PDA

View Full Version : Pixar switch to Apple

elvis
11th March 2004, 08:23 AM
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/03/10/1937258.shtml

Pixar have finally moved over to Apple and the G5 as their main production tool. A win/win situation for Mr Jobs, I'm sure.

Their render farm units are still Sun, SGI and Intel clusters, but hopefully this move at the front end will prompt Apple to pay more attention to the 3D workstation side of their development.

Here's hoping we see Quadro and FireGL cards for Mac by the end of the year!

PeterPE
11th March 2004, 04:14 PM
What of Disney? The old rumour might resurface. Disney might buy Apple, might buy Apple and Pixar! But Sony could beat Disney and grab Apple for itself. Heheh... B)

decryption
11th March 2004, 04:27 PM
You're just dying for some quality Mac CAD software aren't you elvis? :P

elvis
11th March 2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by PeterPE@Mar 11 2004, 04:14 PM
What of Disney? The old rumour might resurface. Disney might buy Apple, might buy Apple and Pixar! But Sony could beat Disney and grab Apple for itself. Heheh... B)
There's bugger all chance of that happening at the moment. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney die a natural death and the animators all get picked up by pixar in the liquidation.

Pixar represents a bit mor ethan a side cash cow project to Jobs. I think he's invested something far more personal in that than any other of his money making ventures.

But damn, I'd love to work in an office that has AN OFFICE MONKEY! I wish my bosses would get a chimp in for us to play with. :)

elvis
11th March 2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Mar 11 2004, 04:27 PM
You're just dying for some quality Mac CAD software aren't you elvis? :P
Mate, you're not wrong. I spend most of my days supporting CAD users in both 2D and architectural 3D cad, and 3D design CAD. All of them are Windows monkeys and all they do is CONSTANTLY bitch about the state of IT in general.

Then, you chuck a single graphic designer in amoungst them, and all hell breaks loose as they bitch and whinge over having to put a SINGLE MAC in an office of a hundred plus PCs.

The company in particular that I work for are so pro Microsoft it's sickening. And then they wonder why 25 of their 26 international offices get hacked into all except little old Brisbane. And the reason little old Brisbane doesn't get hacked? Because we hide our hulking big Windows network behind a few old 200MHz PCs running Linux, and the little script kiddies can't break through. For that same reason, 6 months earlier I was labelled "paranoid" and "breaking with tradition and regulation". Funny how the day after the hacks are found I'm the "hero". Bah.

Meanwhile, if AutoCAD or Microstation were on Mac, none of this crap would have happened and we'd all be blissfully unaware of the 400 virus emails we all get daily with the latest outbreak of MyDoom/Netsky/whatever.

As a 3D artisit or architect, you are limited to ArchiCAD and Maya on Mac. Not that either are a bad thing, but they are limiting in their own way. You can't accurately model an entire sporting stadium in either, for instance - which is a slight hindrance when the company you work for does just that for a living.

Add to that the fact that the best card you can get on a Mac is a Radeon. Not that I'm bagging Radeons. They are great gaming cards. But what gaming environment maps en entire Beijing city block with over 1 million polygons and 100 unique light sources? I can tell you the answer now: none. Try doing that on a gaming card, and watch your $10,000 workstation grind to a halt and crash.

So for now, any Architect designing more than a two story house or block of flats is stuck in Windows land with a copy of AutoDesk AutoCAD (preferabley with ADT too) or Bentley Microstation (With TriForma) running a Quadro video card that is PC-only. Bentley USED to support UNIX/Linux, but now even that's fallen to the wayside. So now it's Windows only, thank you very much.

Anyways, I'll end this rant here (trust me, I'll be back on that soapbox again soon).

Just hurry up, Apple, and GET ME SOME DECENT CAD SOFTWARE AND A WORKSTATION CARD TO GO WITH IT!!! The sooner I get this office full of monkeys out of Windows, the better. Although in doing so I take away all their problems, and write myself out of the job. Amusing irony, but c'est la vie!

PeterPE
11th March 2004, 09:25 PM
It's fun to watch all these rumours about how Apple is for the chop or this or that company is about to buy out Apple.

I really don't think that any big company with some spending money would put it on Apple. What would really be in it for a takeover company? Apple has too small a market share to return profits that would make the exercise worth it. Could a buy-out bring about a sudden increase in sales for Apple products because of ownership change? A Sony Macintosh?! Who knows? Maybe Apple could be a takeover target because someone wants to bury it and strip its assets?

It's all quite laughable really.

A Pixar/Apple aggregation if it happens, must do wonders for Apple and it would be good for Apple if it did so. Diversifying one's interests is a modern accepted business practice and Apple needs something like that.

What would Apple be without Steve? It could be worrisome if his Steveness left Apple or passed over to another existence. I hope Steve is looking after his health and fitness.

Caio...

mbd
11th March 2004, 09:27 PM
<What do I know>
Steve will sell Apple, just as quickly as Scott McNealy will sell Sun. Each is the daddy of their own empire and they like to run the show and be the focus of attention for their respective companies. I don&#39;t think either wants to be someone else&#39;s employee no matter how much cash is on offer...
</What do I know>

decryption
11th March 2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Mar 11 2004, 10:27 PM
<What do I know>
Steve will sell Apple, just as quickly as Scott McNealy will sell Sun. Each is the daddy of their own empire and they like to run the show and be the focus of attention for their respective companies. I don&#39;t think either wants to be someone else&#39;s employee no matter how much cash is on offer...
</What do I know>
Ditto that.
Steve Jobs wouldn&#39;t "sell" Apple, they&#39;d have to pry it from his cold dead hands.
Even more so after what happened last time....

the_argon
12th March 2004, 12:16 AM
I tend to agree with that...

I also can&#39;t see steve &#39;tainting&#39; the Apple name by merging/buying other big multi-nationals (ala. hp-compaq.) Even though they don&#39;t compare. Does anyone else think that would be a bad thing?

I mean there would be advantages, but isn&#39;t brand-name integrity more important?

EDIT: will we ever see a sony-aol-hp-dell-kodak-warner-emi-aria-lg-gmh-duracell-fox-qantas merger?

Disko
12th March 2004, 12:27 AM
Well, personally i don&#39;t know Steve Jobs well enough to be able to tell if he&#39;d merge/sell/leave apple. But i know a guy who might...

*awaits Frank-t&#39;s opinion on this*

elvis
12th March 2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by the_argon@Mar 12 2004, 12:16 AM
EDIT: will we ever see a sony-aol-hp-dell-kodak-warner-emi-aria-lg-gmh-duracell-fox-qantas merger?
Oh god I hope not. Those huge bloated corporates do absolutely nothing for innovation and the push forward. Apple has been known for a long time to be the forerunner in pushing new (and open) standards all the while maintaining a superb sense of style about the whole thing.

I do hope that Jobs holds on to Apple for as long as he can. The "death" of Apple (and lets face it, any one of those big bastard corps in control of it would mean instant death as far as all of us are concerned) would be a sad day in history for computer users everywhere.

But anyways, I doubt Pixar and Apple will merge. I also doubt either will be bought out any time soon. The recent successes of both would indicate it&#39;s unlikely, unless (as mentioned above) it&#39;s done in hostile takeover style just to destroy the company. Anyone who did that would no doubt have a few death threats in the mail shortly thereafter.

As for Pixar using Apple gear, I&#39;m hoping that means Apple will focus on X-Grid for more than just scientific evaluation. Bring on the G5 plug-in render farm&#33;&#33;&#33;

mhollis
12th March 2004, 02:39 PM
Back in 2000, Matt Drudge reported a three-way merger deal between Apple, Pixar and Disney. Well Pixar and Disney have split, mostly due to Eisner and his mis-management team. Pixar owes them two films and will find another (really happy) studio.

Apple presently has no debt. That means M & A fiends will start sniffing around because you could debt-finance a merger with Apple by cashing in on their credit and their money in the bank. What&#39;s stopping that? Some pretty involved shareholders -- and Jobs alone is not enough to prevent this. A Middle Eastern oil Shekh started buying Apple stock when it hit 14 back in the dark days when everyone was talking "demise." I bought then and sold a lot at 22. Should have held on though.

Ownership of Apple doesn&#39;t want Apple to dissappear. And most corporations would find Apple a really bitter pill to swallow, because the innovation within that company comes at the "expense" of a culture that would not be productive under many of our multi-nationals.

Apple has more market share in computers than Mercedes-Benz has in the car market. I don&#39;t see Mercedes-Benz going under any time soon.