PDA

View Full Version : garage band+md keyboard => substitute 4 A piano???

weiinadelaide
5th January 2005, 01:43 PM
i always wanted a piano. i had one when i was little, but then i was too naughty and never wanted to practise, and i used some tricks to make my piano teacher never come back again (poor girl), and then my parents gave the piano away.

now i am living by myself, can't really afford a piano, but i so wanted one. my bf's new ibook got garage band in it, and i saw the md keyboard is on sale in nextbyte for around 100 bucks. i am wondering if anyone tried that MD board? i can just use it for practise or something?

is it easy to use??

cheers
wei

decryption
5th January 2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, you can get MIDI keyboards, that for every practical sense are just like a piano.
Compared to the price of a real piano, it's practically free :P

weiinadelaide
5th January 2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jan 5 2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, you can get MIDI keyboards, that for every practical sense are just like a piano.
Compared to the price of a real piano, it's practically free :P
SOUNDS very appealing :rolleyes:

Disko
5th January 2005, 02:01 PM
"sound" is the worst thing about it. it's why piano's are expensive, they sound good. Midi sounds only as good as your hardware will let it, and generally that's not good.

But just for practising, yeah go for it.

napes
5th January 2005, 02:02 PM
Do you mean Midi Keyboard (as in controller) or is a MD keyboard something different?

Basically there's three ways you could go with keyboards for computer based music (from cheap to expensive)

[1] Midi Controller - from around $250 upwards - has no sounds of it's own, but uses the virtual instruments attached to your sequencer. Pros - cheap, Cons - the cheaper ones feel really 'plastic' and not like a piano. Best to get velocity sensitive keys! Some connect via regular midi, but a lot of newer ones via USB so no special cables required.

[2] Synth with midi in/out - also has it's own set of built in sounds, varying in quality depending on what you spend and can also be used as a midi controller. From a $few hundred to $thousands.

[3] Electric Piano with Midi Out - weighted keys, built in piano sound or sounds. Definitely most expensive option, but the weighted keys make it feel like a piano. Expect to pay over $1000 though. Worth every cent if you can afford though.

For what you're looking for (by the sounds of it), and decent quality midi controller with USB interface sounds like the go. Ones by Roland, Evolution or MAudio are all good. Stay away from cheapies - you get what you pay for.

Hope this is some help...

Squozen
20th January 2005, 02:41 PM
I'm using this one:

http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk461c.htm

Decent enough for a beginner like me, a real keyboardist would loathe it as it's not weighted or full-length.

uncyherb
21st January 2005, 09:25 AM
The cheapest, decent option around seems to be the M-Audio Keystation 49... which is available for around $200 from any apple store.

But, If you've got the money & the space, I'd go for either a 61 or 88 key model - if you are more than just a one-finger player then you'll appreciate a larger keyboard

Keystation 88es (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation88es-main.html)

The 88es has semi-weighted keys (so it feels more like a piano) and is velocity sensitive (so that soft key touches give soft sounds - not available on some inexpensive Midi controllers)

Also, I assume you're calling it a MD keyboard cause some people refer to them as a Midi-Data keyboard...

just be sure that you're getting a Midi controller that has USB out for the midi data... else you'll have to spend extra money to get a convertor to plug the unit into your bf's ibook.

funkmaster_dan
21st January 2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jan 5 2005, 02:31 PM
"sound" is the worst thing about it. it's why piano's are expensive, they sound good. Midi sounds only as good as your hardware will let it, and generally that's not good.

But just for practising, yeah go for it.
Yeah most midi sounds are generally crap, especially the ones built into your operating system, but the software instruments in Garage Band seem too sound pretty good.

This was done in Garage Band with a basic roland usb midi controller and software instruments, and if you ask me the piano sounds rather realistic.
Garage Band Example (http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/danosborne/garage.mp3)