PDA

View Full Version : Righto ! Back to 10.4.8 for me

zootman
23rd March 2007, 01:23 PM
Hi All,

Just finished an archive and install of OSX taking my 24" iMac back to 10.4.8 from 10.4.9. I had some real weird stuff happen to me on 10.4.9.

1/ TomTom go710 wouldnt show up as a disk unless plugged into USB 1.1 hub (unpowered at that !). If plugged directly to a USB port on the machine or via a USB 2.0 hub it didnt show. Seems to be a common problem according to Apple discussions and from other people here at Mactalk.
2/ My FW800 drive "hung" - I was copying some stuff to it when the icon on the desktop just disappeared and the ye olde SBOD showed up. Needed to power off and on to get out of that one.
3/ At one stage, all was well, when I went to launch an app off the dock and it sat there bouncing about 40 times and then stopped bouncing. From then on launching any app caused the same thing. I had system monitor on and noticed mds and one SystemUIServer for each app I tried to launch running the CPUs at 100% - needed to reboot for that one as well !
4/ Today - the final straw - The whole system just locked up - though iTunes in the background kept on playing. I could move the mouse, but not select any windows or start stop anything. This needed a power off/power on to get over.

Now this is very un mac like behaviour. I recently changed from a PPC mac mini and that system was rock solid. It is now my "Home Media Centre" in the lounge - it is running 10.4.9 ok.

One thing that I did change on my system (and everyone will pounce on this) is that I added a 1 GB stick of memory to bring my system up to 1.5GB about a week before going to 10.4.9. My system was running ok on 10.4.8 with this memory before I upgraded to 10.4.9. I bought the memory from a large mac retailer in Hawthorn - cant imagine they would sell dodgy RAM but I guess I could have got a bad one. TechTools reports the memory as ok FWIW.

So I've gone back to 10.4.8 and so far all is ok. I'll see how the next few days pan out.

Any one else had issues like me or am i just "special" !! :D

Cheers !

Disko
23rd March 2007, 01:24 PM
I would have archive installed to 10.4.9 and checked if everything worked on a fresh platform.

purana
23rd March 2007, 01:40 PM
I noticed something on 10.4.9, but not sure if its specific to it or not. When the machine boots and right before you get the logon dialog box to enter password. It shows the default desktop background. I noticed at that screen mouse tracking is SLOW as (and then when the logon screen kicks in its back to what it was set as, FAST).

Anyone confirm they see this pre-10.4.9 if you haven't updated.

pipsqeek
23rd March 2007, 02:02 PM
Aren't those things profile based anyway?

I've always noticed the default background and slow mouse cursor before login.

pipsqeek

zootman
23rd March 2007, 02:13 PM
Hi - I guess I could have tried going back to 10.4.9 - but I wanted to get back to a known working system - I need to use it darn it. I was a bit put off because of the TomTom business - and well, maybe I'll try 10.4.9 again later - esp if Apple put some fixes out or 10.4.10 - its not unknown for the next minor release to come out quickly on the heels of one that hasnt been out so long. Or even a re-release of the same update.

Cheers

forgie
23rd March 2007, 02:29 PM
That doesn't sound good... have you tried making a dummy account to test those various things?

Are you SURE you haven't installed any 3rd party hacks or made any system tweaks that might have been broken by 10.4.9?

zootman
23rd March 2007, 02:37 PM
Hi Again,

I dont have any hacks on my system - this is KAOS - we dont hack here ! :D

Pretty bog stanard install I would have thought - I have iLife 06, MS Office, Toast 8, Popcorn, Bluephone elite, Parallels, Firefox and a few others. I havent installed any system hacks that would change the OS behaviour - I did have Witch , Audio Hijack and Application Enhancer, but I deleted them after the 10.4.9 install and they are gone now. deleted them to see if it'd help if they were gone. Results inconclusive. I guess I can try another account - but then I'd have to take it to 10.4.9...... yikes !

oneplusone
23rd March 2007, 03:28 PM
I have found that after I updated to 10.4.9, that my phone (SE K800i) when plugged in using the USB cable causes the finder to hang when I eject it.

What happens is, as I have a memory stick in the phone, the phone show up as one disk and the MS shows up as a disk.

After putting whatever files I put on the MS, I eject either the Phone of the MS.

What happens next is that the other disk that is not ejected cannot be ejected (yet the phone says it is safe to disconnect ), so I have to just unplug the cable and get the Disconnect warning.

Than the finder hangs and I have to force shutdown the Mac and restart (which seems to take quite a while longer than usual) - I have tested by leaving the hanging finder overnight to see if it righted itself, but it didn't.

All of this except the hang used to happen before 10.4.9, but now I can't really connect my phone to the Mac anymore without risk of crashing.

I don't want to connect via bluetooth because i'm copying music & video and it will take about 40 kajillion years.

Anyone had similar problems???

godsdice
23rd March 2007, 03:40 PM
missing sync still as slow and as unreliable as ever..no change in any part of the system all ok
imac G5 20"

Shatter
23rd March 2007, 03:41 PM
My Network Settings have been stuffed. Not sure if 10.4.9 is to blame.

forgie
23rd March 2007, 03:46 PM
I have found that after I updated to 10.4.9, that my phone (SE K800i) when plugged in using the USB cable causes the finder to hang when I eject it.

What happens is, as I have a memory stick in the phone, the phone show up as one disk and the MS shows up as a disk.

After putting whatever files I put on the MS, I eject either the Phone of the MS.

What happens next is that the other disk that is not ejected cannot be ejected (yet the phone says it is safe to disconnect ), so I have to just unplug the cable and get the Disconnect warning.

Than the finder hangs and I have to force shutdown the Mac and restart (which seems to take quite a while longer than usual) - I have tested by leaving the hanging finder overnight to see if it righted itself, but it didn't.

All of this except the hang used to happen before 10.4.9, but now I can't really connect my phone to the Mac anymore without risk of crashing.

I don't want to connect via bluetooth because i'm copying music & video and it will take about 40 kajillion years.

Anyone had similar problems???
Have you installed any drivers or software to get your phone talking to your mac? Or are you just plugging it in?

AusMac
23rd March 2007, 04:41 PM
I have had no issues at all with 10.4.9.
fingers crossed.

rtc
23rd March 2007, 04:50 PM
I've had quite a few unresolved minor annoying issues that I can confidently blame 10.4.9 for and exclude any other source of blame. E.g. finder shortcuts not working consistently (e.g. cmd-opt-ctrl-eject for shut down).

pip is right the mouse thing has always been, it starts at the default tracking speed then after you login it sets it to the system settings of your user. This (as you describe it, anyway) is not a 10.4.9 issue.

Bring on leopard.

Disko I agree with the archive/install idea but must admit I only do this for major updates, not the minor step that was from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9.

iPirate
23rd March 2007, 05:06 PM
the finder hangs and I have to force shutdown the Mac and restart (which seems to take quite a while longer than usual) - I have tested by leaving the hanging finder overnight to see if it righted itself, but it didn't.

Try relaunching the Finder from the force quit menu. I found this useful when testing a friend's FTP server (if the Finder crashed on connecting, the server wasn't working) but still being able to use iChat whilst the Finder was stuffed. I didn't have to restart at all. But then again that's just one experience.

neg2led
30th March 2007, 05:35 PM
It broked rosetta! NONE of my PowerPC apps work.

--neg

something2sea
30th March 2007, 06:07 PM
haven't had any issues on any of my macs (well, did on PB, but, i think that's hardware and not software related)

EDIT: The G3 is running Panther (10.3.9) so that doesn't count, so, yeah, but other people i know of haven't had issues on their machines

iMic
30th March 2007, 06:27 PM
No problems with 10.4.9 here, except that the iPod has stopped charging correctly. I'm not sure if to issue this as a 10.4.9 issue though, as I updated iTunes to 7.1.1 as well.

I've run a G4 Firmware update to 4.2.8, so i'll retest with the firmware update in place.

Brains
30th March 2007, 06:43 PM
I know of two people with iBook G4's who had all the fans stop working once they updated to 10.4.9 ... the fans started working after a re-install to 10.4.8 though.

I haven't seen so much talk about problems with an OS update in ages.

B.

zootman
30th March 2007, 07:48 PM
Hi All - I've now been back on 10.4.8 for a week and the system has been very well behaved. Now, I am wondering, is it because of the archive/install (that may have fixed some underlying issues - though these werent evident on my 10.4.8 system prior 10.4.9) or is 10.4.8 just "nicer" than 10.4.9 ? Should I now combo update to 10.4.9 or leave well enough alone until either a/ Leopard or B/ 10.4.10 ?

Cheers