PDA

View Full Version : "Anonymous FTP User"

rtc
25th March 2007, 11:19 AM
My computer has added this user to my list of users, of its own accord. What is it? (okay I get the gist, but WHY does it have to be there?) Can I delete it without some program carking it when it tries to run a procedure that this account is needed for?

purana
25th March 2007, 11:48 AM
Show me a screen grab where you see this user? What have you installed recently?

rtc
25th March 2007, 12:19 PM
Latest OSX update (to 10.4.9 from 10.4.8)
Webkit (for Safari)
Acrobat 8
Stuffit 11
Kore
ProTools 6
Latest update for Office:mac 2004
Latest update for iStat Pro

I'm pretty sure none of the above would have done it except for maybe Webkit or 10.4.9.

Disko
25th March 2007, 01:15 PM
remove it. :)

See what happens. :)

iPirate
25th March 2007, 01:20 PM
At least they have no Admin privelages

Currawong
25th March 2007, 01:21 PM
rtc, going by your 10.4.9 thread you've done something or other screwy with your system, likely via 3rd party software. Nothing you've listed would be responsible.

I think you're due for a backup and erase install.

rtc
25th March 2007, 02:17 PM
rtc, going by your 10.4.9 thread you've done something or other screwy with your system, likely via 3rd party software. Nothing you've listed would be responsible.

I think you're due for a backup and erase install.

Thanks Curraawong. This is one of the rare times I've actually been able to pinpoint the culprit of a problem, due to some system stocktaking I did right before my 10.4.9 update. It ain't a third party app directly. Again, even if it's compatability with a third party app that worked fine with 10.4.8, then that still means the blame rests with 10.4.9 as far as I'm concerned.

When you say it's time, I think you are right.

However I am looking in the metaphoric mirror and observing my computer using actions, and I am seeing more and more similarities to the PC guy from the "get a mac" ads. Mindlessly (though needfully) reinstalling the operating system every now and then when it screws up sounds very much like the kind of rubbish PC users have to do in return for the continuing use of their machine, but I will have to fight this moral battle in my mind first before I succumb to doing it on my mac.

Currawong
25th March 2007, 06:49 PM
In my experience, installing a system update on a system that is in a screwy condition results in problems, so you could say updating caused the problem, but it's not the fault of the update.

purana
25th March 2007, 07:09 PM
Lets not forget, software is software and under some conditions it has problems (while not evident for others). You could moan about it until the cows come home, but if you want a fix its usually the quickest method (short of spending months troubleshooting why without much luck of fixing it).