PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Can you hear the Teen Buzz?

Jazarus
28th March 2007, 03:58 PM
Can anyone else hear this ringtone they are selling to kids?

It was originally developed to stop teens from loitering around shop fronts in the UK.
Allegedly inaudible to adults, this 17Khz ringtone has become popular among teens there looking to be able to send and receive text messages clandestinely during class.

I'm 29, I can hear it fine, I just want to know if there are others out there over 23 that can hear it too. (they say the ability to hear this high range of sound in humans starts to decline by age 20-23)

Click here for mosquito ringtone (http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Ericky.molon/20060610_RINGTONE.mp3)

ad below is for the UK, number wont work here

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4606/mosquitoringtonefq9.gif

jbillett
28th March 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm 23... can hear it fine.

hawker
28th March 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm 24 and can hear it as clear as day, even on my crappy PowerBook 12" speakers!

spilla
28th March 2007, 04:02 PM
It hurts my ears. :(

What's the point of this? There's a reason they put vibrators into phones. :)

Graham
28th March 2007, 04:09 PM
I can hear it fine at the usual (relatively quiet) volume I use to listen to iTunes - and I left teenagerdom behind a long, long time ago.

I thought they used to play Frank Sinatra in shopping centres to stop kids hanging around.

smilne360
28th March 2007, 04:09 PM
im only 20 and i cant hear it.

vibrators make too much noise for classrooms, they caught us many times.(i had the unfortunate pleasre being around when they were first making it in to skools and teachers went nazi over it.)

Goodbye
28th March 2007, 04:12 PM
Man that is annoying. Probably bad for you too :P

Almost 23 and I can (unfortunately) hear it.

jesski
28th March 2007, 04:13 PM
Crap - I pressed the wrong button! I'm 22 and I CAN hear it, even though I selected I couldn't in the poll! Mind you, I find it an irritating frequency.. so perhaps it'd be nicer not to hear it!

Jesski

HDK
28th March 2007, 04:18 PM
I'm 29, can hear it fine, but wonder, if I was a teacher, would I be able to hear it from the front of the classroom if someone were to receive an sms from the the back...

Repulse
28th March 2007, 04:19 PM
So basically we'll soon have alot of kids with this same annoying "ringtone"! Just great...:thumbdn:

zeddie2001
28th March 2007, 04:19 PM
I'm only 17, and sometimes I can hear it and sometimes I can't. I voted "no", because most of the time I can't.

The weird thing is that I don't listen to music really loud, nor do I go to concerts excessively so as to have had my hearing damaged... it's a mystery as to why I can't hear it, when most of the other kids my age can. I have to say, judging by reaction from the one class I've ever been in when someone had this tone, it's entirely useless for its stated purpose, as everyone who could hear it immediately made a big commotion, blocking their ears and such. Also, the teacher who is in her late 20s could hear it as well, and confiscated the phone.

Jimbo
28th March 2007, 04:20 PM
I think with apple speakers and other limiting factors, you are probably not only hearing the tone, but a bunch of harmonics associated with that tone.
But yes i can hear it.

Fuck, my dad can even hear it and he's pushing sixty!

speedway boy
28th March 2007, 04:23 PM
I can here it. Bloody annoying if you ask me.

I'm also a drummer and have played in rock bands over the years and I'm thirty. So a load bollocks I reckon.

BLINDER
28th March 2007, 04:26 PM
And I'm 37 and can hear it just fine and it does hurt the old ears!

mechcon
28th March 2007, 04:30 PM
ah god, I can hear it! 25 years of age!!!! AH TURN IT OFF!

marc
28th March 2007, 04:56 PM
OUCH. 31 and can hear it just fine.

Kinda silly idea though... I get the concept, but high frequencies are very easy to block, meaning you probably wouldn't hear this ring tone if your phone was in your pocket.

Another thing: just because the ring tone is a 17Khz sine wave doesn't mean your phone speaker can play back a 17Khz sine wave :)

kim jong il
28th March 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm 41 and can hear it also (iBook built in speakers are not that flash but that is what I'm on at the moment). I ticked that I couldn't and then realised it had a different pitch to my tinitus. :)

Jaffa
28th March 2007, 04:59 PM
16 yrs old and I can hear it :)

lavo
28th March 2007, 05:01 PM
It hurts my ears. :(

What's the point of this? There's a reason they put vibrators into phones. :)

There was a story in the news a month or so ago about this. Kids in class used this ringtone for their SMS alerts so the teacher couldn't here it. Vibration also makes noise, so it was the best way to "silently" hear if you had a message without the teacher knowing.

I can hear it, at the ripe old age of 31 :-) And its bloody annoying!

girlbunny
28th March 2007, 05:12 PM
I can't hear it..... OK I have plugged the speakers in now.... It is painful. Both hubby and I can hear it and it is painful.

We read about this research almost six months back and were both a little skeptical.

STK
28th March 2007, 05:17 PM
In each of our classes we asked our teachers when we played it 90% said yes and most are under 45!

stefanlod
28th March 2007, 05:36 PM
I absolutely despise this ringtone - somebody managed to play it in a packed train once. You could see most people who could hear it were clearly agitated but nobody managed to say anything. Mind you listen to it if you want a bad headache!

melted.marsbar
28th March 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm 15 and can hear it. It's sooooo annoying during class. I remember when it first reached our school - everyone had it. And it would go off 2-3 times per class. I have to admit, it was kinda funny for the first handful of times; the teachers were oblivious to why the kids randomly started shouting out "TURN IT OFF!!!" in the middle of class.

Then they found out about it and started to get angry.... Thank goodness no one uses it anymore :)

gbuikstra
28th March 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm 42 and can't here a darn thing, I thought it was not playing until my son came into the room and asked what the noise was......

thorevenge
28th March 2007, 06:08 PM
My hearing has been damaged from long years of headphone use.

I can barely hear it.

macsyd
28th March 2007, 06:11 PM
I'm 15 and can hear it. It's sooooo annoying during class. I remember when it first reached our school - everyone had it. And it would go off 2-3 times per class. I have to admit, it was kinda funny for the first handful of times; the teachers were oblivious to why the kids randomly started shouting out "TURN IT OFF!!!" in the middle of class.

Then they found out about it and started to get angry.... Thank goodness no one uses it anymore :)

Aha! I've always wondered who was signing up to those ridiculously overpriced subscription services, therefore prviding a steady income stream to flood our screens with Jamster, Hot Chat etc advertisements. It's schoolkids!

I had to argue for days to get 20c worth of carob buds at the canteen, yet every bloody kid on public transport chats away endlessly on mobiles with $5 a piece ringtones. No wonder Im becoming an old grump!

PS 31 and can hear it. Now I know what that noise on the bus is. Always thought it was the beginning of tinitus.

spilla
28th March 2007, 06:16 PM
Aha! I've always wondered who was signing up to those ridiculously overpriced subscription services, therefore prviding a steady income stream to flood our screens with Jamster, Hot Chat etc advertisements. It's schoolkids!

I had to argue for days to get 20c worth of carob buds at the canteen, yet every bloody kid on public transport chats away endlessly on mobiles with $5 a piece ringtones. No wonder Im becoming an old grump!

PS 31 and can hear it. Now I know what that noise on the bus is. Always thought it was the beginning of tinitus.

My sister spent $190 to try and get a single phone background a few years ago. :) (And she never actually got it.)

Galumay
28th March 2007, 06:18 PM
i answered for my 3 year old - he is under 23 and couldnt hear it!!

i call scam!! i dont think there is any noise, my boy is adamant and i certainly cant hear it with my 45 year old ears, completely rooted from years in the music industry!

Brains
28th March 2007, 06:54 PM
My 45-year-old ears heard it, and considering my 'computer' speakers are home-brew Tannoy and VAF threeways with a class AB 100 watt amp, they threatened to reach down my throat and choke me if I didn't stop.

Here's a thought.

Hands up those who can't hear it, consider themselves as someone who has never hammered their ears with loud music, pneumatic drills and throaty engines ... but who spends more than six hours a day working around the quiet but incessant whirr of computer fans and hard drive motors?

Any good audio engineer, speech therapist, ear-nose-&-throat doc or psychoacoustician will tell you that constant exposure to a persistant low level noise is just as damaging to the ear as (ir)regular loud noise is ... the little hairs inside your cochlea can die of fatigue from over-use just as readily as they can break due to high acoustic shock.

Ever wondered why Steve was so adamant about the original Mac not having a fan? Or why he insisted that the original iMac (his & Jon's first baby after his return) had no fan and that the hard drive be buried so as to be virtually inaudible? Or why the original Power Mac G5 was so damped and quiet, that when it was idling the only way to tell if it was on was to put your ear to the case? Steve knows why.

One of the reasons why I use an old G4 is that it doesn't need fans. I also run my old Athlon machine underclocked on purpose so it doesn't need another fan on the CPU cooler. It is also why I still keep a pair of Mac Pluses running in my music studio, because they can perform my modest computing needs without needing fans nor hard drives.

Brains

iMic
28th March 2007, 06:54 PM
It's basically as if your ears are ringing, the high pitched frequency that so many of us hate.

I'm 15, but even I hate this little tone. How pointless can it get?

GimliNZ
28th March 2007, 07:14 PM
It's basically as if your ears are ringing, the high pitched frequency that so many of us hate.

I'm 15, but even I hate this little tone. How pointless can it get?

For a fifteen year old you explained it perfectly. :)

I'm 40 and I couldn't decide whether I was hearing it or feeling it.
I just knew my ears were hurting when it was being played. :eek:

Bandersnatch
28th March 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm 29, can hear it fine, but wonder, if I was a teacher, would I be able to hear it from the front of the classroom if someone were to receive an sms from the the back...

I am way older than 23 and I hear this ring tone in my classes. The kids are mortified when I notice it.

"But Miss! You are not meant to hear it!"

We usually have a quick chat about truth in advertising. I really like that they get terribly indignant about being ripped off. I hope it makes them more savvy consumers.

iPirate
28th March 2007, 08:15 PM
vibrators make too much noise for classrooms, they caught us many times.(i had the unfortunate pleasre being around when they were first making it in to skools and teachers went nazi over it.)

It doesn't help if your pencil case vibrates its way off the desk and onto the floor...

Danamania
28th March 2007, 08:26 PM
36 here, and can't hear it through my eMac speakers with quicktime, though SoundStudio playing it with the inbuilt speakers is mildly noticeable - but the my headphones play it loud and piercingly, and the old iMac G3's inbuilt speakers pierce the entire room with it.

Dana

Danamania
28th March 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm 40 and I couldn't decide whether I was hearing it or feeling it.
I just knew my ears were hurting when it was being played. :eek:

About 10 years ago I rescued a small brown bat that bounced off the windscreen of the car - popped it unconscious into a bag, took it home and left it to recover in a large plastic tub. Later that night I peeked in, and it bounced out and flew around the room - *that* was a definite feel-it moment, I couldn't really hear its echolocation pitch, but felt it in my throat just near the hollow at the base of my neck.

I took some video of it with an SVHS-C camcorder at the time, and while the video came out fine, the bat noise screwed up the entire audio - all the levels were peaked, and normal sound going on in the background was staticky and 'crunchy' sounding when the bat was flying about. Quite curious :)

Dana

Brewster
28th March 2007, 08:40 PM
It's a horrible noise! I'm mid 40s with many years playing in & watching bands (with resulting tinnitus) and I have no trouble hearing that sound.

pipsqeek
28th March 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm 28. Been living in heavy metal gigs since I was 15. My right ear is half deaf.

I can hear the ring tone. It hurts my brain.

pipsqeek

Atomac
28th March 2007, 09:21 PM
Did you gullible has been removed from the dictionary?

theov
28th March 2007, 09:29 PM
Did you gullible has been removed from the dictionary?

Did you grammar or english at school? ;)

Erwin
28th March 2007, 09:43 PM
Mid-30s, can hear it fine.

Bart Smastard
28th March 2007, 09:59 PM
im only 20 and i cant hear it.

Yeah, I got suspended from school for having a vibrator in class. Damn Nazi teachers, I reckon they felt intimidated by the 12 inch "Man of Steel" :p

But that was along, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'm 2 weeks off 40 now and can't hear that damn ring tone.

Probably due to a combination of industrial deafness from when I was an apprentice Fitter and Turner and loud concerts/gigs/nightclubs. In fact I probably lost the ability to hear that frequency when I was at the age when I should have been able to hear it :(

Edit: I just tried listening to the sound again with headphones in case it was being drowned by the eMacs fan and still heard (or felt) nada. It's worse than I thought :eek:

Edit 2: I listened again with the headphones connected directly to the eMac rather than the socket on the Logitech speakers and I could hear a high pitched whine... but only with the volume all the way up to eleven.

Joz
28th March 2007, 10:11 PM
Another thing: just because the ring tone is a 17Khz sine wave doesn't mean your phone speaker can play back a 17Khz sine wave :)

I've just had a look at it. It's not 17Khz, only 15Khz.

I can still hear 17Khz well and I'm almost 25. See if you can here. (http://27bpm.com/temp/17khz.mp3) (I've made it the same volume as the other one). Be careful, it can hurt.

Sambo
28th March 2007, 10:18 PM
16, and I just had my headphones resting on the desk, put the volume up a touch and could hear it VERY clearly.

Jazarus
28th March 2007, 10:20 PM

I can still hear 17Khz well and I'm almost 25. See if you can here. (http://27bpm.com/temp/17khz.mp3) (I've made it the same volume as the other one)

yup I can hear that one too, and Ive clocked my fair share of headphone/earbuds listening time from the age of 14 up till today at 29. Thnx for the Audio help Joz :):thumbup:

edit: arrgh I listened to this version again this time a bit louder and it gave me an unholy headache! A bit of warning listening to this new version, probably start with low volume first!

Sambo
28th March 2007, 10:28 PM
I reckon less people will be able to hear that new 17Khz one made by Joz. It sounds a hell of a lot worse if you can hear it though. :(

Joz
28th March 2007, 10:30 PM
Maybe I should have added.. 17K is really, really high. Careful kids.

macsyd
28th March 2007, 10:41 PM
I could notice something (ie, a slight pain) with your version Joz, but I couldn't say I 'heard' anything.

iMic
28th March 2007, 10:54 PM
For a fifteen year old you explained it perfectly. :)

I try to stand out by taking a different perspective on things. ;)

I have to say the one easy solution to not getting caught with one in class is to not have the phone there at all, or to have it switched off. How many people must have their phones on in class, but never get a call or use it for anything? I know, I must sound like i'm spoiling something to certain people.

Anyway, I listened to the remixed version and it was painful. Too high a frequency for comfort. I must say, for those who can't hear it, you're very lucky. I can hear it and I seriously wish I couldn't.

lavo
28th March 2007, 10:57 PM
<snip>
Ever wondered why Steve was so adamant about the original Mac not having a fan? Or why he insisted that the original iMac (his & Jon's first baby after his return) had no fan and that the hard drive be buried so as to be virtually inaudible? Or why the original Power Mac G5 was so damped and quiet, that when it was idling the only way to tell if it was on was to put your ear to the case? Steve knows why.

One of the reasons why I use an old G4 is that it doesn't need fans. I also run my old Athlon machine underclocked on purpose so it doesn't need another fan on the CPU cooler. It is also why I still keep a pair of Mac Pluses running in my music studio, because they can perform my modest computing needs without needing fans nor hard drives.

Brains

The first iMac without fans was the Slot Load. The tray loads before them had a fan that sat just above cpu heatsink, on the base of the monitor part (I've repaired that many analogue board failures, I hate that fan!). The G4 iMacs have a fan in the top of the base, but I will admit they are whisper quiet. G5s and Intels also have a couple of fans.

The worst Mac for fan noise was the Mirror Door G4 Towers. They sent you nuts! I'm glad Apple went back to the drawing board after that model :-)

(Sorry for slightly OT folks)

applecollector
28th March 2007, 10:58 PM
I can hear the original without any issues but for the newer one i had to put up the volume a little louder to hear it correctly.
But man that sound did something to my throat!

cawivaco
28th March 2007, 11:24 PM
22 and I couldn't hear the 15kHz... But my 19 year old housemate could, so it's not my 12" PB speakers. Didn't bother with the 17 kHz version. My ears are popping now tho.

EDIT: I tried it again with the volume up and I CAN hear it. Can I change my vote... haha

drewbles
29th March 2007, 01:37 AM

I can still hear 17Khz well and I'm almost 25. See if you can here. (http://27bpm.com/temp/17khz.mp3) (I've made it the same volume as the other one). Be careful, it can hurt.

I could hear it when i turned up the volume. My 25yo Housemate just yelled 'would you please turn whatever the hell that is down right now!'

So I guess it's all lies at 17khz too :D

Gerbils
29th March 2007, 06:53 AM
I'm 32 and cannot hear it.

edit: I just tried with professional headphones and I could hear it, but it just sounds like tinnitus, not very useful as a ring tone.

macgrrl
29th March 2007, 07:21 AM
i can hear it and i'm 28 but i can also hear shoo-roos. They should make THAT into a ring tone i dont know anyone else who can hear that annoying frikkin noise. Can anyone else here hear a shoo-roo??

birdseed
29th March 2007, 07:29 AM
I'm in my 30s, I have damaged hearing (75% and severe tinitus (you know, the permanent ringing in the ears thing) - thanks Army), and I can still hear it - clear as day...
It actually sounds like an electrical device that is having some power issues.

arkenstone
29th March 2007, 08:40 AM
I hear a high pitched squeek. If that's what I'm supposed to hear...

I'm 24.

Goodbye
29th March 2007, 08:58 AM
It's interesting how high the human ear can acutally hear - there is a truck outside with two orange strobe lights flashing, and near the window I can actually hear the extremely high pitched sound they make as they fire (truck is about 20 metres away).

Danamania
29th March 2007, 09:41 AM
i can hear it and i'm 28 but i can also hear shoo-roos. They should make THAT into a ring tone i dont know anyone else who can hear that annoying frikkin noise. Can anyone else here hear a shoo-roo??

Hear and feel them both (more feel them though, deep in my throat) - vrrrrp vrrrrp vrrrrp vrrrrp vrrrrp vrrrrp vrrrrp. Not from a terribly long distance, though - perhaps a few metres. I'd fail as a roo!

Dana

bushfire
29th March 2007, 10:04 AM
apart from the link & not being able to hear it, i would say i am pleased t be able to say that i do not associate with anyone stupid enough to waste money on ringtones.

zootman
29th March 2007, 10:13 AM
Cant hear a thing (I'm 45) - my 7 year old son asked me why the iMAC was screeching - so I guess he could hear it ok. Glad I cant hear it !

Cheers

MadMuggle
29th March 2007, 10:22 AM
26, and heard it perfectly well.

Graham
29th March 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm in my 30s, I have damaged hearing (75% and severe tinitus (you know, the permanent ringing in the ears thing) - thanks Army)

Have you tried some white noise CDs which are supposed to help ease the pain from it?

dotnet
29th March 2007, 11:51 AM

And if you can't hear it don't turn up the volume too high, it'll fry your tweeters. :eek:
You've been warned...

Cheers
Steffen.

WonderBoy
29th March 2007, 01:25 PM
I can hear it. Doesn't sound like a mozzy though. More like the kind of ring in your ears when you've just walked out of a concert.

stewiesno1
29th March 2007, 01:32 PM
Nope , not a bloody thing. Turned all the sound controls up to max and still not even a peep. I think you young fellers are having me on here ! Its really an empty file devoid of any audio isn't it ? Shame on you.
Stewie

Kuma
29th March 2007, 01:38 PM
I can hear it.. but there cant be any other noise..

so I cant answer your poll... the over 23 and hearing just fine does not fit me.. over 23 and can just hear it... is more like it

edit correction I was attempting to hear the one posted just above...

I can hear the mozzie loud and clear

well clear anyway...

bushfire
29th March 2007, 02:53 PM
hey i stuck my head under my desk & next to a speaker, i could hear a hiss 0 so slightly but i did notice when it stopped. am i cool now?

MidnightMan
29th March 2007, 03:16 PM
I'm 36 and originally voted no, but then I listened close the speaker and I could just hear it.

A friend of mine has a test CD with lots of frequencies on it, up to about 25 Khz I think. He brought it into work and we were all testing our hearing on it using headphones. Most people's hearing cut out around 18 to 20 Khz.

This was around 13 years ago at uni so we were all in our early 20's. I guess my hearing hasn't deteriorated much since then I suppose.

I remember reading somewhere that out hearing is best at age 10 and goes downhill after that.

Georgina EG
29th March 2007, 04:33 PM
Would you believe it, I've always had exceptional hearing (once heard a dog whistle) and I'm highly sensitive to sound, but this thing I haven't been able to hear until now. Perhaps age and tinnitus takes a toll!

I pulled a Mac speaker to my ear and the speaker donged (why would it do that, something amiss with the speaker and not my hearing?), and then I could hear a hissing for the duration of the play. Goodness knows where that puts me now in the poll.