PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto update glitch

Georgina EG
19th March 2007, 07:57 PM
I've updated to 10.4.9 then a couple of days later did the iPhoto 6.0.6 update. but my iPhoto still reads 5.0.4.

Also, a photograph has been blacked out, and I've had messages coming up saying:-

"Unreadable files: 241 The following files could not be imported (they may be unrecognised file type or the files may not contain valid data)"

But why should anything be imported when it's merely an update? The icon on my desktop resulting from the download reads:- iPhoto_606.dmg and if I click onto it, up comes a window with an icon shaped like an open box reading iPhoto_606.pkg. A white icon also appears on the desktop reading iPhoto 6.0.6 but it does nothing if I click onto it.

The chances are in my tired and upset state lately (problems at my mum's nursing home) that I've done something wrong with the iPhoto update, but I would certainly appreciate some advice and help please.

Georgina EG
19th March 2007, 08:47 PM
Does anyone have an idea what's gone wrong?

luke_in_tas
19th March 2007, 08:55 PM
What version of iPhoto did you have before you applied the update? If you had iPhoto 5 you can't apply the iPhoto 6 updates—they are designed only to update iPhoto 6. You have to buy iLife '06 to upgrade iPhoto from version 5 to 6.

dotnet
19th March 2007, 08:56 PM
Also, a photograph has been blacked out, and I've had messages coming up saying:-

"Unreadable files: 241 The following files could not be imported (they may be unrecognised file type or the files may not contain valid data)"

But why should anything be imported when it's merely an update?

I hope you have a backup of your photos. Newer versions of iPhoto often change the library structure, hence after the upgrade your old library gets imported into the new iPhoto.

The icon on my desktop resulting from the download reads:- iPhoto_606.dmg and if I click onto it, up comes a window with an icon shaped like an open box reading iPhoto_606.pkg. A white icon also appears on the desktop reading iPhoto 6.0.6 but it does nothing if I click onto it.

If you double-click the disk image (.dmg) file the disk image gets mounted as a volume (the white icon on the desktop) and opened in a Finder window. Double-clicking the volume icon will open it in a Finder windows, but since you've already got that open nothing happens. Inside the volume there's a software package (the box icon). If you double-click that icon the software package will get installed.

Should it refuse to install (for example, claiming that it is already installed) you may need to remove the package receipt file from the previous botched upgrade. The receipt in this case is /Library/Receipts/iPhoto_606.pkg.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

dotnet
19th March 2007, 09:04 PM
You have to buy iLife '06 to upgrade iPhoto from version 5 to 6.

Indeed. Luke is right.

Did you try to upgrade from 5 to 6? It shouldn't have let you do that.

Cheers
Steffen.

Georgina EG
19th March 2007, 09:13 PM
Yes Luke, I have version 5, so this is probably the answer. Thank you, I thought they automatically updated from one to the other. I think I lost just one photograph, but I can't be certain, I've now deleted the one blackened out, and put the 6.0.6 icon in the trash. Ah well, I'll just leave things as they are then, nothing seems to have damaged the rest of the shots.

Edit. And dotnet, I suppose the messages were telling me that I couldn't do it, we computer simpletons need more simple messages such as "You can't update version 6 if you only have version 5!" :o

AusMac
19th March 2007, 09:42 PM
I have version 6.0.4 and it still would not find a suitable candidate to update to 6.0.6.

The answer? Maybe it only updates from 6.0.5?

edit: I'll try again now that I have repaired permissions.. wow that's the first time I have seen every permission repaired .. since Jaguar<Panther.. ;)

soulman
19th March 2007, 09:43 PM
You can check this by running software update & seeing what it tells you needs installing. I have noticed this behaviour with iWeb & a few other iApps.

AusMac
19th March 2007, 09:46 PM
my connection was down the last three days so running software update was useless.

Edit: this time at least, the installer gave me the license agreement; agree/disagree buttons.

Still, here is the next image.

Edit again .. this should be below the image .. ;) Software update now tells me 6.0.5 is what I need. ?

OK

Georgina EG
19th March 2007, 10:08 PM
Interesting soulman about checking Software Update. I checked after seeing the notice on MacTalk and mine didn't include the 6.0.6, so I thought it hadn't caught up. I subsequently tried to update from the notice on MacTalk, hence my problem.

AusMac
19th March 2007, 10:18 PM
iTunes specifically, consistently screws up the packages done via software update.. I use the apple software update http: page to download it. thus tend to do most of it via there.. this way I can also get the combo updates of the system. I just grabbed 6.0.6 and didn't look to see if I needed 6.0.5 :rolleyes: