PDA

View Full Version : Internet site incompatability issue - BIG problem

cbennie
22nd March 2007, 12:00 PM
I've got some very important online software/database that my colleagues need to access. We are an all MAC site and the site will not run properly on our macs. I've tried Safari, Firefox, Camino, Opera and even the last version of IE but with no success. I've tried Safari Enhancer and tried all the options in the User Agent menu......no luck.

Yes- I know it's lazy programming/coding..........and No - I'm not happy.

My gut feeling is I'm up the preverbial creek without a paddle but if anyone has any ideas!

And before anyone suggests it - no, we do not have intel machines, can not run Parallels and no we can't afford to upgrade

Chris

Disko
22nd March 2007, 12:02 PM
Which site are you trying to access?

cbennie
22nd March 2007, 12:12 PM
Which site are you trying to access?

Hi Disko

It's a secure site - for employees only and therefore I can't share it around for people to 'fiddle' with. Error records in Firefox/Safari show lots of parsing errors which is all a bit over my head.....

marc
22nd March 2007, 12:18 PM
It sucks, but maybe Parallels running IE7 is your only option...
(and send a nasty email to the site devs!)

Disko
22nd March 2007, 12:20 PM
(and send a nasty email to the site devs!)Agreed.

If it's your work, and you've all got macs, then who on earth made the site? How did you access it before?

MacDave
22nd March 2007, 12:23 PM
Fact is there are some sites out there that simply don't load properly in browsers other than IE 6 or above on Windows.

If this is the case, have you considered running Virtual PC + Windows (win2k is usually the fastest) ?

Dave

cbennie
22nd March 2007, 12:23 PM
Agreed.

If it's your work, and you've all got macs, then who on earth made the site? How did you access it before?

Without going into detail - we are a school, written by the Education Department - and Macs don't always (rarely) factor into their thinking.

jbillett
22nd March 2007, 01:22 PM
If this is the case, have you considered running Virtual PC + Windows (win2k is usually the fastest) ?

Dave
iirc, virtual PC came with MS Office and the whole thing was available for around $30 under the Microsoft Education Agreement thing. If your particular school isn't directly a member, possibly it could be provided by the Dept. of Education?

Currawong
22nd March 2007, 02:04 PM
Any way to get a hold of some or other cheap or unused (ex govt!) pc or pc's?

dotnet
22nd March 2007, 02:21 PM
My gut feeling is I'm up the preverbial creek without a paddle but if anyone has any ideas!

I wouldn't worry too much about that, seems they've got plenty of paddles there.

Cheers
Steffen.

samwalk
22nd March 2007, 03:58 PM
check out http://www.iemulator.com/getiemulator.php

It is cheaper than virtual pc