View Full Version : Quick Photoshop question

5th April 2007, 12:18 AM
Ok, I've got a quick photoshop question to ask...

I'm trying to follow some instructions for a Photoshop course I'm taking, but one step has me stumped:

Ctrl + Click on the 'frame_bottom' layer in the Layers palatte and select the Gradient Tool from the toolbox. Click-drag the gradient tool in the opposite direction to the original fill that you created in step 3.

The lighter colour should be on the outside edge of the frame in order to create a more 3 dimensional effect.

The rest of the instructions give key commands for both Mac and PC, but whatever I do, I can't figure out how to do this step. When I CTRL click the layer in the layer palatte, a menu comes up, but I can't find anything to do with gradients.

Is there some key equivilent I should be using? Or am I just really dumb tonight, and it's right in front of me? :confused:

5th April 2007, 12:30 AM
Seems like they might mean "command-click on the layer thumbnail", which will make a selection of the contents of the layer... stopping the gradient from drawing on the non-transparent parts of the layer.

That's actually not the best way to do it btw. I'd use the "Lock Transparent Pixels" button on the top of the layers palette (it's underneath the layer blending mode menu).

5th April 2007, 12:53 AM
marc, you're a legend. :D

I knew it would be kinda simple for someone who knows what they're doing. :thumbup:

5th April 2007, 01:08 AM
No probs :)