PDA

View Full Version : Menu Bar - Ordering of Menulets/Menu Extras

Flinders1231
19th March 2007, 07:29 PM
I like using the Menu Bar for ready access for a range of "informational services" I use. I would like to tidy the Menu Bar up to improve convenience - so those items I regularly use are in the same area.

As far as I can acertain the order of menu items is determined by the load order as per log-in items & also the time taken to load the relative application.

Apparently a crude solution to this problem is to delete these apps from (auto) log-in & then add again in the desired sequence. As some applications take longer to load than others any out of sequence listing in the Menu Bar "may" be dealt with by doing the process again and placing the slow loading App earlier in the queue.

There has to be a better solution - with all the various utilities that people create - surprised there is not one for this issue - or is it insoluble?

Interested in solutions ;-)

soulman
19th March 2007, 07:30 PM
Command-drag is your friend.

Flinders1231
19th March 2007, 07:47 PM
Command-drag is your friend.

Command drag does not work for all Menu Bar items - in my case only a couple of Menu Items - these are "Apple & NSMenu Extra" menulets - the other system relates to "NSSStatus Item" menulets which are rock solid unmovable - or as far as I know are?

soulman
19th March 2007, 09:04 PM
The only one I can't move with command-drag is the Spotlight menu. Just out of interest, what have you got that can't be moved this way?

Flinders1231
19th March 2007, 09:20 PM
Several - but for example; Skype, MainMenu, Textexpander, Library Books, Pathfinder.

forgie
19th March 2007, 10:04 PM
Tell the developers of all those utilites to get off their asses and implement a proper, modern OSX menulet! ;)

If the dev has done their job properly, it should be draggable. I'm going to do some detective work with fseventer - I'll report back in a minute (hopefully with a hack).

Edit:

Okay, the file you want to modify is: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

Open it in Property List Editor, then navigate to Root -> menuExtras -> then you have a list of your menu bar items. You can now use the "New Sibling" and "Delete" buttons, or just copy and paste, to manipulate the location of your menu bar items. Note that they are in order, left to right as you go down the last.

Let me know if this works or it didn't make any sense.

AusMac
19th March 2007, 10:50 PM
^Not going to work with the Apple menu .. for sure ;)

forgie
19th March 2007, 11:22 PM
No, neither the Apple menu or the Spotlight menu are in the .plist! All of the Apple ones, as well as my 3rd party ones were though.

BTW if you edit the .plist, you'll have to logout and log back in to make the menu update itself. At least I did.

MacDave
20th March 2007, 05:29 AM
No, neither the Apple menu or the Spotlight menu are in the .plist! All of the Apple ones, as well as my 3rd party ones were though.

BTW if you edit the .plist, you'll have to logout and log back in to make the menu update itself. At least I did.

In terminal, killall SystemUIServer <-restarts the menubar. That should work rather than logging back in.

If the dev has done their job properly, it should be draggable. I'm going to do some detective work with fseventer - I'll report back in a minute (hopefully with a hack).

BTW, glad to see you're coming up with neat uses for fseventer. =)

Dave