PDA

View Full Version : MS Access Apps on OS X, Possible?

BiRDBRAiN
3rd January 2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of looking at changing my laptop and am intrigued by the iBooks, as I do a lot of web base stuff and I like the unix that is part of OS X.

Anyway, I work somewhere, where I need to run MS Access which I think is the only thing I am having trouble at finding a replacement for.

Is there anyone out there who has used any of the emulators with an MS Access made application, and what is the performance like and what hardware?

Thanks in advance.

suryo
3rd January 2005, 04:10 AM
Have you checked out FileMaker?

Paxton
3rd January 2005, 07:58 AM
I have Access and FileMaker Pro on my Dull, and I prefer File Maker any day. It is more user friendly, and whilst different to Access, it works, and seems to be more flexible. Check it out.
FileMaker (http://filemaker.com)

Flinders1231
3rd January 2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Birdbrain,

I am moving to an iMac & no doubt dacing similar issues to you. I would have thought an iBook might be a little underpowered if you want to do some serious work & certainly VPC7 might not be that practical on an iBook? At the end of the day using an emulator is a "makeshift" solution. The bottom line seems to be you should do everything you can to use Mac applications - with VPC7 used for transition & those apps you just can't find a replacement for.

Flinders1231
3rd January 2005, 09:01 AM
Birdbrain,

Quite a few opinions about VPC7. Seemes you need serious computing power for it to work in satisfactory manner - see this opinion from user. (http://www.akappleug.org/rev/425.html)

BiRDBRAiN
3rd January 2005, 10:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies :D

This is a case of a "legacy" application which has been developed and run for five years so I'm not starting it from scratch.

I will however be moving it to a PHP/MySQL based system so then platform isn't an issue.

But in the meantime, I do need to run Access.

If I may slightly veer off topic, how different is a powerbook from an ibook?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Thought I would add, at the end of the day I wish to allow for a mixed environment of any platform whether it be M$, Mac, Linux whatever, so just going Mac applications is still too proprietary for my liking, my 2cents worth.

decryption
3rd January 2005, 11:05 AM
Check out this thread Birdbrain about the iBook/PowerBook thing:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2697&hl=

Currawong
3rd January 2005, 05:13 PM
Basically, Powerbooks are aimed at professionals - they have a greater feature set, such as gigabit ethernet, DVI and S-Video out, faster HD options, better screens, backlit keyboard, PCMCIA (except the 12") larger L2 cache etc.

I haven't used MS Access enough to know how well it will perform in Virtual PC. VPC itself is rather slow runnning, add to that it is basically running an entire Windows OS inside an emulater, and you have RAM considerations. It does integrate well with Mac OS X though - you can drag files to and from VPC, it shares the networking and peripherals and runs off hard disk images which can be dynamically expanding if necessary. Access should be ok, unless it's a massive database that chews up a lot of CPU.

I have to say though, Access is as proprietry as you get.

BiRDBRAiN
3rd January 2005, 09:25 PM
In total agreement with you on the Access thing Currawong.

The cost in licencing the software to run the database is a pain, and then upgrading to a different version of Office, that creates its own little problems.

Thanks for that ibook/powerbook link decryption.

DVD Plaza
3rd January 2005, 11:23 PM
Dude Access performs like a b#tch when run on an actual PC - I'm not sure running in Virtual PC would be a great idea. It WILL work, but it'll be slow as sh#t...

If you're migrating away then a ripper idea might be to install Windows 2003 server on your desktop PC and install Access on that - will fly in that lean mean setup. Then use the Remote Desktop Client on your Mac to remotely look at/control the PC to use Access.

Once you're on PHP/MySQL you're set!

Rayd
4th January 2005, 12:38 AM
mac rulz PC sukz!

/me turns on triumphant attitiude and walks away.

Currawong
4th January 2005, 08:02 AM
Thankyou ipod_man for such a mature comment on what is a question posed quite seriously.

Rayd
4th January 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jan 4 2005, 09:02 AM
Thankyou ipod_man for such a mature comment on what is a question posed quite seriously.
heh thanks :D i just had to :P heyyy im 15 after all

BiRDBRAiN
4th January 2005, 09:54 AM
LOL, thanks for the responses guys.

Using it via Remote Desktop is another option I have that i didn't think of, because its only at one site that they use it.

In the long term Access has been a lot of trouble, and I detest coding in ASP <_< I much prefer PHP, having to restart IIS every week or so gets to be a pain.

the_OM
11th January 2005, 12:58 AM
Birdbrain, I was reading Macnn today and remembered your query on MS access, and well there is an app that can convert MS Access databases into Filemaker Pro databases. (http://www.fmpromigrator.com/products/fmpro_migrator/)

Also Filemaker is available for both windows and mac, so it would fit in with your mixed environment.
Just thought it might be something you could look into if your still stuck for a solution.

BiRDBRAiN
11th January 2005, 07:59 AM
Ah thanks mate, thats great&#33;

I&#39;ll have a read. I&#39;ve been fortunate enough to keep my PC laptop as well as to purchase an ibook so that will be interesting to read that link as I am always interested in moving away from proprietary type systems.

My next attack will be on an Exchange server setup once I&#39;ve converted the Access system to a PHP/MySQL setup.

Jmi
11th January 2005, 09:55 AM
BirdBrain,

First of all, Sorry for the late post.
My place of work has 2 companies under the same roof. They solely on macs and their main work involves MS-Access. I think the boss love macs but due to most corporate clients they got, they seems to choose MS-Access for some reason.

Anyways, lets not get into that. From what I seen on their Ti and Alu pbooks, they run VPC 6 and had a gig of ram. The VPC and MS-Access seems to run with no problems. They do alot of macros, forms and huge datasets.

Just to let you know what I&#39;ve seen. Don&#39;t know if it helps. :P

BiRDBRAiN
11th January 2005, 11:19 AM
Cheers for sharing.

Good to know what is needed to run it on VPC.