PDA

View Full Version : PCI Airport Extreme

larfinboy
4th August 2004, 06:20 PM
I've been doing some research on PCI cards on Macs and it turns out that most Broadcom based PCI 802.11g cards are supported natively by the Airport Extreme 3.1 driver, or later.
The cards available commonly in Oz using the Broadcom chip are:
Linksys WMP54G
Belkin F5D7000
Minitar MN54GPL

I was interested if anyone has used one of these cards in a PowerMac.

Byrd
4th August 2004, 07:37 PM
Hi larfinboy,

I've been thinking the same thing for my B&W G3, but only just came across these posts from XLR8here (http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000402.html) and here. (http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000307.html)

Seems that generic Broadcom 802.11b/g cards do indeed work under Airport software, but obviously we're not sure which ones specifically do, such as the ones you've listed.

So I've got the Minitar MN54GPC card here I haven't installed into my PC yet, will try and let you know.

JB

Byrd
4th August 2004, 10:28 PM
Alright ... I can confirm this Minitar card works, as I'm using it right now in my B&W G3 running 10.3.3. Cool, will have to get another for my PC now!

JB

larfinboy
5th August 2004, 10:39 AM
Good work bYrd.
I spoke to PC Range, since they are in Adelaide and they are the distributor for Minitar. They don't have any in stock and don't expect to get any for the next 3 weeks.
The local OfficeWorks normally have the Belkin cards but don't have any in stock.

I'm in two minds about getting the same card or getting a different card to we can verify another brand.
The cheapest card for me is a Belkin through a mate at wholesale prices.

pipsqeek
5th August 2004, 10:43 AM
I have a WPM54G in my Shuttle X PC. It was put in there for the sake of learning to configure it with Linux.

If the info above it correct, the it should work in my G4 450!!!

I will let you guys know when it happens (or does)

Steve

larfinboy
5th August 2004, 11:18 AM
pipsqeek if you can confirm that the Linksys card works, then I probably will get a Belkin and that will cover off all the readily available cards in Oz.

Byrd
5th August 2004, 01:19 PM
Just chuck it in your Mac Steve, if you get an Airport icon on your menu bar, and it comes up with a 'new card detected' message, you're pretty much good to go.

This is really great news - considering that Airport Extreme PCI cards are hard to get, let alone at a reasonable price.

JB

larfinboy
5th August 2004, 09:35 PM
Well I've just got back from Harvey Norman's with a Belkin F5D7000au 11G PCI card after parting with $79.95.

It turns out the card is a 3.3V PCI card and will go into the G5.

Hell, I can't wait to head down to my parents place tomorrow night, it's going into the G5 'Right Now!!' :P

So I'm now typing this over the Airport Extreme connection.
The Belkin gets a green light.

So if pipsqeek gets a chance to do the Linksys and it works, all the card seem to be a good option for older PCI Macs or the G5 user on a budget !?!@!? (If such a thing exists)

Jimbo
6th August 2004, 02:40 PM
do these work in G4? with 64 bit pci slots? (the long MDD pci slots, like pci-X or something)

pipsqeek
6th August 2004, 05:38 PM
I am happy to inform you guys that the LinkSys WMP54G works.

Although I did notice that the reception is erratic and not that great. I feel this is more to do with the card or the antenna on it. When I fitted an Airport card to it when the iBook was in hospital, the reception was fine. 100% all the time.

The distance to the WAP is about 8 meters, through one wall.

My iBook with the airport card had better reception 50 meters away in a steel shed. through 2 walls also.

But never the less. It works fine, there are no dropouts, and Its 54g.

Thanks for the idea.

Steve

larfinboy
8th August 2004, 12:07 PM
Jimbo, I had the Belkin card working in a G5 which has a 100Mhz PCI-X slot.
So if it works in this it should work in anything slower.

The card is destined for my G4/400 at my parents, so I'll post again once I have confirmed it works. B)

josh64
17th August 2004, 01:54 AM
I'm interested in getting one for my MDD.

Does anyone know how mac os x deals with two airport cards?
I currently have the original airport in my MDD and want to use internet connection sharing between the original airport and the PCI 802.11G card.

Cheers,

Josh.

larfinboy
17th August 2004, 04:21 PM
I can't comment from experience, since this entire exercise started because I was having problems getting an original Airport card for my G4.

I can say that the drivers for Airport and Aiport Extreme (the PCI 11g card) will be different as they are for different wireless chips.

If you're in Adelaide I might be able to help you out with a card for testing.

josh64
19th August 2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by larfinboy@Aug 17 2004, 04:21 PM
If you're in Adelaide I might be able to help you out with a card for testing.
Thanks for the offer but I'm in Perth...

If I come across a cheap linksys card or something I'll pick it up and report back here in case someone else is in a similar situation.

- Josh

Byrd
23rd August 2004, 08:45 PM
Pinned this one as well = another cheap idea from Appletalk :)

pipsqeek
30th August 2004, 10:41 AM
After 3 weeks usage (the G4 tower was left on while I was enjoying the Pacific Islands, still works.

Steve

MightyAtom
13th September 2004, 11:43 AM
Just a heads up for people.

I was just looking at PC range and the Minitar MN54GPC has been replaced by the MN54GPC-R which uses a Ralink chipset instead of Broadcom. I'm guessing this card is no longer natively supported.

Anyone want to buy one and try it out?

pipsqeek
28th October 2004, 12:58 PM
I'll buy it!!

And I will also accept donations...to fund the project :)

pipsqeek

titan44
30th October 2004, 02:11 PM
Just notching one up for the linksys wmp54g, just poped it now and is working without a hitch. Just to note that there is a varient of this model ( it's a bit more expensive, but uses the 'Power of windows" LOL, for a bit more speed ). I don't know if it's been tested on a g5, but i'll test it on my PM when i FINALLY get it ( next week hopefully ).

MightyAtom
30th October 2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek+Oct 28 2004, 12:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pipsqeek &#064; Oct 28 2004, 12:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I&#39;ll buy it&#33;&#33;

And I will also accept donations...to fund the project :)[/b]
I&#39;d love to but unfortunately I&#39;ll be funding my own experiment in the coming weeks.

<!--QuoteBegin-titan44@Oct 30 2004, 02:11 PM
Just notching one up for the linksys wmp54g, just poped it now and is working without a hitch.[/quote]
A quick warning, a new version of the WMP54G has been released which uses a different chipset and isn&#39;t Airport compatible.

It&#39;s apparently the v4 WMP54G which is a low profile PCI card, the old one is the v2 which is a full sized PCI card. Can anyone with the WMP54G confirm whether the version is listed on the retail box?

titan44
31st October 2004, 07:21 AM
I just had a look at the box for my wmp54g, could&#39;nt see a board revision/version or anything on the box. But if you refering to the newer model that i saw it does have a extra letter on the box to id it ( i.e wmp54g*, i accidently nearly bought it ). From my experience to linksys were the easiest to find, so if anyone plans on getting one i&#39;d get one now while the older wmp54g are still to be found.

the_argon
31st October 2004, 10:00 AM
I just put an order in for a WMP54G.

Hopefully it&#39;s the broadcom chipset but we&#39;ll see...

MightyAtom
31st October 2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Oct 31 2004, 10:00 AM
I just put an order in for a WMP54G.

Hopefully it&#39;s the broadcom chipset but we&#39;ll see...
Where are you buying from?

If they send you the right version I might order myself one this week.

Currawong
31st October 2004, 07:28 PM
What I&#39;m now interested in is getting now is a PCMCIA wireless card for my Powerbook, as I have an original Albook, which isn&#39;t so great reception-wise with the built-in Airport. Anyone know what chipset is compatible?

MightyAtom
31st October 2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Oct 31 2004, 07:28 PM
Anyone know what chipset is compatible?
It would have to be a Broadcom chipset also, such as the Linksys WPC54G. Check out this page on xlr8yourmac (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/PCcard_airport_extreme_tip.html) for info on how to get it working. I&#39;m not sure what other PCMCIA cards use Broadcom chipsets, I found a website listing all current models but have since lost itů If I find it again I&#39;ll post a link.

the_argon
1st November 2004, 12:45 AM
I purchased mine from warcom (http://www.warcom.com.au)

I asked specifically for a Broadcom card so we&#39;ll see what happens...

pipsqeek
3rd November 2004, 09:37 AM
I have been using this linksys now for a while, and still no issues. So I guess with the G4 450&#39;s uptime of 47 days with the WMP54g card, I guess I can say its reliable.

But, the card will be placed back into my Shuttle X PC, as I will be getting a replacement iBook from Apple (read the sig) and this new iBook will have Air Ex built in, I will have an Airport card laying around doing nothing.

So, I might sell it, or I will more then likely stick it in the G4 450 and use the Linksys back in the PC.

Interesting to know if the PCMCIA cards work, great to hear from someone who gets it happening.

My goal now is to get the Linksys working in Linux...I am not savvy with Linux, so this will be a task.

the_argon
20th November 2004, 01:15 AM
Just a bit of an update... I have the card and it works perfectly, but.

Not sure if it&#39;s due to the WMP54G card or not, but my g4 seems to crash on waking from sleep.

Did/do you have the same problem pip?

I have reinstalled panther since but it&#39;s still doing it :(

icant
20th November 2004, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

I&#39;m always a little wary about using any 3rd party PCI cards in a PowerMac. In the past I used to use a TV tuner, which was superb to start with. And then started to flake out with new operating system releases. That was back in the OS 8/9 days though. I also started to become aware of issues that some people were having with "sleep" vs "deep sleep". Or "sleep, and never waking up". On the other hand, a flshed PC Voodoo 2 card worked for me 100%. While horror stories of expensive SCSI cards not working with Mac OS X have turned me right off.

I&#39;d be especially worried about using a 3rd party wireless PCI card, since you never know when new releases of Apple Airport software or system software will inexplicably stop working with these cards. And I don&#39;t think I&#39;d have much luck getting support from Apple or the PCI card manufacturer in such a case.

Personally, I would rather use a ethernet bridge. I used a Asus WL-330 with my Macintosh for a while, before moving it to my XBox. I was worried about using yet another power point on the wall, but it turned out the bridge could be powered by a USB port. The WL-330 is 802.11b only, and cost me a A&#036;58. The 54g (a.k.a. 802.11g) version; called the WL-330g is about A&#036;160.

Worked well on my Macintosh (PowerBook G4 15" Aluminium 1.25GHz), and works well with XBox Live too. As a bridge it works seamlessly. The attached machine "thinks" that it is attached via Ethernet to the router. There is a hardware switch on the WL-330 that converts it to an access point. A firmware update has added (I think) WPA support as well. Online reviews were a mixed bag. But I was confident enough that I need rely on the manual, and range wasn&#39;t a big issue for me.

The WL-330 is currently behind my XBox on the floor, 7.5m away (I measured) from a Netgear 834G with a veneer wall in between. The Netgear has the usual security: SSID broadcasting off, MAC filtering and a WEP password (cos of other non-compliant wireless hardware).

Anyway, just my thoughts. If my parents/family members ask me for some wireless solution for their 1st generation iMac, or any network printer, I would definitely go for the WL-330 again.

pipsqeek
21st November 2004, 10:14 AM
My machine has not "flaked" out.

Its been solid the entire time.

There are no sleep issues. and I usually put it to sleep rather then shut it down. unless there is a thunderstorm predicted.

pipsqeek

fokker
6th January 2005, 04:30 PM
I&#39;m trying to make my studio wireless. I have the Airport Extreme and 1 G4 with a Airport card. :) success here.

However there&#39;s still copious amounts of ethernet cable on the floor thanks to an older G4 (quicksilver 933MHz) and a PC which will soon be sorted with a &#036;65 wireless network card.

Unfortunately the older G4s must have an different Airport card costing &#036;200.
Is there a PC wireless card that will work in it&#39;s place. I need a cheaper alternative.

the_OM
6th January 2005, 04:44 PM
I don&#39;t think so.
The old wireless cards, simply called Airport, have been discontinued by Apple. So that why the price is so high on them. However, there were a couple selling in the trading forums here, and you can pick them up off of ebay for around &#036;100 to &#036;150.

Because they are no longer made, and people still want them the prices are rising pretty steadily.

jy6
6th January 2005, 04:51 PM
Depending on which version of OSX you are using (or if you are using OSX at all) you can buy USB wireless adaptors that work with Macs, but I really recommend it as a last resort.

titan44
6th January 2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah you can fokker .

I&#39;ve got one running in my powermac g4, and has been for a few months now, a few other members are as well, there&#39;s a forum thread on it along with the working models ( mines a Linksys wmp54G, works withourt a hitch with the apple base station too. Have a search for the thread.

iSlayer
6th January 2005, 05:19 PM
any card that uses a broadcom chip will work.
belkins work very well and are cheap.i use a belkin pci and a belking pcmcia

Edge
6th January 2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Jan 6 2005, 05:19 PM
any card that uses a broadcom chip will work.
belkins work very well and are cheap.i use a belkin pci and a belking pcmcia
Check http://xlr8yourmac.com for more details.

pipsqeek
6th January 2005, 08:14 PM
Read this:

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...=1156&hl=WMP54G (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=1156&hl=WMP54G)

pipsqeek

Currawong
7th January 2005, 07:15 AM
I&#39;ve pinned that thread to the top of the hardware forum for everyone&#39;s benefit :)

I&#39;ll probably merge this topic with the pinned one in a day or two (to give people a chance to read it who were already).

fokker
7th January 2005, 05:58 PM
thanks you to everyone who made a post.

Appletalk rocks&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

:D

MightyAtom
18th January 2005, 12:38 PM
<span style=\'font-family:Impact\'>Warning&#33;</span></span>

The Belkin F5D7000au is no longer AirPort Extreme compatible.

I just bought one today it&#39;s a "version 3000au" which is written on the side of the box, on the box it shows a low profile PCI card with the PCB covered by a shield. I couldn&#39;t tell what chipset it used so I installed the Ralink drivers which detected the card but are an absolute bitch to configure so I&#39;ve pulled the card. Not an absolute waste, I need a wireless card for my PC.

So lets do a round up:

Minitar MN54GPL(-R) - Now uses Ralink chipset NOT AirPort Extreme compatible.

Linksys WMP54G - Now uses Ralink chipset NOT AirPort Extreme compatible.

Belkin F5D7000au - Now uses Ralink chipset <span style=\'color:red\'>NOT AirPort Extreme compatible.

Are there any AP compatible PCI cards left? Looks like I&#39;m in the market for an old school AirPort card.

Atomac
18th January 2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MightyAtom@Jan 18 2005, 12:38 PM
Linksys WMP54G - Now uses Ralink chipset NOT AirPort Extreme compatible.
I have one of those in my B&W G3 and it works fine. Unless they have changed the chipset since I got it or I am not sure I understand what you are getting at this card should work.

MightyAtom
18th January 2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Atomac@Jan 18 2005, 01:26 PM
I have one of those in my B&W G3 and it works fine. Unless they have changed the chipset since I got it or I am not sure I understand what you are getting at this card should work.
Read page two of this thread. Linksys switched to the Ralink chipset when they introduced version 4 of the WMP54G. You obviously have an older version of the card.

larfinboy
20th January 2005, 09:52 AM
So the moral of the story is:
Ask the sales person if this card uses the Broadcom chipset. If they say yes and it doesn&#39;t when you get it home you are well within your rights to return it since it unsuitable for the purpose for which it was purchased.

The Broadcom based Belkin card only has the shielding over the radio components and the Broadcom chip is clearly visible.

Try Harvey Norman for a card since they buy a lot of stock and often don&#39;t turn it over very quickly.

Rayd
2nd February 2005, 05:00 PM
i bought the belkin F5D7000au thinking it would work i was a bit weary because it had that metal plate over it but i saw the F5D7000 on it and so i thought it would still work so i got it... shocked that is didnt work... i searched high and low for the answer... i found the Relink drivers... pretty easy to set up and works again ... the bad thing is that the computer dosent see it as a Airport card rather as "PCI slot 3" i have to set all settings in the program that it installs but allas it works&#33; :) i dont know if i should return it and try to find the old F5D7000 any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT: the card is in my Dual 800mhz Powermac, it is sitting in a corner with a whole bunch of cables and stuff, the laptop (iBook G4) gets about 95% if i got into the TV room (7 metres through 2 walls) when i go to the kitchen (15 metres through a TV and 2 walls) i got about 60%, and when i go into my brothers room (25metres away through 5 walls and a TV i got dissconnected is that normal?

Byrd
4th February 2005, 10:10 PM
The signal strength sounds about right, in fact, excellent for the card. As a tip you can increase signal strength by putting an upside down CD over the aerial :)

Where did you get the Ralink drivers?

JB

schmuppet
8th February 2005, 04:58 PM
Anyone know where I could still source one of these cards? Everyone in my local area has newer Ralink based stock.

Rayd
8th February 2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Feb 4 2005, 11:10 PM
Where did you get the Ralink drivers?

JB
here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15999 :)

MightyAtom
13th February 2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by schmuppet@Feb 8 2005, 05:28 PM
Anyone know where I could still source one of these cards? Everyone in my local area has newer Ralink based stock.
I&#39;m currently on holiday in Perth and managed to pick one of the older versions up at Myer. I also saw one available in a Telstra shop, though it was &#036;99. I&#39;d just try hunting around in unlikely places, they&#39;re still available in small quantities.

pipsqeek
21st February 2005, 06:15 PM
I have just decided to post that I&#39;ve been using my new (2nd) 2Ghz Dual G5 with the WRT54G successfully.

I know that the G5 has Airport Extreme capabilities, but it didn&#39;t come with the card, and until I get more money, will not have it. This is doing fine for now.

pipsqeek

Rayd
2nd March 2005, 09:51 PM
hi all, i was just wondering if anyone wanted to swap a Broadcom based Wireless card (PCI) for my Ralink based Belkin wireless card? OR for anything on my list here: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=4789

thanks.

Disko
14th March 2005, 10:34 AM
Someone emailed news@appletalk with reference to this thread:

Saw your thread:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...opic=3482&st=45 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3482&st=45)
and thought I&#39;d share this with you......
Cheers,
Gene

I was reading the forums and bought the Motorola WPC1810G based on
the reports that it was plug and play replacement for an Airport card.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/MS_MN-730_...s.html#storytop (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/MS_MN-730_airportMods.html#storytop)

I have Qwest DSL with the Actiontec GT701-WG. Bought the wireless pci
card at CompUsa after they would pricematch Walmart, US&#036;39.63. Bad news
was that the new wireless pci adapter from Motorola must have changed
chipsets. FCC id ACQWPC1810GV3 would not work.
Went to Walmart and picked up the same Motorola p/n 498467-001-00 and
the same sku # but FCC id ACQWPC1810GV2 and viola, 11 out of 15 for
signal level. Now if I could only add the Hawking Hi-gain antenna I
picked up at CompUsa to the Actiontec.....

ShaneHm2
11th April 2005, 02:59 PM
hey there i know this is a bit of an old thread but does anybody know of any cards still on the market that are pci and are compatible with the airport express driver so it will work on a mac

Rayd
11th April 2005, 03:16 PM
i dont think so, you can try your luck on ebay, thats where i found mine.

ShaneHm2
11th April 2005, 04:21 PM
so ur saying that their isnt any cards that have got some kinda airport comptaible chipset ??

Rayd
11th April 2005, 04:29 PM
nope, they are all Ralink, but you can get drivers for them to work, but you dont get the feeling of having airport with them

ShaneHm2
11th April 2005, 04:32 PM
also with a bit of luck possibly some stores might have the right version of the linksys card as i have used staticice (http://www.staticice.com.au) to search for it

ShaneHm2
11th April 2005, 06:31 PM
im happy to announce that apparently motorola have a card thats compatible with airport Motorola 802.11G PCI cards (WPCI810) (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/MS_MN-730_airportMods.html) available from walmart for US&#036;39.63
except the bummer is they dont ship internationally so im hoping to get someone to ship someover

neilrobinson
9th May 2005, 11:23 PM
sounds interesting - i will talk to spectre on #apple about it, hopefully he might be willing :ph34r: dont quote me on that.

neil

jobe
10th May 2005, 06:24 PM
well THIS is certianly interesting. While the cards listed in the first post have native support in OSX... it would seem there are drivers for cards based on other chipsets.

Firstly RaLink RT2500 based cards (http://ralink.rapla.net/) (all the cards listed on that site). In their Drivers section (http://www.ralink.com.tw/supp-1.htm), they have downloads for macs. What I gather from their pittiful mac forum, is they work... but not under Tiger.

Then there&#39;s This lot (http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html), who claim to have drivers that will work with atheros (superG) chipsets amongst others. I thought it looked too good to be true as i have a few spare DWL-G520 atheros superG cards sitting around here. But they offer a free trial download. So I figure, I&#39;ll format YellowDog off my sawtooth, put osx on, chuck in a card and test their word.

mac_man_luke
10th May 2005, 06:25 PM
I use the belkin&#33; its cool

neilrobinson
9th June 2005, 12:25 AM
APPARENTLY...for anyone interested the belkin 7000AU card works in 10.4 i have found it cheap here... http://www.skycomp.com.au/product_info.php...7e564355ae22bd2 (http://www.skycomp.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=62_110&products_id=1068&osCsid=6f4c8b740f12dba877e564355ae22bd2)

i have my doubts thou

neil

MightyAtom
9th June 2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by neilrobinson@Jun 9 2005, 12:55 AM
APPARENTLY...for anyone interested the belkin 7000AU card works in 10.4
It&#39;ll only work if it&#39;s an early revision card with a Broadcom chipset, which are extremely rare. The current 7000AU features a Ralink chipset which is not AirPort compatible.

I have one of each. Let me assure you: Broadcom = Worky, Ralink = No Worky * cries *

jobe
9th June 2005, 09:52 PM
if you read my post a few posts back, you&#39;ll see that you can infact get ralink mac drivers. However they are not compatible with tiger. I seem to remember someone here running a ralink chipset card, I think it might have been ipod_man?

MightyAtom
11th June 2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jobe@Jun 9 2005, 10:22 PM
if you read my post a few posts back, you&#39;ll see that you can infact get ralink mac drivers.
Fully aware of that fact, I&#39;ve used them and hated them. However that would simply make it a generic wireless card. This thread is about PCI "AirPort" cards, hardware that works natively with Apple&#39;s own drivers and software.

voidboi
14th June 2005, 12:47 PM
I have been told from the site that this card:
http://www.surpass.com.au/content/standard...oductinfo=18006 (http://www.surpass.com.au/content/standard.asp?name=ProductInfo&productinfo=18006)

uses a broadcom chipset, i&#39;ll try and pick up one this week and see how it goes

MightyAtom
15th June 2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by voidboi@Jun 14 2005, 01:17 PM
I have been told from the site that this card:
http://www.surpass.com.au/content/standard...oductinfo=18006 (http://www.surpass.com.au/content/standard.asp?name=ProductInfo&productinfo=18006)

uses a broadcom chipset, i&#39;ll try and pick up one this week and see how it goes
The photo on that website is of the old Broadcom version F5D7000AU however Belkin stopped using Broadcom chipsets about six months ago. I&#39;d be surprised if the store still has the older version in stock, though it&#39;s not impossible.

It&#39;s easy enough to tell the difference by looking at the packaging, I have one of each. The top red box is the old Broadcom version, the bottom white box is the Ralink version.

pipsqeek
16th June 2005, 12:00 AM
What chipset does the new one use?

I ask because its bloody hard to find a wifi card that supposedly works with Linux. Broadcom does not :(

pipsqeek

MightyAtom
16th June 2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jun 16 2005, 12:30 AM
What chipset does the new one use?
The new one uses a Ralink chipset, most of the major brands do also D-Link, Netcomm etc.

voidboi
17th June 2005, 04:35 PM
update: the above card WAS a ralink card (even though the sales person said over email that it WAS a broadcom card) i took one look at the box and decided not to buy it (as it was the fully covered PCB version)

so i went into harvey norman and bought a F5D7001AU card... it&#39;s one of the 125G cards, and works perfectly as an airport extreme card. (looks identical to the original F5D7000)

EDIT: and the F5D7001AU uses a broadcom chipset

Rayd
17th June 2005, 04:46 PM
125G? whats that? is that the 100mbps ones?

voidboi
21st June 2005, 11:22 AM
It works fine at 54Mbps, i&#39;m not sure if it goes up to 108Mbps cause I don&#39;t have any other compatible hardware to test it with.

bonifatio
21st July 2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Aug 6 2004, 05:38 PM
I am happy to inform you guys that the LinkSys WMP54G works.

Although I did notice that the reception is erratic and not that great. I feel this is more to do with the card or the antenna on it. When I fitted an Airport card to it when the iBook was in hospital, the reception was fine. 100% all the time.

The distance to the WAP is about 8 meters, through one wall.

My iBook with the airport card had better reception 50 meters away in a steel shed. through 2 walls also.

But never the less. It works fine, there are no dropouts, and Its 54g.

Thanks for the idea.

Steve
Will you kind enuff to inform which version of WMP54G that works on your machine ??
Coz I tried WMP54G ver4 (WMP54GV4) with no luck ..
I&#39;m trying WMP54GS tomorrow .. i heard it uses Broadcom chipset as well

kramer
4th August 2005, 03:17 PM
Hi,

I have just been told that there are issues with the Orangeware Driver for later versions of Atheros cards (DWL-G520 rev B4) for Mac.

This is the email I got from Orangeware.

We have found an issue with the newer Atheros chips where our driver does recognize the card yet no signal strength is ever able to be seen. In addition the browsing for wireless networks never shows any. We are working on a resolve, please check back with us soon.

Support Dept.

OrangeWare Corporation

support@orangeware.com

Kramer.

W2ttsy
17th August 2005, 09:52 PM
im running the belkin card in my gigabit ethernet G4.

has worked flawlessly under 10.3.8, 10.3.9, 10.3 Server, and 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2.

also has computer to computer networking support, and auto detects any networks that come into range. exactly the same way as the original Apple Airport card in my laptop.

note, this was out of the box, and didnt require drivers.

W2ttsy

pipsqeek
4th October 2005, 04:05 PM
Just a heads up as I&#39;ve seen some mention of Ralink chipset cards.

Ralink have released Linux drivers, as well as Mac OS X (10.3 & 10.4) drivers as well.

They are supporting open source in a big way now, which is nice, cause I know have a Ralink card in my Shuttle X running in SuSE 9.3 with their supplied drivers.

I also downloaded the Mac OS X drivers and gave it a go, worked first time, flawlessly.

Another option if you can&#39;t buy Broadcom cards.

Also, just read your question bonifatio. As far as I am aware, Version 1 of the card only works, as the other versions, as you say, V4, no longer has the broadcom chipset in it. Though there are other cards that use that now.

pipsqeek

Currawong
14th January 2006, 12:40 PM
Has anyone bought a recent card that works with Tiger?

Edit: Discovered that the wirelessdriver free software has been updated for tiger here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34453) though I have yet to try it.

pipsqeek
5th May 2006, 11:56 AM
I am contemplating buying the current Linksys WMP54GS to try and see if it has a Broadcom chipset and works in Tiger.

RaLink are infact supporting OS X, among all the other OS&#39;s. It appears that the RT2500 Chipset is supported for OS X at this stage.

Just as an update. If anyone happens to see a wifi card that has a broadcom chipset in it. Please post it here.

Thanks
pipsqeek

tempestas
10th May 2006, 08:45 AM
Not having my working pcmcia Belkin card handy I can&#39;t tell which of the 5 revisions it is that has the Broadcom chip.

Can anyone give me a heads up?

I think it was the vers 1 and 2 with vers 3-5 using the other chip but its a bit of a stab in the dark.

Pismo
10th May 2006, 09:51 AM
My PMCICA Belkin 802.11 g is a version 1 it has the broadcom chip set

pipsqeek
24th May 2006, 11:12 PM
I just got a Cnet 54g Wifi card that uses the RaLink chipset.

Though I did noticed, as I have a few of these cards laying around, there are various versions, all RaLink. But different revisions. Some of them appear to work, while others do not.

Still having issues finding a good Broadcom based card. They were plentiful at one stage, and now are hard to find. Seems most manufacturers are leaning towards RaLink..... they must be cheaper to manufacture or something.

pips

pipsqeek
27th May 2006, 03:01 PM
The RaLink drivers/software is crap.

Now that I got that off my chest, I am thinking of going on a quest to get as many broadcom based PCI wifi cards as possible, and testing them in various macs I have here at home.

I am even thinking of the possibility of going to Hardly Normals and buying various cards that I think may work, and returning the one&#39;s that don&#39;t. :) In the name of "science" :P

Naturally, once I have a large quantity of cards, I will more then likely offer them to ATAU members at reasonable prices.... of course higher then what I bought them for, payment for the work I am about to embark on, and a guarantee that it will work in any PCI slot in your mac.

What do people think of this idea?

jmd
26th July 2006, 11:07 AM
I&#39;m about to start looking for a card to put in my G4 Xserve (wife wants the noisy beast moved to the back of the house&#33;).

I gather I should still be looking for anything with a Broadcom chipset.

I also note that the Xserve&#39;s PCI slots are recessed at the rear of the machine by a good 2.5 cm - is this likely to be an issue with the antenna connector on the rear of the card (ie do they stick out far enough?).

Finally, anyone know of issues putting such a card in a G4 Xserve (other than the network performance hit).

Regards,

JMD

pipsqeek
26th July 2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, You should still find a card with the broadcom chipset.

Most PCI cards have manouverable antennas. So you should still be able to fit them.

Not testing any cards in Apple Servers, I am unsure what issues there would be. Though I can&#39;t think of any that would occur. :)

Good luck with the test. I&#39;d like to hear about the results.

Cheers
pipsqeek

jmd
26th July 2006, 01:11 PM
OK - being the impatient type, I ran out to a local store and brought a:
<blockquote>Belkin F5D7000au (version 3000a)</blockquote>
It is not recognised by the Apple Airport Software :(

It is recognised by the Ralink software located on:
<blockquote>Ralink Drivers Page (http://www.ralink.com.tw/supp-1.htm)</blockquote>
Using 11g-RT2500, PCI/MiniPCI/CardBus, 2005/06/21, Drv1.0.0.0, 10.4.X.

I really don&#39;t like their interface, but I can confirm that it works under OSX.4 Server.
However, it appears that the card will only become active once the Ralink software is run. Currently, this requires me to log in after a system restart. (I will research on starting it as a service)

Given that the whole purpose was to run the Xserve as a headless, wireless server in a remote part of the house, I am still a fair way from a useful solution.

Not having had any experience with the Apple Airport Client Software - once configured, does it start up as a service without the need for a user to login following a system restart?

Regards,
JMD

jmd
27th July 2006, 03:40 PM
Greetings all,

I can confirm that at least one PCI card currently on the market works with the Apple Airport Software:

<blockquote>Buffalo/Uniden WLI2-PCI-G54S</blockquote>

I found them at Dick Smith Powerhouse and Harvey Norman for around AU&#036;99.

The Linksys WMP54GS which is listed on the rapla site is also still available for around &#036;125 - but I have not purchased and/or tested this (Pipsqeek?)

Anyway, got the Buffalo installed on the Xserve and linked to my network, still need to test whether the server will come back up with the card active without intervention.

BTW: While I didn&#39;t like the look of the Ralink configuration tool - now that I have played with the Airport configuration - I actually think the Ralink tool was easier&#33;

Regards,

JMD

pipsqeek
27th July 2006, 04:27 PM
That&#39;s great news.

Thanks for taking the plunge, to which it&#39;s been unfortunate for me having zero time to go out and purchase a Linksys card to see if it can work.

:(

I can only assume I&#39;ll have a little time in the next coming months. June/July is a hectic month for me.

pipsqeek

jmd
27th July 2006, 05:09 PM
Final test complete on OSX.4 Server - can confirm that using Apple Airport Software the server will automatically login to the wireless network without intervention on restart.

Good reason for those with servers to use an airport compatible card for wireless.

So in summary:

* G4 Xserve
* OSX.4 Server
* Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S wireless network card

Can be used to run all server functions via Apple Airport Software without need for wired network and any user intervention.

Regards,

JMD.

Alec Fraser
30th July 2006, 01:03 PM
I&#39;ve been looking for an Airport compatible wireless NIC for my B&W G3 for a couple of weeks. The one I&#39;ve got is a Ralink based one, which connects to other PC&#39;s and the network but won&#39;t let me browse the net or anything like that.

I&#39;ll definately be picking up a Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S, and for anyone else who&#39;s looking for one, I&#39;ve found an online store that stocks them for &#036;80 including shipping here (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/default.asp?category=Networking+%26+Storage&subcat=Buffalo+Wireless&openmenu=10). The picture next to the card is of a PCMCIA Card, but it is the right card. They&#39;ve just used the wrong image.

thorevenge
30th July 2006, 02:18 PM
I know there is a broadcom chipst in the PCI wireless cards made by Ravo.

If this helps at all?

jmd
30th July 2006, 07:25 PM
I&#39;ve found an online store that stocks them for &#036;80 including shipping[/b]

Yeah - I found that site too, but was put off by the incorrect image on their page.

An alternative source for the Buffalo card is:

Expansys (http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=114489)

I just got impatient and wanted to drive over and pick one up.....

Regards,

JMD

Alec Fraser
31st July 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the Expansys link, I&#39;ve just placed an order through them instead of the original site I linked...mainly because they accept American Express while the other site didn&#39;t.

Hopefully it won&#39;t take too long to ship, their site does say that it&#39;s ordered in on request. I&#39;m looking forward to getting my B&W up and running on wireless, so I can move it into the home office :D

stripeysocks
29th January 2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Guys

I have a BWG3 with Panther which I want to network with my macbook (airport extreme base station). I've been reading this thread and some posts over at whirlpool and just wanted to get an update on where things are at.

After reading different posts I raced out to Dick Smtih and bought a d-link PCI (the only PCI's they sold at this particular store) which I was told "should work" - it didn't and so this evening, being impatient I rushed out and bought a Belkin F5D7000au, which, like others before me, is giving me mixed results. I downloaded the ralink drivers and while the interface says I'm 100% connected to my airport with a strong signal, I can't even connect to the net. Any ideas or should I just go and get my money back?

Is the Buffalo Uniden PCI mentioned in other posts still available/worth a try (the expansys link in a posting above says it's discontinued). or any others mentioned still working for people - Linksys is the only one I can think off the top of my head...

Cheers Chaps!

bmc205
19th April 2007, 01:31 PM
I just installed a Buffalo WLI2-PCIG54S in my 867 PowerMac G4. It seemed to work right away with the built in airport drivers but then I had some odd problems. First of all, I had problems with my second monitor attached to the NVIDIA AGP graphics card (this is a card with the old Apple ACD connection). It wouldn't recognize my second monitor's true max resolution unless I restarted without the monitor attached and then plugged it in.

Then a little while later, I had problems with the connection to my D-Link router randomly dropping and then being unable to connect again.

My first thought was that there is some sort of conflict with the NVIDIA graphics card. So I took it out, restarted and let it boot up. Then I put the NVIDIA card back in and started back up again. Everything seems to be running ok now but I'm not really sure why.

I saw in another forum that the high speed version of the buffalo card (the G54S, the one I installed) is NOT compatible with OS X but have read a lot of conflicting reports on this. It seems to me that it should work because it is a Broadcom chipset.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? BTW, I got the card at a really good price at Circuit City....$29.99 after a $10 rebate in case anyone is interested in giving this a try.

bmc205
23rd April 2007, 04:34 PM
Here's an update:

I returned the Buffalo card as it continued to be buggy for whatever reason. I still haven't figured out why.

I found a report that the Belkin F5D7001 card has a Broadcom chipset while the F5D7000 no longer does. So I found the 7001 at Wal-Mart for a somewhat reasonable $50.00. I installed it and it works flawlessly. I also found that it is available on walmart.com for $10 less.

jmd
26th April 2007, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

Only slightly off topic, but still useful for the Airport Extreme (802.11g variant) deprived.

The ASUS WL-100GE type 2 PC-Card runs the Broadcom chipset and I can confirm that it is runs natively on a Pismo G3/400 external PC-Card slot under the Airport drivers in Mac OS X.4.

FYI, I managed to get one off eBay for a princely $8 (plus S&H).

Hope this is useful for all those using non-Airport Extreme enabled Powerbooks.

Kind regards,

JMD

vicmeldrew
26th April 2007, 09:07 PM
Some PCI cards are available on ebay at the moment. The seller states and the feedback confirms that they work natively with macs. $60 + postage.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190106084634&rd=1&rd=1

roscoe
10th March 2008, 11:08 AM
hi
have a look here, they have drivers for all kinds of pci cards for mac.

Wireless Driver for Mac OS X (http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html)

Edge
24th May 2008, 09:54 PM
I have just installed a D-Link DWA-556 802.11n card in my "Mac Pro" in a PCI-E slot. It appears as a native Airport Card, using the Atheros AR5008 chipset (which is the same as the DWA-552 PCI version.) Hardware version A1 , paid $110.

I had been using a D-Link USB stick with the shitty Prasys drivers. Glad to be rid of it, it worked but was temperamental.

ozslon
12th October 2008, 04:56 PM
I've got Asus PCI WL-138G v.2 from MSY, works perfectly on PPC G4
Definitely Broadcom chipset and good price.

arpie
22nd October 2008, 08:08 AM
I have a G3 & have bought Airport Express 802.11n Wi-Fi, thinking it would allow me to network with my Desktop iMac, but now find I still have to put an Airport/airport extreme card into the G3 for it to work!

Has Anyone got one (in an obsolete ibook) that they would care to part with?? or even do a swap with a setup that would work with my imac?

Arpie