than $500.

i'd rather pay less per year and more on the excess, then more per year and less on the excess. because if you don't have a crash, you save, and if you do, you still save.

flex excess works out the same as normal comprehensice IF you make a claim. But if you don't as i said you can save thousand. so you pretty much have nothing to loose.